Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Clutch issues/won't start.

Gen 4: 2011-15 
Tags
clutch
2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  SkyDork 
#1 ·
ill start by saying I change my chain and sprocket -1 front stock rear and 520, went for a long ride a few months back and I noticed my bike slipping when at full throttle.
I adjusted me my clutch from the cable screw and it went away. Went to track yesterday and added 2 gallons of 100 gasoline lol and the mixed it with 93. only reason I'm mentions the gas is bc my friend said it would affect my engine and my have to do with my bike started slipping on 3rd gear when full throttle. I finished a session, when I came in I could smell the burn of the clutch. i decide to go for one last session turned my bike on tried to pull of from the garage and my bike turned off and the didn't want to start it sounds like when the battery is dead lol.

My question is would gas effect the clutch since the engine burning that fuel or the clutch was gonna go anyway.

I have about 15k miles on it. This happened yesterday I have not check the battery or fuses for the starting problem im more concern with my clutch lol and I have not opened my clutch either to see how bad it is lol.

Sorry for the long post. I know a few things about bike but not much.

#2 ·
Sounds like you have separate issues going on.

The starting issue is one thing and then the clutch slipping is another. The gas is unrelated to the clutch unless you're mixing it with the oil. That's pretty catastrophic.

The cable slack adjustment is more than likely the problem there. Or it's time for a new clutch. You weren't smelling the clutch burning, because it's a wet clutch spinning in oil inside a sealed engine. You were smelling something and thought it was the clutch.

Yes, running 100 octane gas will affect the engine. It shouldn't cause the clutch to slip since it is taking power away from the motor by doing that. With lower power from the 100 octane and still slipping the clutch, you've got clutch problems.

Troubleshoot the starting issue first. Then troubleshoot the clutch slipping. Then stop running that 100oct crap. :confused:

#5 ·
Yes I added by mistake, I was talking to my friends while I pumped the gas and I saw the $20 and going up on the pump. I was like wtf is wrong with pump hahahaha.

Gonna start with the battery I did manage to push start it and stayed on so thinking is a bad battery hopefully.

Gonna open the clutch to see how burned it lol

#6 ·
Yes I added by mistake, I was talking to my friends while I pumped the gas and I saw the $20 and going up on the pump. I was like wtf is wrong with pump hahahaha.

Gonna start with the battery I did manage to push start it and stayed on so thinking is a bad battery hopefully.

Gonna open the clutch to see how burned it lol

OK, good! Using that by accident is one thing, but I was concerned you did that on purpose for a reason! :ayyy:

Dead battery from the sounds of it causing your starting problem. Make sure you properly set the slack in the clutch cable to eliminate that causing your slipping before tearing into it. And let us know if you're using some fancy adjustable clutch/brake levers on the bike. Those things can cause problems.

#13 ·
Ugh, sorry to interrupt, a little bit of captain obvious here. Have you checked battery installation? I had similar symptoms back in the day when I installed my battery vise versa and spoiled the main 30A fuse and starter button gave me the same clicking sound (and also fuel pump started to pump backward :D)

It might also be the case if your clutch is burned and slipped because of high temperature and now it just cannot disengage properly. This way it would kick the bike forward though, so just disregard this one :eyecrazy:

#15 ·
Fuses are fine, i checked them all. i changed the battery and the starter solenoid since i order the parts thinking it was that until i read here from mr sky that it sound like my starter motors and i still got nothing same click so its gotta be the starter motor i will check that one out and see what happens lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.