Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Carbon Wheels Long Term Review?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Boxtradamus 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any long-term dedicated street riding review for carbon or aftermarket wheels.
As much as I like carbon I feel like I'd get more longevity from a nice set of CoreMoto wheels or something...
Thoughts?

#4 ·
Its a fact, they last and stay true better than cast shite!! it used to be a worry pot hole damage with the early BST's but not anymore they are solid and look like the day they were fitted, i will say i have had some tyre depots turn down changing tyres on them because they fear damaging them?? Wether that is possible i do not know iv had 7-8 sets on mine with no issues.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, glad to hear they hold up for the long haul. And yes CF prices have definitely come down. Has anyone been able to get their hands on the CoreMoto wheels? It says they're still available for "pre-order".

#7 ·
I've been using them for 2 decades on various bikes both street and track. Commonsense goes a long way in that if you hit something hard enough to damage an alloy wheel you are likely going to damage a carbon one in the same way.

Carbon wheel prices haven't really come down that much in truth it is just the newer mag alloy wheels have really gone up in price! Some of the Forged Magnesium wheels are even lighter than the Carbon wheels now.

Forged Alloy on the other hand is pretty cheap, but in many cases you end up with a wheel that isn't really giving you anything other than aesthetics. A lot of people don't realize you can have actually have a wheel that is heavier than another wheel and it still performs better in regards to reducing gyroscopic precession due to the mass centralization of the weight versus the outer rim and VICE VERSA.

That being said I just got in some of the new BST Rapidtek for the R6 that I am really looking forward to testing.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
That being said I just got in some of the new BST Rapidtek for the R6 that I am really looking forward to testing.
If I ever went carbon I would definitely do the Rapidteks... It's kind of a no-brainer to stick with something that can be carried over from bike to bike (granted the wheel size is the same). I'm not sure if the CoreMoto wheels have replaceable hubs but if that's the case maybe I'll be more apt to spend the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.