3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-04-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Doubts about catalyst removal and remapping

Hi all,

First of all, I want to apologize*for my bad english.*
I'm looking into a shorty slip-on for my ZX10R 2018 SE, really like the two bros one, here's a link:*https://www.twobros.com/products/kaw...05-4290407-s1b

As you can see, It'd remove the catalyst, so as far as I know this would require to remap fuel injection. Is this true?*

In case a remap is needed:
  • How far is this needed? In case remap it's not done, there would be performance loss regarding OEM exhaust + catalyst?
  • How is it done in this bike? I need a Power Commander kind of tool? OEM ECU can not be remapped?
  • Will I lose some bike features? (i.e Power mode option)

Note: I'm not into hp gain. I only want to change slip-on for sound and esthetic.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

can add 3/4 exhaust (header back, no catalyst) without ECU remap or power commander... bike will backfire more (sounds awesome to me, but some people dont like it) and some low/off throttle response becomes a little jerky / touchy, but otherwise its totally fine.
Guarf likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a danmoto catdelete and an akrapovic slipon installed. The result is quite back fire when decelerating (if you are driving fast and at high rpm, if you are driving normal in the city you rarely hear anything).
Ecu flashed with Woolich to remove the restrictions of ETV maps and the result is excellent. You do not lose any functionality of the bike, but you have the possibility to modify any configuration.

What is your native language?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guarf View Post
I have a danmoto catdelete and an akrapovic slipon installed. The result is quite back fire when decelerating (if you are driving fast and at high rpm, if you are driving normal in the city you rarely hear anything).
Ecu flashed with Woolich to remove the restrictions of ETV maps and the result is excellent. You do not lose any functionality of the bike, but you have the possibility to modify any configuration.

What is your native language?
I'm from Barcelona, so spanish and catalan.

I love back fire noises, that's not a problem.

My concerns are about a performance downgrade. I remember back in 2011, when I purchased a 2bros full line to my Ninja 250R, I didn't install a power commander in a first instance. Bike had real troubles to pass 9-10K rev range on high gears and that kind of problems are what I'm trying to avoid right now.

Time to stretch bike performance will come when I feel I could go faster. Right now I'm not using even a 75% of this beast.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 11:11 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Be careful, if you remove the cat, make sure the link pipe has a bung to allow for the o2 sensors. Remap allows for removal of the o2 sensors.
If you dont remap, I highly suggest an Autotune unit.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by age000 View Post
My concerns are about a performance downgrade. I remember back in 2011, when I purchased a 2bros full line to my Ninja 250R, I didn't install a power commander in a first instance. Bike had real troubles to pass 9-10K rev range on high gears and that kind of problems are what I'm trying to avoid right now.

ive been riding with 3/4 system and no remap for a year now... as i mentioned, there is some surging and choppy throttle at very low RPM (like cruising through a parking lot barely above idle) but once the revs start climbing there has been no issues at all.

of course you will get the best performance from a proper dyno tune, or at worst a power commander type unit with autotune.... but no concern about losing noticeable performance without the remap, if it loses anything at all, its probably just 2-3hp which you wont notice, its not like a 250 where 2-3hp would be a big difference.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWeenie View Post
Be careful, if you remove the cat, make sure the link pipe has a bung to allow for the o2 sensors. Remap allows for removal of the o2 sensors.
There isn't something like a sensor eliminator kind of thing? The one that used to be inside Power Commander boxes.

I've also read something about a "servo" but I don't know what it means. There is something more I should care besides O2 sensor?
post #8 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWeenie View Post
It is not a concern on this motorcycle, since the o2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold, so the OEM sensor stays in place.

Quote:
I'm from Barcelona, so spanish and catalan.
Yo soy de Uruguay y tengo la misma moto, cualquier cosa que te pueda ayudar, me escribes

Quote:

Time to stretch bike performance will come when I feel I could go faster. Right now I'm not using even a 75% of this beast.
Surely you have a power gain of a few hp, luckily your bike is unrestricted, mine came from the United States and was restricted on ETV map… I had to flash my ecu with Woolich.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
It is not a concern on this motorcycle, since the o2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold, so the OEM sensor stays in place.
You are totally right, I've just checked it right now. One more thing to not worry about

I've purchased a servo buddy for avoiding FI red light.

Quote:
Yo soy de Uruguay y tengo la misma moto, cualquier cosa que te pueda ayudar, me escribes
Que bueno!! Si necesito ayuda con un futuro flash de la ECU ya se a quien preguntar

Quote:
Surely you have a power gain of a few hp, luckily your bike is unrestricted, mine came from the United States and was restricted on ETV map… I had to flash my ecu with Woolich.
I don't know if it's restricted on ETV map, something I could do to check it?

Thank you for your help guys! I really appreciate it
post #10 of 19 Old 11-05-2019, 03:41 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

But the o2 sensor is not in the catalyst, in the 2016-x is in the mainfold, isn't it? (sorry I don't know how to say it in english the pipes between the catalyst and the cilinders).

The servo is the wire that goes from under your seat to the catalyst, you won't have problems if you free the wire in both ends, I have it in this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in