Gen 3: 2008-2010 Gear indicator - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Posting Frequency
 
Gear indicator

I know it's an old topic and I have read many posts about it, but I couldn't find a solution.

I just bought 2009 zx10r, and it seems to lack the gear indicator totally. Even though all the video's I checked earlier has one beside the speed. Is it on some versions ? Or something to activate
2000irl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 09:35 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Welcome to the party!

The Gen 3 has a gear indicator. It says "GEAR" to the right of the speed. It shows nothing in neutral. So either the cluster is bad, the gear sensor is bad, or you're trying to look at it in neutral.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 AM
GP Rider
 
michael4012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 1,143
Posting Frequency
 
The left hand side of the cluster has a green (n) light which should be on when in neutral as sky said if it's in gear then it would display what gear your in, if it's not indicating a gear number when it is in gear and there is no F1 code it could be that you have Gen1 clocks on it courtesy of the previous owner. It's unlikely but possible.
michael4012 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
The left hand side of the cluster has a green (n) light which should be on when in neutral as sky said if it's in gear then it would display what gear your in, if it's not indicating a gear number when it is in gear and there is no F1 code it could be that you have Gen1 clocks on it courtesy of the previous owner. It's unlikely but possible.

All true! Except that the neutral switch to activate the green light is a separate input to the cluster. The input comes into the cluster differently than the gear selection. So just because one works and the other doesn't is not a direct indication. The FI code sort of is the same thing. If the switch hasn't failed, no FI code is generated, but that doesn't mean the switch is working. The FI code mean the switch has failed completely, not that is may or may not be indicating correctly. If the switch is powered on and not sensing what gear is selected, no FI light and no gear indication. Just gotta troubleshoot some more to figure out what the real issue is.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM
GP Rider
 
michael4012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 1,143
Posting Frequency
 
I get your thinking Skydork, as ever your methodical and express excellent English 😁 I'm thinking that if the gear switch - indicator is broken on the drum itself or in between that and ecu the bike will be running like shit, as the ecu doesn't know what gear it's in, 2000iri hasn't said what it runs like admittedly.
michael4012 is online now  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
I'm thinking that if the gear switch - indicator is broken on the drum itself or in between that and ecu the bike will be running like shit, as the ecu doesn't know what gear it's in, 2000iri hasn't said what it runs like admittedly.

Would the bike be running poorly in that case? Wouldn't it just be running like it was in neutral all the time? Would that make it run bad, or just different than it should? I remember back when that model came out, the plug-in TRE modules were all the rage. The thought on those was if you kept the ECU thinking it was in one gear all the time, then it would bypass restrictions and make it faster. Or so the story goes.


Yeah, we'll wait to see if the OP responds and we'll diagnose it from that point based on more information.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Track Day Rider
 
GreenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 183
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Would the bike be running poorly in that case? Wouldn't it just be running like it was in neutral all the time? Would that make it run bad, or just different than it should? I remember back when that model came out, the plug-in TRE modules were all the rage. The thought on those was if you kept the ECU thinking it was in one gear all the time, then it would bypass restrictions and make it faster. Or so the story goes.


Yeah, we'll wait to see if the OP responds and we'll diagnose it from that point based on more information.
If the gps signal fails, the ecu sets it to 6th gear. The bike will still run fine.

I`m just in for the ride
GreenOne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear indicator or at least 6th gear indicator? RememberTheMallamo The ZX-10R 21 06-16-2012 08:49 PM
Gear shift indicator cashes41 The ZX-10R 12 07-12-2005 07:48 PM
Blue DG8 Digital Gear Indicator BIGRED12R Parts, Gear and Accessories 7 07-15-2004 06:54 PM
Gear indicator miykl The ZX-10R 15 05-28-2004 08:34 PM
Gear Indicator? JLove The ZX-10R 7 04-27-2004 12:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome