Gen 4: 2011-2015 C3L1CA's Street/Strip Wanna Be Build Thread - Page 18 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 243 Old 10-24-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 tony View Post
Tks for the Info, stretching my 2014 this week for next weekend. Curious are you In 6th with that gearing? Tk you again very Informative:)
Yep, I'm in 6th gear in the 1/4 mile. I've found it easier to launch with more gearing but it is a hard thing to learn what gearing helps you with the launch and 60' times but will still do well in the quarter mile. I liked my -1/+7 and the +6 seemed to work pretty well at the track a few weekends ago when I went. Gearing commander is a good site to help figure out top speeds with different gearing combos, although my top speed seems to be about 5mph off what it said for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogotta B. Biking View Post
I read through last half the thread with great interest..
My gen4 is atill a streetbike, but I made some changes to it coz in my country we have events where we can do one run and get the following read outs. quarter mile time/speed, half mile time/speed and fifth mile speed.. fifth mile is -1/+1 gearing for me as I just shy of limiter in 6th on the fifth mile

My interest in the threat is gearing and of course the use of mr12.

I have bought parts out of the gen4 race catalogue to assist the bike a bit.. what changes do I need to make, hardware for mr12? I did a race gasket with cam degree work.. limiter set to 14k rpm

Did you do ceramic bearings in wheels and gearbox?
I wouldn't think you'd need to do anything hardware wise to run MR12. You will want to tune for mr12 as the tunes are way different from MR12 and pump gas. I'm not an expert tuner by any means but I think you'd want to talk to a tuner and see if they'd do anything with timing on mr12 or just keep it stock.

I did do ceramic wheel bearings but haven't touched the gearbox. Since my bike is really mostly a track bike or nice weather bike at this point, I also left out the rubber seals on the wheels. This with the ceramic wheel bearings allow the wheels to spin for what seems like forever. I wouldn't leave the seals off for a street bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Hi man!luv reading your thread!the Arata full system is a beautiful piece of Japaneses workmanship!if I didn't already have a Nassert Beet I would of purchased the Arata system for sure!good luck and what's your ultimate 1/4 time?
Thank you! I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the full can systems but the Arata has really grown on me. The Nassert Beet is a beautiful exhaust as well Goal wise, I don't think I really have any goals for the 1/4 mile anymore. I'd like to get a bit deeper into the 8s but I'm happy that its consistently a 8 second pump gas bike that can be ridden on the street whenever I'd like. I would eventually like to try to do 200mph again but with my son being 9 months old and wife talking about trying for another before too long, I'll just be happy with my 8s and a few track days a year :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
Think you better concentrate on the gearing and do some test.
also if you can put a woolich with data loger and see your AFR and adjust...
work on your body position A LOT... free hp

I would put a busa front fender.

deleting a caliper would do more than the bearings.

seal your airbox chassis, mouth, 2 lids....
For top speed stuff, definitely listen to mpp as he knows his stuff. Another tip I've seen for top speed stuff is to remove anything that sticks out on the bike as that is just something else to catch air and theoritically slow you down. Levers, bar ends, mirrors, body positioning, etc.

I did make it to the track in the beginning of October and bike went 8.9s but was pretty rusty from not having raced or really ridden much this year. I was also 200ish in boxers too which didn't help anything lol. If I could get back down into the 180s or even 170s like I was last spring, get my clutch hand to work and get the tune dialed in a bit more I think it'd go a bit quicker.

I also picked up a used DME flat oil pan, found a used one for sale for a decent deal and scooped it up as you never see these things pop up used. Going with the flat pan makes me kind of want to go with a side winder too. I LOVE the Arata but the system does hang a little lower than the stock header did and with being so low for a drag bike I do not have much clearance. I think I was honestly holding back a bit on my launching as I was afraid to wheelie and come down on my fancy new exhaust.

With my son being born my motivation to go out street racing has been reduced greatly as I want to be around when he gets older and thinking back I've done a lot of stupid shit in my days lol. With not doing much if any street racing I was thinking of getting a slightly longer swing arm over the winter to help take some of the skill required out of my left hand. See if I can find a used one pop up this winter I might jump on it.

Then maybe just a few small things this winter, like try painting my race fairings from green to black as I don't love the green and just other little dumb things like grind down the extra rear brake caliper mount I have to make it not look so dumb/bulky on the back wheel since I don't run a rear brake.
SpazOnaZX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 243 Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

NO timing added on mr12.
SpazOnaZX and ddipaola like this.
post #173 of 243 Old 11-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thank you for the responses..
I admit with -1/+1 gearing I am not launching hard... I am relying on the better 1st gear to help me out... on 5th mile I am running into 14K rpm limit on the line, but acceleration is not as hard from the half mile as I wanted... My map is setup for acceleration on a racetrack, not a drag strip which means I may need a B-map which I can just switch over to. Would love to see 180mph on 5th mile and I am just just shy of it.
At the moment thinking of MR12 or E25, but would like to see where I am with the WW bearing kit first

Will check in soon

then for fun I drive a british racing green MINI Cooper S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 243 Old 11-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Both MR12 and Sunoco E15 are well oxygenated and both prescribe Air/Fuel of 13.9 or 14. . .

My current map is a track map with very good midrange. I accelerates hard if I change short of 13k, and then let it run through to 14k in 6th for half mile..

Looking for a map with more top end power for the straightline runs. .

then for fun I drive a british racing green MINI Cooper S
post #175 of 243 Old 02-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Someone got a sidewinder and not sayng shit?
post #176 of 243 Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ypyk_xau View Post
Someone got a sidewinder and not sayng shit?
lol, figured nobody would care since it'd be a while before I could get around to installing it.

But... I found a good deal on a sidewinder on facebook marketplace group so I picked that up. So gotta go pull my Arata off to try and get that sold before people spend all their tax return money lol

The one bummer about the sidewinder is that they don't have a wideband bung. I plan on installing 4 of these LINK on each of the header pipes for each cylinder. Then I'd like to put one on the muffler somewhere to just have a quick check on the a/f ratio while riding around/racing.

Unboxing video on the sidewinder if anybody cares lol:

I also picked up a used slightly longer arm, goes out to 72". Thinking I'll just buy a 170 link chain and see where it ends up, I'd guess it'll be 71ish inches. I was about 68.5ish before I believe so hopefully it helps me 60' better since I lack rider skillz lol. Hopeful that my shock won't need any spring change or anything since its only a little longer and I was just fine before.

Since my kiddo was born I don't feel like I'll be out racing on the street much anymore #dadlife. So was thinking of keeping on the race plastics on all the time and just getting a lighting setup like this LINK for when I do take it out. Also saw a guy that makes a grudge tank setup that would work with the stock pump and comes with a cover for $380. So if I sell my other exhaust I'm tempted to pick that up as well for the track.

After reading some threads I do kind of want to try to mod my airbox to create a smoother flow and even half tempted to try MWR XXL intake.

Lots of dumb ideas, who knows how many of them I'll actually do.

post #177 of 243 Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I rigged up this high quality o2 bung for sidewinder, I bolt it to the baffle bolt hole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190204-192804_1549326553131.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	420915  

04 1000rr, 05 zx10 rocket...check out some of my work in my albums link.. https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/album.php?albumid=3114
post #178 of 243 Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grnrs View Post
I rigged up this high quality o2 bung for sidewinder, I bolt it to the baffle bolt hole
That's a good idea. Do you worry about melting the wires though if they're inside the pipe? I've burnt my leathers pretty good on exhausts before, can't imagine the wires holding up that well but maybe I'm missing something. I love the idea though!
post #179 of 243 Old 02-05-2019, 01:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
That's a good idea. Do you worry about melting the wires though if they're inside the pipe? I've burnt my leathers pretty good on exhausts before, can't imagine the wires holding up that well but maybe I'm missing something. I love the idea though!
I little bit of fire sleeve goes a long way to help this sort of stuff... I put it on all my wires, fuel, oil, coolant, and boost/vacuum hoses at this point if they are anywhere near a heat source... worth the money!

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #180 of 243 Old 02-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Na the wideband I use has heat resistant wire, been riding with it last 3 days with no issues, just calibrate it free air before you try to get accurate readings for sure
michael4012 likes this.

04 1000rr, 05 zx10 rocket...check out some of my work in my albums link.. https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/album.php?albumid=3114
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in