Gear indicator malfunction - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-14-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Question Gear indicator malfunction

Hi!

I have an aftermarket gear indicator on my gen1, and it stopped working after a track day. When I say stopped working, I mean it is constantly showing 6. There are a lot of threads on the internet about the gear position sensor failure because of its wear, so I pulled mine as well to check it. Not to mention, pulling it was a real PITA, because the two philips bolts had thread locker on them from the factory...

Once I was able to pull the sensor, I checked its resistances based on the manual and it was fine. After some thinking I put the multimeter to the continuity testing position and wanted to check whether the tiny little pin within the shift drum and the negative part of the battery is the same or not. I was surprised when I noticed that the pin does not have a valid ground, while it should have - I think. Pushing the shift pedal to one of the directions made the multimeter to beep sometimes.

Is it normal? I thought that the pin inside the shift drum should be a negative point all the time, no matter what I do with the shifter. Did anyone have the same or a similar issue with the gear position sensor? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
giszo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Sorry but need more Information like what kind of aftermarket unit you have some work in different ways tach and RPM and for all I know you ended up with one I built in the past and sold based Solely off the Gear Position Sensor Voltage.....I suspect you don't have one of my units though not likely to display 6th gear only but there are many homemade versions out there some of the Popular ones are GiPro and Acumen for the Gen 1.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by giszo View Post
Hi!

I have an aftermarket gear indicator on my gen1, and it stopped working after a track day. When I say stopped working, I mean it is constantly showing 6. There are a lot of threads on the internet about the gear position sensor failure because of its wear, so I pulled mine as well to check it. Not to mention, pulling it was a real PITA, because the two philips bolts had thread locker on them from the factory...

Once I was able to pull the sensor, I checked its resistances based on the manual and it was fine. After some thinking I put the multimeter to the continuity testing position and wanted to check whether the tiny little pin within the shift drum and the negative part of the battery is the same or not. I was surprised when I noticed that the pin does not have a valid ground, while it should have - I think. Pushing the shift pedal to one of the directions made the multimeter to beep sometimes.

Is it normal? I thought that the pin inside the shift drum should be a negative point all the time, no matter what I do with the shifter. Did anyone have the same or a similar issue with the gear position sensor? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
giszo

It is not normal, it's a design problem. It doesn't have a ground pin at all.

https://youtu.be/izqKgbeHE7k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
Sorry but need more Information like what kind of aftermarket unit you have some work in different ways tach and RPM and for all I know you ended up with one I built in the past and sold based Solely off the Gear Position Sensor Voltage.....I suspect you don't have one of my units though not likely to display 6th gear only but there are many homemade versions out there some of the Popular ones are GiPro and Acumen for the Gen 1.
I'm running a Prop-Tech unit. It is a local company here at Hungary making these gear indicators. The actual unit is sensing the gear position sensor, it is plugged into the 4 pin connector located around the left side of the fuel rail.

Knowing how the unit gets its input, I tried to check the sensor's resistance in each gear, but I was unable to get a valid reading. That is the reason why I pulled the sensor itself and noticed that the pin inside the shift drum is not giving a proper ground signal.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-15-2016, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
It is not normal, it's a design problem. It doesn't have a ground pin at all.

https://youtu.be/izqKgbeHE7k
Holy shit! I really don't want to pull the whole engine, and drop the tranny because those guys at Japan were unable to make something that lasts ...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-15-2016, 01:55 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Holy shit! I really don't want to pull the whole engine, and drop the tranny because those guys at Japan were unable to make something that lasts ...
I am working on fixing the problem by putting a later model gps in it with some mods.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-15-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I am working on fixing the problem by putting a later model gps in it with some mods.
Is it you on the YouTube video that you referenced?

I saw you are trying to use a later unit that has a ground source at the middle of the sensor. Of course that requires an additional pin at the shift drum side as well, and I am wondering if the pin can be installed on a gen1 shift drum, or not.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2016, 02:32 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:

I saw you are trying to use a later unit that has a ground source at the middle of the sensor. Of course that requires an additional pin at the shift drum side as well, and I am wondering if the pin can be installed on a gen1 shift drum, or not.
I will post updated video hopefully in the next few days if my way works. Center pin can be installed......................but it would require drilling the drum, but you can't drill it as deep, the didn't put extra metal on that part of a drum...........gen1 engineering . If my way doesn't work I will drill the drum, and shorten the center pin and see if that works.........but that will be my last route. I thought of 3 ways of fixing it, will start with easier/cheaper route first.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:

possible solution to your problem. https://youtu.be/w2AAqM9N3tA
post #10 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
possible solution to your problem. https://youtu.be/w2AAqM9N3tA
Good Stuff but might want to be a little clearer on what shift Drum used and Factory Button comes from meaning what year bikes or is that still the stock unit from a ZX10R Gen 1 and you only need to remove stock shift drum(maybe mentioned what is involved there ) a Gen 1 bike install a ball bearing and spring, and of couse a Gen 2 Gear position sensor....sorry being devils advocate here because I know our members they will be asking the same questions.

With that said I agree the Ground problems looked to be fixed I seen NO fluctuations when you messed with the shift lever and that IS THE MAIN PROBLEM WHEN USING AFTERMARKET GEAR INDICATORS NO TRUE STABLE GROUND.

Bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in