Busted Speeding!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs down Busted Speeding!!

Dam it guys. I haven't been able to ride for 6.5 weeks due to a fractured ankle talus bone. Well i bought a new bike to replace my old one that i had an accident with. And i went to the dmv and to my work to do some errands. On my way home there is a free way off ramp that i like to open up the ZX10R on. Well as i came around the ramp into the collector part. There was a highway patrol entering the the collector and i smoked his ass by accident at over 165+ mph. I don't have my speedo healer installed yet and i don't really know how fast i was really going and it pissed off the trooper when he asked me how fast i was going and i said i don't know. Well i lucked out and talked him out of taking me to jail and impounding the bike. He eventually eased up a little and gave me a ticket for going 90mph in a 60 mph zone. That is a $350.00 fine on that ticket. Dam it i should have left the bike in the trailer and took the dam truck to work. Watch out for the police and be careful out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

At 165, Im suprised you stopped. Props to you for that, unfortunately I know more people than Id like that would have just bolted off. Got lucky too, down to 90, thats a pretty big reduction. Dunno how it works in UT, but in Cali you get 1 fine for 1-15 over and another for 15+. Anything over 100 is wreckless, jail, impound, everything you got out of lol.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

FL: they CAN do all of that, and also take your license. Especially if they want to label what you're doing as "street racing".
Some dumb asses out there (cars/bikes) have all but ruined it completely for the rest of us.
I'm not saying that I don't speed either, because I do, but I am also very aware of my surroundings and restrain myself from being wreckless and endangering others.
Some people will argue that there is no difference between speeding and wreckless driving. There is a fine line for sure, and either one can get you into alot of trouble. But show me someone on a sport bike that "never speeds" and I'll show you a liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH-FIGHTER View Post
FL: they CAN do all of that, and also take your license. Especially if they want to label what you're doing as "street racing".
Some dumb asses out there (cars/bikes) have all but ruined it completely for the rest of us.
I'm not saying that I don't speed either, because I do, but I am also very aware of my surroundings and restrain myself from being wreckless and endangering others.
Some people will argue that there is no difference between speeding and wreckless driving. There is a fine line for sure, and either one can get you into alot of trouble. But show me someone on a sport bike that "never speeds" and I'll show you a liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
And dont even THINK about lettin them catch you with the front tire off the ground here. Oh thats a BIG no-no!!

post #5 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Next time keep going unless you are definately caught. I dont know the whole story, but it seems dumb to me to blow by a cop at 165 and then stop abruptly to take your lashings.
Also, if you go to court and fight the ticket you will probably win since the cop has no idea what your speed was and you did not admit what it was to him. At very least get it knocked down to 70 in a 60 or something.
I got caught doing a wheelie once and got a wreckless ticket; went to court and argued that it was not wreckless and I won. The law says you have to directly endanger others for it to be wreckless. I did not endanger anyone else (no cars around) and the cop did not write down any details such as speed or the severity of the wheelie (how high, how far, etc), so the judge threw it out.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Dam,, like -op- said thats a Huge reduction. Stopping prolly helped the Cop in doing that, but still 90 in a 60 sucks !!!!
Famous last words are I shoulda let the Bike home, think weve all felt like that at 1 point or another. How long does UT make you wait for the Court Date??
post #7 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The cop mellowed out a bit once he realized i wasn't trying to run from him. He caught up to me 2 miles later at a red light! I really had no idea he was after me until i got pulled over?? That is my spot where i really open up the bike because there is no-one there most of the time. I didn't blow by the cop he was entering the section of road i was on after i came on from the on ramp just before him. He told me that if i fight it and he has to go to court he would tell the judge to raise the speed as he was at 130+ trying to hang with the 10! He did not note the speed he was at chasing me just the 90 in a 30. Usually here 28+ over is reckless and automatic jail. I lied and said the bike goes 100 mph in second gear and that i was in 4th gear! He also so said at +31 mph over is an automatic court appearance and you have to see the judge. I don't have time to be messing around with a judge as i have to work 60 hrs a week, So needless to say i was thankful for a few things the officer let me slide on. The money is not the issue but the points on the license is! Dam that make 2 tickets for 5 mph over and 1 for 30 over this year. Man i made it 3 yrs with no tickets and bam got 3 mo.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 06:52 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If it was me, I'd go home and take the wife out to dinner to celebrate not spending the night in the slammer and all the other stuff you avoided.
I'm not sure i'd be posting about it on a public forum until it was settled though, either.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Everytime I ride.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you did the right thing to stop in your case. When you are caught there is no reason to make it worse. It is nice of him to cut you a break and you can always pay the fine and move on. But from my experience its better to spend a little effort to get it reduced or thrown out. Ask to take the STOP class or whatever its called in your state. We are allowed once every two years to get a speeding ticket dismissed. Saves you a big hit to insurance rates for years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in