Dropping Revs - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Dropping Revs

Guys, a quick question.
The idles normally around 1200-1400, but a month ago, I noticed that it progressively dropped, and eventually fell down to 800. So, went and adjusted the screw back up to the normal levels, but again this week they have began to drop, now down to 1000.

So, I figure there is an issue, and I will take it to the garage to look at. But I am more curious, before I send it, as to what the cause could be. Something simple like a spark plug, or something more "serious"?????

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-23-2009, 01:53 PM
T Double D

Posting Frequency

i have not experienced that with 7k miles on the bike but always good to change plugs anyway

2005 ZX10r
2009 Monster ZX14 brocked out
2009 SuperStreetBike Magazine Top Speed Challenge Winner ( on a zx10! )
post #3 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks, I checked out the spark plugs, and they are in very good shape actually - so took it to the dealer as a friend (mechanic) commented it could be the injection system.
Got annoyed at the dealer, as he refused to look at it, as I have an HP Corsa slip on fitted. He claims that the slip-on would have altered the mapping of the bike, which will be causing the problem. Now, I do not pretend to know too much about all this - but I understood that a slip-on does not alter the mapping at all (this is mainly down to full systems). Is my thought line correct?
If so, then I need to look at finding a different dealership to take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Dont mess wit White Ninja

Posting Frequency

Thats BS big times, I work at a dealership, what they are worried about is the warranty or if you dont have one they dont want to be reasonable for your bike. Truthfully dont waste your time going there again. Find a different dealership or shop and have them take a look, sounds to me like you just need to hit up a dyno and get it tuned. If you have a slip-on, on there it shouldn't mess with the stock ecu and map to bad, thats all you have on there right, a slip on? But just go have someone take a look or get it tuned and shouldnt be a problem after that.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Funny that you started this thread. I have an Akro slip-on and my idle has dropped twice. I readjusted it and it seems to run fine after. A friend who works on bikes checked it out and can find no reason for this to happen. At first I was a little concerned, but since it seemed to run normal after, I just put it out of my mind and rode on.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination"
Oscar Wilde
post #6 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Cheers for the confirmation, I am going to seek out a new dealership.......
post #7 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

bike year mileage?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2008 ZX10R 5000km
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2009, 12:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

a good startin point would be to mark the line and knob just to make sure that it isnt getting tuned inadvertantly. cuz i know on my 05 it is in a position where my leg can possibly make contact with the knob, though i have never noticed this problem but have adjusted my knob on occasion. nothin to make me worried though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in