Gen 1: 2004-2005 Gen 1 ZX10R Neutral light not working on dash - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thundercoupe9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 1 ZX10R Neutral light not working on dash

Hi guys, just joined and said hello in the new member section.
I have two issues with the bike -

1)Neutral light not showing on dash- It doesn't light up at all but it does slot into neutral and the clutch engages. But it won't start in neutral unless I pull the clutch lever in which tells me the ecu thinks it's still in a gear.
I did some minor researching and the gear position sensor could be a problem? Or could it be something else.

2)Side stand switch I think has been bypassed as the ignition doesn't cut off when in gear with the stand down. Is it a simple job of getting a new switch? Could it be related to 1) above somehow?

3)I see a bit of wiring mess under the rear seat/cowl and don't really understand what it could be and why as all lights etc work fine-I'd post some pics soon. #

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

For #1 - neutral light: Check your service manual for instructions on how to trouble-shoot and test the gear position switch. For example from the GEN4 manual below. For #2 sidestand switch: You really want to get this fixed or very bad things can happen very easily. If the bike was ever tracked and the sidestand removed they may have jumpered the wires. Follow the wires from the sidesand switch to the connector and see if it was jumpered there. Otherwise it could be a bad switch. That's easy to test with a multimeter as well at the connector.

Last edited by tdh; 01-15-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2019, 03:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys for the replies. I have now ordered a side stand switch off ebay. Going to get myself a haynes for the zx.
The videos are very helpful @thunder, but wouldn't a bad gear position indicator result in an FI code? Think I read somewhere here that it throws an FI code for a bad gear position sensor?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2019, 12:56 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedexaarguy View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I have now ordered a side stand switch off ebay. Going to get myself a haynes for the zx.
The videos are very helpful @thunder, but wouldn't a bad gear position indicator result in an FI code? Think I read somewhere here that it throws an FI code for a bad gear position sensor?
My multimeter told me otherwise, i take its readings over what's maybe written somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in