44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 131 Old 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

bike A and Bike B are both stock and make identical horsepower
Bike A gets head work done and a full exhaust
Bike B gets the same full exhaust

Which bike has a larger increase in horsepower? Both bikes get tuned after the install. Bike A has a higher potential to make power so does that mean the gains are less than the stock bike with full exhaust?

The more an engine is modified to allow more air the higher the potential for any further part that affects air the more adverse the changes will be either good or bad.

ie Motomax velocity stacks might show zero to no gain on a lightly modified engine or even on a dyno because they are not the restriction yet, but with a higher modified engine for airflow or changes in dp across the stacks at speed they either flow better or increase airflow and velocity for better cylinder filling.
CanyonCarver and Neonmarine like this.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 131 Old 01-30-2019, 05:04 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

that is why, moods are tested both dyno, data loger and gps data...
realpsi likes this.
post #113 of 131 Old 01-30-2019, 05:34 PM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
I bet spending $300-$400 on rider training gains you more than 5hp ever would...
CanyonCarver and realpsi like this.

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"There’s a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 131 Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

yes, a friend of mine on a MT-10 kept like 15 riders on sportbikes behind him on 2-3rd gear turns for 30kms....

lets keep on track on the subject
Neonmarine likes this.
post #115 of 131 Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Vike is Euro, yes. With KN filter. Euro bikes dont have restictions. When i opened my ecu with woolich everthing was set properly, ignition, fuel, plates. Tryed searching for change by changing ignition on dyno but we lost power and put stock timing back on.It was running rich around 12.0. We corrected that to 13.0-12.8 and gained 2hp. My point is there was no restrictions like on the US bikes. So far me the best beneffit from Woolich was removing the imobilizer since I lost my keys, and Kawasaki immo i such a pain in the ass. As far as the intake, I tend to believe it works, it is just the thing it does, when you think of it, it makes sence. Not saying 10hp gain, but I will be happy 3-4 hp after remapping. Motomaxx stacks are bullshit, at least for me. Also, stacks in general are hard to make benneffit from on modern bikes. Stacks in general have a lot room for mistake, too complicated matter a lot of R&D involved. While this, this is simple and the way it works is simple. Just my two sents
post #116 of 131 Old 01-31-2019, 07:12 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I kind of wish I would've known more when I did the dyno test with the motomaxx stacks. I wish I would've had woolich or daggy so I could do some more time test vs just what the dyno said or how it did at the track. I wasn't a super consistent rider back in the day when I tested the motomaxx stacks at the track and I don't really think any of these mods are going to show much difference on the dyno without the ram air working.

I took the "birdcage" out of my intake shorty after I saw archer posting and trying to look at my logs in more detail last year I was noticing my tune was pretty decent in 3rd and 4th but was a bit rich in 1st and 2nd and was getting a bit leaner in 6th, even with my crazy drag gearing. I'd like to think this is due to just modifying the ram air. Think with this air box mod it'd make a bigger difference with air flow based on this thread.

I'm really tempted to try this mod if I can find some motivation to rip into my bike before spring and I'd really like to purchase a draggy next time ebay has a 10 or 15% off coupon for some better before and after testing.

Anybody doing this mod plan on tuning per gear or already tuning that way?
ddipaola likes this.
post #117 of 131 Old 01-31-2019, 07:23 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

C3L1CA, what mood, modding your gen4 box, or making a hybrid one....
post #118 of 131 Old 01-31-2019, 08:36 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
I kind of wish I would've known more when I did the dyno test with the motomaxx stacks. I wish I would've had woolich or daggy so I could do some more time test vs just what the dyno said or how it did at the track. I wasn't a super consistent rider back in the day when I tested the motomaxx stacks at the track and I don't really think any of these mods are going to show much difference on the dyno without the ram air working.

I took the "birdcage" out of my intake shorty after I saw archer posting and trying to look at my logs in more detail last year I was noticing my tune was pretty decent in 3rd and 4th but was a bit rich in 1st and 2nd and was getting a bit leaner in 6th, even with my crazy drag gearing. I'd like to think this is due to just modifying the ram air. Think with this air box mod it'd make a bigger difference with air flow based on this thread.

I'm really tempted to try this mod if I can find some motivation to rip into my bike before spring and I'd really like to purchase a draggy next time ebay has a 10 or 15% off coupon for some better before and after testing.

Anybody doing this mod plan on tuning per gear or already tuning that way?
The airbox modification is going to be one of those Dragy (one G not two) proven mods. Not dyno proven. Can't give you an exact number but, for example, you might shave 1 whole second off acceleration 60-180 or something, yada yada. If you talk to EJR perf. he's got some dragy data he'd be more than happy to share. I would imagine that doing the mod also allows air to enter the airbox more equally and less turbulent too. It would just make tuning per cylinder a little cleaner.

Going into tuning per cylinder, that's actually the only benefit to something like short stacks (aka the Motomaxx stacks). Equal air, equal fueling, in a sense. MWR released their HE and Race filters (with air distribution plates) to force the air in the direction of the stacks vs allowing the airbox to redirect it. When I dyno'd my bike on short stacks and an HE filter I got the same thing mpp12 got... zilch lol. The bike made literally Zero additional gains. So I wouldn't say short stacks or equal fueling is going to make for "more" power per se', but I would say it's supposed to smooth out your power curve. That's probably why SBU uses them in combination with an auto-tune unit on their race bike.

ypyk_xau, that's what I would do before you dyno. Get a GPS tool, get some pre-tuned data. Get your tune, and then get some post-tune data. Make this baby street proven.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 01-31-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #119 of 131 Old 01-31-2019, 09:22 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
C3L1CA, what mood, modding your gen4 box, or making a hybrid one....
I was thinking of just modding my gen 4 box similar to some of the pictures posted in this thread show, which looks like what you did years ago I am kind of curious to see what you find out if your buddy can make an extension harness and the gen 5 box picks you up anything though.

I do have the MWR WSBK filter for the gen 4 so if anything I'd try the gen 4 airbox mod and if you picked up something from doing the gen 5 swap I'd keep my eye out for a cheap gen 5 airbox.

I did find it interesting that it looks like BMC now has a filter some what similar to what MWR did with more filter area. Guess some of this stuff must really work if multiple people are doing it and manufactures are starting to make new filters for older bikes.

https://hustlehardracing.com/product...awasaki-zx10r/
post #120 of 131 Old 01-31-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Now when I know how my airbox turned out and when I check again Gen5 airbox... hmm, well.... mine turned out damn good. Gen5 could be modified too.

Is it me or .... Could use some mods. But again bigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in