Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Clutch Basket issue?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  MatthewHK 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum. I've recently bought a 2008 zx10r. It has done around 22000kms and everything is running alright. It has a power commander V and a full exhaust system. I've been researching and found out that the Gen 3, which is my current bike, has a clutch basket issue due to rivets. My type of riding is pretty aggressive around the mountains but never going to the track and some occasional power wheelies. I insist to do all the work to the bike by myself because I live in Asia and I generally don't trust any motorcycle mechanics here, but my mechanical knowledge is really up to changing oil, installing PCV, adjusting chain slack and install rearsets... I'm worried and anxious that the clutch will blow any seconds so here are two questions.

1) What are the chances that the clutch basket will fail based on the type of riding I do?

2) Do you guys reckon I should change the clutch basket to the billet one that made by Hays or just leave it stock as is and deal with it when it actually blows?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions and easing off my anxiety.

P.S Apologise for my bad English!

Cheers
Matthew

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you have nothing to worry about, to sheer the rivets in the basket you need to be dumping clutch at high RPM's such as popping wheelies with the clutch from standstill, or drag racing but even then you have to be violent with the clutch for it to go, yes they have gone in the past but its more extreme use, for a cheap security you can weld the rivets to the basket rather than spend ona whole clutch pack.

#10 ·
Gen 4 with 150,000 KMs on the clock, never tracked or any wheelies, all three rivets inside the clutch basket have failed with sections of the casting broken away and spent some time self destructing inside that assembly:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.