Gen 4: 2011-2015 C3L1CA's Street/Strip Wanna Be Build Thread - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 243 Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

C3L1CA's Street/Strip Build Thread

Picked up a new bike and figured I'd make a thread to help me keep track of it and what not.

It's a 2012 Kawasaki ZX10R that I brought home on June 26, 2014. It was a new left over that they wanted to move so got a halfway decent deal on it.

After picking it up I bought a right away Zero Gravity Dark Smoke Double Bubble Series Windscreen, mounted/wired my GPS and set out to California. Put a little over 7,500 miles on it and bike did just great.

Link to my blog with more pictures and a few blurbs about the trip:
Blog Archives - Brad's 'cross' country trip

After I got home I threw it on the dyno to get a baseline before I started to mod it.

Bone stock it made 155 hp to the rear tire.

After the baseline I put on a Brock's Alien Head Slip On, got flashed by Archer, and threw it back on the dyno. Also got a Competition Werkes integrated tail light and mounted the plate on the tail with some double sided tape. Really helped clean the bike up.

It made 174.5 after a slip on and flash, a 19.2 increase.

Next up was the Rifleman's insert, which was a breeze as well as the PMR tether kill switch. The throttle insert makes it like a quick turn throttle, but for only $25 and only took about 15 minutes to install because I'm a little slow sometimes. Very easy mod and worth the $25. I also had the PMR switch around from the r1 so that was a free mod. Need one of these to run 9.99 or faster, and I hope it can break into the 9s first time out.

Next up after that was my Evil Swing arm I picked up on the drag racing forums. The evil swing arm is 8-12" over so if I did my math right it should sit be sitting around 67". At the same time installed a Soupy's lowering link, 16 tooth front sprocket and a 44 tooth steel rear sprocket. This is a -1/+5 combo which makes street riding kind of suck but it's nice for the track.

Swing arm was pretty straight forward, what took the most time was trying to get the front sprocket nut off. My impact wouldn't budge it, a breaker bar with the jack handle on the end wouldn't budget it either. Eventually got a buddy to bring over his snap on impact and got it off.

Went with a black 160 link 525 EK MVXZ chain and ended up cutting out 5 links. Could have only cut out 4 links to get another inch out of the swing arm but figured the long chain would probably stretch a bit and then I would run out of adjustment if it did. I'm glad I ended up cutting out 5 links as I have definitely had to adjust the chain a few times.

This bike also uses abs type grooves in the rear rotor to get a speed reading. Since the longer swing arm, the wiring would have reached but would have looked like poo and been really stretched. I cut into the harness and extended it about 12 inches and tucks in nice on the swing arm and looks pretty good I think.

Had a productive weekend once and replaced a handful of things.
First thing I started to tackle was to replace the spark plugs, install Graves Block Off Plates and change the air filter

The air filter was just plain nasty...

There was even a good amount of bugs in the frame leading to the air box.

Then installed a MPS Engine Kill box for the air shifter. It fits perfectly where the stock exhaust servo sat. Probably throw some velcro down once I finish wiring up the air shifter solenoid.

^Can also see the Power Commander 5 installed on the side of the battery too!

Was able to get the air shifter cylinder installed as well. Used a DME mount, made it stupid easy, and parts I had left over from the r1. Using parts from gainger ... 5ZEE4 - Air Cyl for the air cylinder, 6JJ52 for the Solenoid and 4TAE9 which is a new longer clevis/yoke. Will most likely run it off nitrous so I can use it on the street and not worry about running out.

The guy that flashed my ecu said he modified his ram air and the bike went crazy lean and he said it felt faster after messing with the tune. Figured I might as well follow suit and give it a try.

The stock ram air has a lot of foam and what they call a 'birdcage' in there. Interwebz says its to help keep noise down but I just want to make the most powa I can. So time to get all that extra stuff out of there!

Took out all the foam, birdcage and a little flap that looked like it'd reduce air flow. Finished picture:

Will finish tomorrow as I wanted to get 2 screws to block off little holes to help keep as much air flow as possible

Installed the Brock's clutch mod to get rid of the slipper clutch and also installed their heavy duty clutch springs. Hopefully helps the clutch last longer on the track.
Siwa likes this.

Last edited by C3L1CA; 07-21-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 243 Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Installed Power Commander's auto tune which you set a desired target a/f ratio and the piggy back tries to shoot for the targeted ratio while riding and then offers suggested changes to the map when you come back from the ride and download the trims. Seems to work pretty slick and bike feels a bit faster after the tune. Also trying out 87 octane on it and all seems well.

Also installed Driven Bar Ends and a GB Racing Alternator Cover.

Got the Pit Bull Trailer restraint all mounted up on the trailer. It's pretty slick as it doesn't compress the suspension or anything and can take the mounting parts off so if you want to use the trailer for something else you don't have a big motorcycle stand in the way.

Pit Bull Trailer Restraint System worked pretty slick, threw a strap around the front tire to help to keep it from moving around when hitting bumps. GTO pulled and camping gear just fine this weekend up to BIR, rear end was squated a bit low when loaded up but drove no problemo.

Bike did pretty good at the track. Got close to my 150 trap goal, best of 149, and hit my goal of doing better than the r1 first time out.

Best time was 9.247 @ 148.76.

The only issue at the track was the air shifter deciding not to work. Ended up taking off the bottle and whole setup and just foot shifting all weekend. Giving up on using nitrous for the air shifter for now and going to try just using air from the swing arm.

Went back to the track the next weekend and was pretty determined to get back on the track and do better with a working air shifter. After my first pass and spinning really hard I think I got a little gun shy and was cutting pretty bad 1.6 60' times. I was able to get one or two into the 1.5's again and figured I'd go for broke and try to turn down my kill time a bit. Turn down for 9.0s?!?

Ended up turning the kill time down too much and it didn't have enough kill time to make the 1-2 shift. Pretty much wrecked most of the decent launches I had trying to get it dialed back in.

I was able to beat my personal best by .004 and the trap speeds were in the 149's all day long on a full pass where I didn't screw something up.

Currently have a MT75 90/80/17 front tire on the way as well as some DME front fender lowering brackets. Hopeful that it will help lower the front end a bit more and help me launch a bit better.

I'll keep updating as new goodies/times come about

Last edited by C3L1CA; 04-10-2015 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 243 Old 09-17-2014, 04:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Subscribed. Nice work man

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 243 Old 09-17-2014, 08:54 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sharp bike man, nice times and mods to... Stay on that seat you be in 8's no time man!

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #5 of 243 Old 09-18-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED View Post
Subscribed. Nice work man
Thanks! I wish I could get some BST's like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx racer View Post
Sharp bike man, nice times and mods to... Stay on that seat you be in 8's no time man!
Thanks man! Hopefully you're right!
post #6 of 243 Old 09-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Nice run . Hope to get mine on the strip soon. Swb for me thoe.

Keep posting pics and vids we love that shit.

'06 CBR 600RR Retired
'05 CBR 1000RR Retired
Gen 4 ZX10R Black De-Badged, Flashed, Competition Wereks Exhaust, PCV, K&N Race Filter, 1/5 Riflemans insert, Afam sprockets 16t front 41t rear, Zero Gravity Windscreen, Yoshimura Fender Eliminator,Vortex Frame Sliders, Luimoto Monster Edition Seat Covers With Gel Inserts, Beloved by All, Rode Hard Put Up Wet Daily.

186 WHP Dynoed 07.12.14 Blias Cycles Dania FL.

The person thats says it can't be done should not interupt the person doing it.
post #7 of 243 Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 PM
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Freakin awesome!
post #8 of 243 Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
Thanks! I wish I could get some BST's like you

!
I got lucky with those on a trade in plus cash for my 2008 750 lol! I still use the factory rim and a shinko for the dragstrip though.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #9 of 243 Old 09-19-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misleadb4 View Post
Nice run . Hope to get mine on the strip soon. Swb for me thoe.

Keep posting pics and vids we love that shit.
Thanks. to racing this thing swb, I think its a hand full stretched lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd View Post
Freakin awesome!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED View Post
I got lucky with those on a trade in plus cash for my 2008 750 lol! I still use the factory rim and a shinko for the dragstrip though.
Not a bad deal at all!

I think I'm going to try cheating though and run some mr12 in the bike for the next track day. I'm crossing my fingers that between that and the grudge tire that it'll let me crack into the 8s
post #10 of 243 Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
!

Was able to get the air shifter cylinder installed as well. Used a DME mount, made it stupid easy, and parts I had left over from the r1. Using parts from gainger ... 5ZEE4 - Air Cyl for the air cylinder, 6JJ52 for the Solenoid and 4TAE9 which is a new longer clevis/yoke. Will most likely run it off nitrous so I can use it on the street and not worry about running out.

Great build thread man!!!

Looking forward to seeing how this nitrous air shifter development goes. I bought all the parts for a Nitrous shifter, just not assembled it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in