Gen 4: 2011-2015 ESD light when head/tail lights are removed - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-01-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ESD light when head/tail lights are removed

Hi all, just took my 2014 Gen4 to the track for the first time, second owner. I took it for a ride the first time at the track with no head/tail lights and after moving up to about 10-15 mph (sometimes earlier, sometimes later) the yellow FI light would come on, and the ESD light on the dash would come up. Sometimes I would notice, it would sound like the servo was spazzing out in the damper when I got done with my session.

When I got home, I reconnected the lights, rode around, no problems. When I again removed the headlight fuse, and disconnected the tail light, the light would cut on again after a little bit of riding. Has anyone else experienced these issues? I've done some searching and haven't seen anything about this specific issue. My battery voltage is good, and doesn't really change much with or without the headlights on ( reads about 14.5-14.6 when the bike is running at idle while cold).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-02-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Bump :(.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-03-2018, 06:24 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen4 ESD gets power from headlight therefore if you unplug it there no power to the ESD. Gen5 was changed and works if headlights are unplugged or fuses removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Sneekey10R Send a message via MSN to Sneekey10R Send a message via Yahoo to Sneekey10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwrzx View Post
Gen4 ESD gets power from headlight therefore if you unplug it there no power to the ESD. Gen5 was changed and works if headlights are unplugged or fuses removed.
Whaaa? Is this true? If so then the damper is totally worthless on the track. To the OP Same thing happened to me few weeks ago at the track and just ignored it. It would come on every now and again before that though. I've read replacing the rectifier to a Gen 5 one solves the issue for some.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwrzx View Post
Yeah looking at the wiring diagram I don't think that's the case. I don't remember exactly but the ESD fuse may not even share the positive wire that goes to the IG/Headlight/Signal fuses.The servo still does the little self check. I hear either the rectifier buzzing/clicking, or maybe the relay box. I'm going to try to remove the headlight relay plug whenever I fix my bike from my little trailer mishap, and if that doesn't work.

I'm getting the e3b code, which is a communication error with the ESD and ECU. It would make sense that an unstable voltage caused by a relay clicking on and off, or a faulty rectifier would cause the issue. If it's not the relay box, I may just take it to a dealer and see if they can put a new rectifier or something in to see.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-05-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekey10R View Post
Whaaa? Is this true? If so then the damper is totally worthless on the track. To the OP Same thing happened to me few weeks ago at the track and just ignored it. It would come on every now and again before that though. I've read replacing the rectifier to a Gen 5 one solves the issue for some.
Yeah I'm going to try unplugging the headlight relay, because I'm not exactly certain that it is the rectifier, but it is coming from the left. Maybe, for some reason, the relay is turning on and off. My only reasoning behind the rectifier/reg being OK is that the voltage doesn't go higher or lower with the headlights off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in