Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Which exhaust

Gen 5: 2016-20 
10K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  Bloose 
#1 ·
I have a 17 snowflake edition and been looking at the M4 gp slip on exhaust. I like how it looks just wondering how it sounds and if i should go with it . Any thoughts? Also thinking of getting a new air filter and then a woolich flash. Am i going the right route?

#2 ·
I have the m4 gp on my track bike. Forewarning the thing is extremely loud and does give it more of a high pitch sound higher up in the rpm's. I have had multiple people mistake it for a 600 from a distance. But with that being said I like it and doesn't brake the bank.

#4 ·
Sorry didn't answer the second part of the question. Any slip on relatively is going to give you the same performance with a flash. I would recommend you send out your ecu while you are waiting for the exhaust to come in so that you can do it all at once (the right way). You wont notice any gains from an aftermarket air filter on a generic flash, stock bike but since you're gonna be in there pulling the ecu its good maintenance to replace it.

#7 ·
I'm a big fan of two bros exhaust. I love the more throaty sou d and the shorty low mount race exhaust comes with the cat delete mid pipe. Also, not sure why anyone would opt to send thier ECU out and pay almost as much as a full woolich with wideband and log box costs since the flash is generic and can't be changed without sending the damn thing back again, plus the wait time etc. I like to ride whenever I want and so sending the ECU out is a non started for me. drop the extra couple hundred and get the woolich setup, no need for race tools just standard racing tuned and if you don't get the log box and zetronics wide band it will be a couple hundred cheaper. ,if you want to get the most out of your bike without actually splitting the case or otherwise doing internal mods, the wideband and logbox will allow you to dial it in and will also allow you to do stuff like enable autoblip for clutch less down shifting. disable all Fi codes and pretty much anything you could want. wish I would have jumped on the bandwagon earlier instead of trying to save money and having someone else flash my ECU the first 2 gen 5's I owned. My third one I just went for it and will never look back. And you most definitely will notice a difference if you change filter and drop the cat and exhaust servo, remove ram air flap, ditch the emmision crap and dial in the tune with the wideband. it's night and day, maybe not a ton more power but way way more ridable and responsive in my opinion

Attachments

#11 ·
sweet bike man!! And thanks for that info real detailed. Definitely going to be looking into all that and will post pics when finished. Definitely trying to improve the response on it especially on low rpms. Kinda want it to respond as it does at 6 7k rpms you know

#8 ·
I have a Graves low mount and link pipe. I think for more mid-range and throttle response i will be switching to the Graves Works full system next season.

I love the Graves, not too loud, looks all business and performs well enough for most.

#12 ·
yeah, the zx10 will never be a crazy power producer down low like it is up high short of going all out and having the crank knife edged and balanced, changing the cams and dropping 1 in front while going up 2 in the rear. maybe the 1/5 mod as well as the standard intake and exhaust and flash stuff. block offs and yeah, she wakes up well enough once you get over 3k so it's not that big a deal. best luck with whatever direction you decide, it's your bike so only you need to be happy with how it turns out. And thanks, I love my bike and always appreciate it when others like how I set her up..

#13 ·
Well, since you're soliciting opinions, I'll post mine for you. ?

As an M4 owner myself, I'd say the GP version is the worst one they make. Not only is that think ear-splitting loud, the flat painted megaphone style does nothing for the lines on the bike. They make nice exhausts, but the GP is at the bottom of the list list. I have the Street Slayer and the sound is very, VERY close to the Graves slip-on. It's loud, but has a deep tone to it and sounds much better than any GP I've heard. Like LDH, I'm a bit old-school and the standard mount Tech 1 from M4 would be comparable. As they go, I'd say Street Slayer, then Tech 1, and then any other exhaust than the GP. ?

As for power, you're not going to gain anything down low with any slip-on. The motor is peaky and you've got to slip it up to get any power out of it. The slip-ons are about weight reduction, sound, and looks. Minimal power gains can be made with them if properly tuned, but what you're looking for won't happen with with that either.

#24 ·
It's been said before but I'll put in my 2 cents. Having both ridden with and ridden alongside an M4 GP, I can't say this enough...it's too loud. The baffle is really restrictive and kills power so that's not an option either.

Reactions: Southwest_Ninja
#28 ·
Twobros, M4, low mounts, shorter systems don't make consistent power gains. They look ricey, too.

Arata, Akra, Arrow are all great. I have a Spark.
It's a proven fact that slipons in general don't make shit for gains, it's for looks and sound so is much more of a personal preference thing vs anything else. Twobros actually does put thier pipes to test furring development on a Dyno, have you ever been to thier shop and watched them while they are making a new pipe or system? I have, the couple hp they manage to squeeze out is real all be it only a couple. Like I said and like is proven. Shorter pipes make more power at higher rpm and longer pipes help at lower rpm. Since zx10rs don't have much in way of power down low, using a longer pipe isn't going to improve much since it is a % gain type of deal anyway. In the end, unless you complement the pipe with cat delete, intake setup like velocity stacks, air filter, etv opening maps and fueling and timing maps no can is going to do shit past make more noise with a different tone. Of the 3 you mention as being great, akra is the only one I will agree with and only in certain situations. Sounds like you are parroting something you heard somewhere else as fact but have zero proof to back it

#31 ·
Ducati is notoriously a torque monster. They are lower reving and higher torque bikes in general. The v4 revs through the roof but that isn't the characteristics of Ducati up until this point. Also, note that the examples used are MotoGP bikes, those are multi-million dollar a piece bikes, every single part built by hand, the one thing they don't care about is sound beyond harmonics. They want torque when the bike is notoriously low on it so yes they will go with a longer pipe. If they didn't need to use a can they wouldn't. Drag racers are a great example of that. When max power matters vs tuning a 300 hp 3 million dollar bike to get more where it has less or to accent it where it already shines in the case of Ducati and the short gear ratios. Have you looked into more than just pictures? Ie, rules meant to restrict or regulate? To control noise or to balance the playing field? There are so many factors that go into those bikes and why they use what they use and how amazing far and away different they are from the bikes you and I ride is retarded. They are not even close past looks of the same machines

#32 ·
That Graves exhaust on the Superstock 1000 machine pictured above is a beauty!

Reactions: Twistedsocal13
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.