2Likes
  • 2 Post By michael4012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question Gen 3 08 Clutch squeak when pulled in

My Gen 3 ZX10 has had this issue for the past month where the clutch will squeak and make a whistling noise when its pulled in/ disengaged. It seems to be more prominent when the bike is warmed up, but sometimes it happens when its cool. I havent noticed any difference in the performance of the clutch, no slipping or anything of that nature. I saw another post on here with a guy that had the same issue but it didnt seem like they reached a conclusion. Any idea what could be causing this? Ive heard bearings, to expanding when heated up causing something to rub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
bump
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2018, 01:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

That's one of those things that needs visually inspecting, if you have the skills mate just pop that clutch pack out and have a look. If you havent then your best bet is get someone to do that for you.
SkyDork and JakeRevs10R like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2018, 01:36 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hmmm. Sounds like you need to research this a bit more. Are you sure it's the clutch and not the cam chain? The cam chain rattle is near the clutch and may sound like it's from there as a squeak.

But the first thing to check is what micheal4012 said above. Pull the clutch over off and look everything over with that. The bearing pull in there and the clutch basket itself may be worn or contacting something inside that is causing the noise.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Hmmm. Sounds like you need to research this a bit more. Are you sure it's the clutch and not the cam chain? The cam chain rattle is near the clutch and may sound like it's from there as a squeak.

But the first thing to check is what micheal4012 said above. Pull the clutch over off and look everything over with that. The bearing pull in there and the clutch basket itself may be worn or contacting something inside that is causing the noise.
Yeah positive its the clutch, it only does it when 1. Its warmed up and 2. I pull the clutch lever in. I just recently had the valves done and the cam chain tension looked at. I guess im going to pull the clutch cover off, my question is will i need to replace the gasket if i pop the clutch cover off? Or can i reuse the one thats there. Im guessing the drive side of the clutch is rubbing because it is in sync with my speed when i pull the clutch in, and not in sync with the speed of the motor.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2018, 03:34 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRevs10R View Post
Yeah positive its the clutch, it only does it when 1. Its warmed up and 2. I pull the clutch lever in. I just recently had the valves done and the cam chain tension looked at. I guess im going to pull the clutch cover off, my question is will i need to replace the gasket if i pop the clutch cover off? Or can i reuse the one thats there. Im guessing the drive side of the clutch is rubbing because it is in sync with my speed when i pull the clutch in, and not in sync with the speed of the motor.
You should replace the gasket with a new one after the cover has been removed. If you're careful and the gasket doesn't rip, bend, or tear when you remove the cover, you can likely reuse it one time like that.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
You should replace the gasket with a new one after the cover has been removed. If you're careful and the gasket doesn't rip, bend, or tear when you remove the cover, you can likely reuse it one time like that.
Thats what i figured, Thanks for the response, just got home from a ride so im gonna let it cool down and then im gonna crack her open. Ill post back with the results.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Did you find a solution ? It seems that I have this same problem with squeak.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

3rd gen zx10r are notorious for breaking rivets in the basket, lots of info could be found by using google, the best thing to do is take it apart or pay someone to take it apart and look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clutch, squeak, whistle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in