• 1 Post By Guarf
  • 1 Post By SkyDork
  • 1 Post By SkyDork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Exclamation Clutch issues/won't start.

ill start by saying I change my chain and sprocket -1 front stock rear and 520, went for a long ride a few months back and I noticed my bike slipping when at full throttle.
I adjusted me my clutch from the cable screw and it went away. Went to track yesterday and added 2 gallons of 100 gasoline lol and the mixed it with 93. only reason I'm mentions the gas is bc my friend said it would affect my engine and my have to do with my bike started slipping on 3rd gear when full throttle. I finished a session, when I came in I could smell the burn of the clutch. i decide to go for one last session turned my bike on tried to pull of from the garage and my bike turned off and the didn't want to start it sounds like when the battery is dead lol.

My question is would gas effect the clutch since the engine burning that fuel or the clutch was gonna go anyway.

I have about 15k miles on it. This happened yesterday I have not check the battery or fuses for the starting problem im more concern with my clutch lol and I have not opened my clutch either to see how bad it is lol.

Sorry for the long post. I know a few things about bike but not much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 01:42 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sounds like you have separate issues going on.

The starting issue is one thing and then the clutch slipping is another. The gas is unrelated to the clutch unless you're mixing it with the oil. That's pretty catastrophic.

The cable slack adjustment is more than likely the problem there. Or it's time for a new clutch. You weren't smelling the clutch burning, because it's a wet clutch spinning in oil inside a sealed engine. You were smelling something and thought it was the clutch.

Yes, running 100 octane gas will affect the engine. It shouldn't cause the clutch to slip since it is taking power away from the motor by doing that. With lower power from the 100 octane and still slipping the clutch, you've got clutch problems.

Troubleshoot the starting issue first. Then troubleshoot the clutch slipping. Then stop running that 100oct crap.
danielondono likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 02:58 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

If the clutch has slipped at full throttle, it is very likely that it has already been ruined ... it is enough to abuse 1 time to stop working properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Then stop running that 100oct crap.
Higher octane only generates more power when the engine is modified and needs greater resistance to detonation, doesn't it?
danielondono likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 03:11 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guarf View Post
Higher octane only generates more power when the engine is modified and needs greater resistance to detonation, doesn't it?

Nope, and that's the myth. Higher octane doesn't generate any more power by itself. It is used in highly modified engines that are more prone to pre-ignition and detonation because of the modifications, like you said. But that is because the higher octane burns slower and produces less power by itself. It is the engine mods that make the power and need the higher octane.

You should run the lowest octane rating available that doesn't allow for detonation.
Guarf likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yes I added by mistake, I was talking to my friends while I pumped the gas and I saw the $20 and going up on the pump. I was like wtf is wrong with pump hahahaha.

Gonna start with the battery I did manage to push start it and stayed on so thinking is a bad battery hopefully.

Gonna open the clutch to see how burned it lol
post #6 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 08:54 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielondono View Post
Yes I added by mistake, I was talking to my friends while I pumped the gas and I saw the $20 and going up on the pump. I was like wtf is wrong with pump hahahaha.

Gonna start with the battery I did manage to push start it and stayed on so thinking is a bad battery hopefully.

OK, good! Using that by accident is one thing, but I was concerned you did that on purpose for a reason!

Dead battery from the sounds of it causing your starting problem. Make sure you properly set the slack in the clutch cable to eliminate that causing your slipping before tearing into it. And let us know if you're using some fancy adjustable clutch/brake levers on the bike. Those things can cause problems.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I have the battery on a tender right now to see if i can bring it back to life if not then new battery it is. I have crg levers but just the levers not the adjuster and i have never had any issues with them, i notice the problem after i changed my front sprocket... which i adjusted and was fine till now and when i had the issue at the track i adjusted it as well to see it would work but then had the issue not starting. So once i get it started i will definitely test the slack and if it persist i will open the clutch thats my plan for now thanks for all the answers guys i appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Quote:

OK, good! Using that by accident is one thing, but I was concerned you did that on purpose for a reason! <a href="https://zx-10r.net/forum/images/smilies/smilies/ayyy.gif" border="0" alt="" title="ayyy" >:-)</a>

Dead battery from the sounds of it causing your starting problem. Make sure you properly set the slack in the clutch cable to eliminate that causing your slipping before tearing into it. And let us know if you're using some fancy adjustable clutch/brake levers on the bike. Those things can cause problems.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Okay battery on tender charged but still didnt work its clicking but nothing, i bought a new battery just put it on and nothing im just getting a clicking sound... what could it be starter relay? I checked fuses they are all good.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-19-2019, 01:07 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Okay battery on tender charged but still didnt work its clicking but nothing, i bought a new battery just put it on and nothing im just getting a clicking sound... what could it be starter relay? I checked fuses they are all good.

Is it clicking fast repeatedly each time the starter button is pressed? Or does it click one time each time the starter button is pressed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
michael4012 likes this.

#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in