Gen 3 gauges on gen 1 - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 Old 03-13-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey Boo, yeah we're converting the gps voltages into a signal. The man helping me ( he's doing the code writing) is using a Pro Mini board as the prototype board. He just informed me there may be a problem with the speedometer (interupt) because of not enough room on the pro mini. If that's the case I will just use his adapter for the gear indicator and use a Speedohealer for the speedometer, but I noticed the healer only adjust 99% ?? you used the healer correct ??
Here's why I asked for help on the forum, Mike ( my programmer ) and I are over 2 hrs apart. He is writing the code and I'm doing all the testing, pulling the voltages, frequencies and so forth. Mike has bench tested the adapter then when you put it on the bike as with anything issues arise, so it's back to adding a resister or filtering signal and so forth. You know how it goes. I asked for assistance to try and eliminate problems before we ran into them. Everything works great so far except issues with the speedometer. We'' see if this new adapter works,
I know I'm not the only one who's tried this and failed so I don't feel defeated yet lol. I had bought an adapter from Tim Smith (EXTR400), the first adapter was basically for the zx6r, I discovered it didn't have the needed power for the speed sensor and sent it back to Tim where he revamped the adapter and I think with help from local guys they tested a new version of his adapter built for the zx10. He sent me a new adapter ( VERY nice) by the way, but when I put it on the bike, poof, no speedometer, just reads zero and will only show gear one. After testing the speed signal out of the adapter something just isn't working, processor or something but again the speedometer was a no go. Sucks cause his adapter was so adjustable for gears and such. Oh well. Speedohealer is looking nice lol.
MrMoto73 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak82 View Post
Hey Boo, yeah we're converting the gps voltages into a signal. The man helping me ( he's doing the code writing) is using a Pro Mini board as the prototype board. He just informed me there may be a problem with the speedometer (interupt) because of not enough room on the pro mini. If that's the case I will just use his adapter for the gear indicator and use a Speedohealer for the speedometer, but I noticed the healer only adjust 99% ?? you used the healer correct ??
Here's why I asked for help on the forum, Mike ( my programmer ) and I are over 2 hrs apart. He is writing the code and I'm doing all the testing, pulling the voltages, frequencies and so forth. Mike has bench tested the adapter then when you put it on the bike as with anything issues arise, so it's back to adding a resister or filtering signal and so forth. You know how it goes. I asked for assistance to try and eliminate problems before we ran into them. Everything works great so far except issues with the speedometer. We'' see if this new adapter works,
I know I'm not the only one who's tried this and failed so I don't feel defeated yet lol. I had bought an adapter from Tim Smith (EXTR400), the first adapter was basically for the zx6r, I discovered it didn't have the needed power for the speed sensor and sent it back to Tim where he revamped the adapter and I think with help from local guys they tested a new version of his adapter built for the zx10. He sent me a new adapter ( VERY nice) by the way, but when I put it on the bike, poof, no speedometer, just reads zero and will only show gear one. After testing the speed signal out of the adapter something just isn't working, processor or something but again the speedometer was a no go. Sucks cause his adapter was so adjustable for gears and such. Oh well. Speedohealer is looking nice lol.
Hi Tak82 love that you haven't gave up yet

As for the speedohealer the old Versions 3.0 were only adjustable up to +99% you need at least +769% with -1/+1 gearing and that assumes the Gen 2 and Gen 3 bikes clusters are the same or speed sensor signals.

Now any New Version of the Speedohealer is adjustable from -99% up to +9999%(the late versions 3.0 C8 model which I have for sale right now is the same adjust-ability of the 4.0 models)

Hope that helps,

Bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.

Last edited by bluedevil; 03-13-2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
post #33 of 45 Old 03-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak82 View Post
Hey Boo, yeah we're converting the gps voltages into a signal. The man helping me ( he's doing the code writing) is using a Pro Mini board as the prototype board. He just informed me there may be a problem with the speedometer (interupt) because of not enough room on the pro mini.
Was talking to one of my Engineers today about this project he wants me to bring in a gauge and Micro Controller so we can play as well. At my work most of our Engineers work in C+ language but we have some knowledgeable guys after all our biggest Customer is Cisco and they don't fix their products companies like mine do. (Cisco Products run the Internet) and they love our Company we have many awards for repair service.

The only thing I am disappointed about is member Thundercoupe made it sound like there was a plug and play option to members and didn't want to share details....but like you said OP be careful who you talk down to.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM
mOo
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hi, which board ur using and in which language ur coding? mb i can help a little bit.
post #35 of 45 Old 03-15-2016, 03:49 PM
mOo
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Arduino and c++?

why i cant edit my post?
post #36 of 45 Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOo View Post
Arduino and c++?

why i cant edit my post?
I believe because you are 2 new to the site wait until 30days membership if still can't edit your post let me know....if you want something specific right now let ANY Moderator know including myself.....thanks

bloo

post #37 of 45 Old 03-16-2016, 02:07 PM
mOo
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
its ok, i just wondering why i cant edit because i doesnt want to doublepost
post #38 of 45 Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Found this on Kawiforums I guess Thundercoupe was not the first to make a Gear Indicator work on stock gauge and this is what I was asking for in the first place before he took his ball and went home ... I like this post he *edit* Kawiforum Member learned the ECU what signals to produce or needed to produce the Gear Indicator even though it's not the same as using Gear Switch voltages but the IDEA is the SAME....and what is needed to keep the FI light off.....it's not CAN Bus like today's bikes either.....once you know what is needed then start the programing circuit boards and parts are easy to make and get that's what I did when I made my gear indicator I designed a board and had a manufacturer make it based off my design....Good Stuff ......bloo
Quote:

A while ago there was a big discussion on how to fit a P7 style ZX6 speedo onto an older model bike (typically the 05/06 C1H model).

The main reason for doing this was to have the nice white dial easily readable clocks instead of the quite trick but less clear LCD type.

Well the long and short of it was that you could replace the speedo (indeed the mounting bolts are exactly the same for both models) so long as you made up an adapter (because the speedo used a different connector on the new model). However you had to put up with an annoying flashing warning light caused by no ECU communication to the clocks. The only solution at the time was to tape over the light, but then you wouldn't have the benefit of any real warnings.

At long last I've got around to reverse engineering the communication signal between a P7 ECU and a P7 speedo. The idea is we fit a little micro chip circuit to fool the new speedo and make it all work perfectly on an 05 ZX636. In fact, not only does the warning light behave, but we can also make the gear indicator work properly (ie make a TRE type gadget) too.

I don't expect this to be much use to most folks, but I wanted to put the info into the public domain as its apparently not known. You would need to be an electronics engineer to make use of this stuff.

OK, here we go with part1. The signals:

The speedo ECU comms line has a built in pull-up resistor to 10v so to inject a signal we need an open collector drive.
The comms line is normally HI (9.8v or so)
Data is sent in three packets at 10ms period between the start of each data byte.
The data signal is repeated at a period of 80ms (or roughly 60ms from the end of one packet to the start of the next).
If the data is interrupted, then after a few seconds the speedo will report a FI error and do the flashy red light (LED) thing, so we need to keep the data packets going continuously.
The data starts only when the ignition is turned on.
The three packets of data are all serial 8 bits plus one start bit (lo). The period of each bit is 64us.
(The following data is written as if it were a timing diagram)

1st gear ...10100000001..(10ms)..10000000001..(10ms)..10100 000001..(60ms)..
2nd gear ...10010000001..(10ms)..10000000001..(10ms)..10010 000001..(60ms)..
3rd gear ...10110000001..(10ms)..10000000001..(10ms)..10110 000001..(60ms)..
4th gear ...10001000001..(10ms)..10000000001..(10ms)..10001 000001..(60ms)..
5th gear ...10101000001..(10ms)..10000000001..(10ms)..10101 000001..(60ms)..
6th gear ...10011000001..(10ms)..10000000001..(10ms)..10011 000001..(60ms)..

So for 1st gear, if we monitor the speedo to ECU signal line (on a P7 speedo to P7 ECU of course) then we see the signal go to 0v for 64us then 9.8v for 64us then 0v for 448us then back to 9.8v
There is then a gap of 10ms (less 576us) to the middle packet which is a null frame: 0v for 576us
After another gap of 10ms (less 576us) the first data byte is repeated.
The data line is then inactive (still at 9.8v) for around 60ms until the whole thing is repeated.
(In the data sequence shown, dots represent where the data line is at a steady 9.8v level)

The speedo uses these data packets to continually verify the comms to the ECU, but of course these also represent what gear we are in.
So long as any of these 3 byte data packets are being sent then the FI/red LED will not be activated due to comms fail.
If the bike is in neutral then no gear is shown on the LCD part of the speedo.
If the bike is in gear then the LCD segment shows gear 1-6 depending on what data packets are being sent on the ECU comms line.

We are now in a position to make our own automatic gear indicator using engine RPM and wheel tacho signal. This is done by dividing the engine RPM count by the wheel tacho count. Both these signals already go to the speedo for displaying speed and revs.

OK, so I'll follow this up with a part2: cheap hardware to do all the signal controls.
Finally part3: this will be the software to program into a PIC micro.

Last edited by bluedevil; 03-23-2016 at 10:50 PM.
post #39 of 45 Old 03-23-2016, 10:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
I agree the gen 1 dash sucks. Which is why I'm going to buy (sigh, another) GPX Pro and put that bitch on top of the OEM dash, like I did on my R6. Then I'll just make my own fuggin' dash with the GPX software.
bluedevil likes this.
post #40 of 45 Old 03-24-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey Boo sent you a PM with the timing we're using. I did this before I seen the new post with the quote from Kawi forums and the timing. Is this a post from when EXTRA400 was building the adapters for the ZX6r ? He also built an adapter for the 05 to 08 ZX10r gauge conversion, it didn't work. I have one of his adapters. Well at least the one he sent me doesn't work. The speedometer or gear indicator doesn't function. Other than that it's a nice professional built adapter. Maybe I got a faulty one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in