Eradicating gremlins… need help - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2019, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Eradicating gremlins… need help

Hi everyone,

I'm having some gremlin issues.

I hosed down and washed my bike (gen 2) 3 weeks ago immediately after which F1 light came on with a C11 code (main throttle body sensor).

I replace the throttle bodies last year so I am familiar with how a working set should operate both when initially powered on and with the engine running.

After inspection and testing I could find no reason for throwing a code…

2 or 3 days later started the machine F1 code had disappeared, but poor running condition persisted… F1 code appeared and again disappeared a few times since then

Poor running conditions outlined

1. Easy to start and run at idle

2. Any blip of the throttle in neutral will reveal a immediate dead spot in throttle response then instantaneously will rev up as if there is no problem.

3. When you ride the bike Idling in gear. No problem. However, when
accelerating bike cuts on and off. From very smooth normal operation to completely dead… like there's a monkey playing with a light switch.

I have the service manual and I have followed and investigated all tests and procedures but have not been able to come up with the remedy. Thus the need for my next statements.

Grasping at straws, fuzzy logic to follow:

4. Having issues with the electric starter circuit… I believe it is the starter relay clicking but not engaging the starter.

Here comes the fuzzy logic part… When the bike is in normal running mode no F1 light flashing or codes displayed. If I go to start the machine and the starter doesn't engage after I have depress the starter button a few times the F1 light will again appear with code C11.

After which, when the machine starts and I idle around the block F1 light will turn off.

I'm beginning to wonder if the suspected bad starter relay can cause a error code to appear? Bad ignition key switch?

I'm really grasping at straws and could use a little advice from some of you who may have experience with the same or similar problems which I have described

Please feel free to chime in.

Things I've checked and determined to be in good working condition:

Battery:
Throttle bodies with multimeter
ECU
Fuel pump, fuel pump relay and fuel hose for kinks
Tip over switch.
Kickstand switch
Ground wires to frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Could be an intermittent/semi corroded connection to the TPS. Maybe unplug them, blow them out, add some dielectric grease and try again?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-24-2019, 07:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

might as well check starter relay too. mine had rust on it and it caused my bike to have some strange starting issues too.

Probably would check spark plugs too if they haven't been checked recently. Be sure to let us know if you solve the problem or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi everyone… Only have time for quick note…

Thank you very much for the response from both Kawasaki Brad and Ninjalife

I'm on a business trip for the next 3 weeks. I will get right on it with the suggestions about the TPS… and the relay upon my return home

After which I will keep everybody advised as to my progress and hopefully a resolution to my gremlin situation

Thank you again for your time and consideration

Yours truly,

F-18 driver
post #5 of 6 Old 10-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Have you checked your coils. I had a similar issue awhile back, and it turned out that I had a coil that was broken and hanging on by a thread. Relpaced it, and no issues since.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
you know the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was why would you hose your bike off. Unplug each connection one at a time, use electronic parts cleaner in both make and female plugs, blow out with air from a can or an air compressor using an in line dryer that you can get from home Depot. the ones that have beads that change. color when they are damp and then apply dielectric grease and plug back in. Chances are that water got into a connection due to degraded plastic or wire sheathing. cracked rubber seals etc. this should fix your issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in