Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Gauge interchangeable?

Gen 4: 2011-15 
718 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  SkyDork 
#1 ·
Has anyone put a 2013+ gauge cluster on a 2011 or 2012 or vice versa?

The 13+ has the ESD light for the damper but I'm wondering if the plug will still fit and function minus the ESD light

#2 ·
The plug pinout is the same between the two. The ESD data is transmitted over the CANbus data line. In theory, it should work fine if the meter essentially skips over the ESD data since it's missing from the serial stream. But unless someone has actually tried it, I'm not sure how it will display the light. I would expect since the data stream is missing, the ESD light would be on all the time. :dontknow:

#7 ·
Yes, the ECU should be calculating the error conditions and such to activate the light. But since the data is sent over the serial data line, the gauge has enough smarts in it to decode and read the data. If the data is completely missing, it's a question of what happens with the light if there is no "on or off" command it can decode. In most cases, the light is fail safed on to indicate an issue even if it's just the missing data. I'm just not sure what will specifically happen in this case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.