Clutch Basket issue? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Clutch Basket issue?

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum. I've recently bought a 2008 zx10r. It has done around 22000kms and everything is running alright. It has a power commander V and a full exhaust system. I've been researching and found out that the Gen 3, which is my current bike, has a clutch basket issue due to rivets. My type of riding is pretty aggressive around the mountains but never going to the track and some occasional power wheelies. I insist to do all the work to the bike by myself because I live in Asia and I generally don't trust any motorcycle mechanics here, but my mechanical knowledge is really up to changing oil, installing PCV, adjusting chain slack and install rearsets... I'm worried and anxious that the clutch will blow any seconds so here are two questions.

1) What are the chances that the clutch basket will fail based on the type of riding I do?

2) Do you guys reckon I should change the clutch basket to the billet one that made by Hays or just leave it stock as is and deal with it when it actually blows?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions and easing off my anxiety.

P.S Apologise for my bad English!

Cheers
Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I think you have nothing to worry about, to sheer the rivets in the basket you need to be dumping clutch at high RPM's such as popping wheelies with the clutch from standstill, or drag racing but even then you have to be violent with the clutch for it to go, yes they have gone in the past but its more extreme use, for a cheap security you can weld the rivets to the basket rather than spend ona whole clutch pack.
gaz likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
I think you have nothing to worry about, to sheer the rivets in the basket you need to be dumping clutch at high RPM's such as popping wheelies with the clutch from standstill, or drag racing but even then you have to be violent with the clutch for it to go, yes they have gone in the past but its more extreme use, for a cheap security you can weld the rivets to the basket rather than spend ona whole clutch pack.
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciated it. I guess I'll just leave it and take a good care of it then. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 06:10 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welding the rivets is cheap and easy

04 1000rr, 05 zx10 rocket...check out some of my work in my albums link.. https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/album.php?albumid=3114
post #5 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grnrs View Post
Welding the rivets is cheap and easy
The thing is I don't know how to weld them and it's not easy to have access a welder around here...
post #6 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 05:14 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Where are you from

04 1000rr, 05 zx10 rocket...check out some of my work in my albums link.. https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/album.php?albumid=3114
post #7 of 13 Old 10-08-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Where are you from
Hong Kong mate. People here charge you a lot to just weld something up apparently and they're not doing a really good job from what I heard.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 06:29 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewHK View Post
Quote:
Where are you from
Hong Kong mate. People here charge you a lot to just weld something up apparently and they're not doing a really good job from what I heard.
Hong Kong huh! That's cool, how are the twisties and roads on that part of the world?
Guarf likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-09-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP90 View Post
Hong Kong huh! That's cool, how are the twisties and roads on that part of the world?
We've got some pretty decent twisties around the mountains but the only downside is that they're pretty short and we'll have to go up and down up and down all the time to really have fun. I'd prefer the roads on the western side of the world cos they in general are wider and pretty long. so you don't have to repeat the same road over and over again haha. Besides you get to see some pretty decent views after a long ride haha.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-10-2019, 10:00 AM
arc
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 with 150,000 KMs on the clock, never tracked or any wheelies, all three rivets inside the clutch basket have failed with sections of the casting broken away and spent some time self destructing inside that assembly:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_114752_1570719342159.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	424579   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_164302_1570719460369.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	424581  

Tomorrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of today?
Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in