Gen 3: 2008-2010 Gear indicator - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gear indicator

I know it's an old topic and I have read many posts about it, but I couldn't find a solution.

I just bought 2009 zx10r, and it seems to lack the gear indicator totally. Even though all the video's I checked earlier has one beside the speed. Is it on some versions ? Or something to activate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 09:35 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the party!

The Gen 3 has a gear indicator. It says "GEAR" to the right of the speed. It shows nothing in neutral. So either the cluster is bad, the gear sensor is bad, or you're trying to look at it in neutral.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The left hand side of the cluster has a green (n) light which should be on when in neutral as sky said if it's in gear then it would display what gear your in, if it's not indicating a gear number when it is in gear and there is no F1 code it could be that you have Gen1 clocks on it courtesy of the previous owner. It's unlikely but possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
The left hand side of the cluster has a green (n) light which should be on when in neutral as sky said if it's in gear then it would display what gear your in, if it's not indicating a gear number when it is in gear and there is no F1 code it could be that you have Gen1 clocks on it courtesy of the previous owner. It's unlikely but possible.

All true! Except that the neutral switch to activate the green light is a separate input to the cluster. The input comes into the cluster differently than the gear selection. So just because one works and the other doesn't is not a direct indication. The FI code sort of is the same thing. If the switch hasn't failed, no FI code is generated, but that doesn't mean the switch is working. The FI code mean the switch has failed completely, not that is may or may not be indicating correctly. If the switch is powered on and not sensing what gear is selected, no FI light and no gear indication. Just gotta troubleshoot some more to figure out what the real issue is.

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I get your thinking Skydork, as ever your methodical and express excellent English 😁 I'm thinking that if the gear switch - indicator is broken on the drum itself or in between that and ecu the bike will be running like shit, as the ecu doesn't know what gear it's in, 2000iri hasn't said what it runs like admittedly.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
I'm thinking that if the gear switch - indicator is broken on the drum itself or in between that and ecu the bike will be running like shit, as the ecu doesn't know what gear it's in, 2000iri hasn't said what it runs like admittedly.

Would the bike be running poorly in that case? Wouldn't it just be running like it was in neutral all the time? Would that make it run bad, or just different than it should? I remember back when that model came out, the plug-in TRE modules were all the rage. The thought on those was if you kept the ECU thinking it was in one gear all the time, then it would bypass restrictions and make it faster. Or so the story goes.

Yeah, we'll wait to see if the OP responds and we'll diagnose it from that point based on more information.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Would the bike be running poorly in that case? Wouldn't it just be running like it was in neutral all the time? Would that make it run bad, or just different than it should? I remember back when that model came out, the plug-in TRE modules were all the rage. The thought on those was if you kept the ECU thinking it was in one gear all the time, then it would bypass restrictions and make it faster. Or so the story goes.

Yeah, we'll wait to see if the OP responds and we'll diagnose it from that point based on more information.
If the gps signal fails, the ecu sets it to 6th gear. The bike will still run fine.

I`m just in for the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in