Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Broken Sprint

3K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Boxtradamus 
#1 ·
I pulled the Sprint filter out of my own Road G3 today for a clean and found a piece missing .........and it's not in the airbox... mmmmmm not good.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I don't doubt the performance of the Sprint filters, but in this case for whatever reason a piece has broken off and it cannot of gone anywhere else but down the inlets, so iv realistically gotta pull the head to check the valves and seats, i can't say the bike is running particularly differently and i don't know when it broke off. But it has broken off.

#9 ·
How brittle is the rest of the plastic? Seems like a big chunk and like someone else mentioned, maybe down in lower airbox or airduct funnel? I would think piece that large you would notice a change in throttle response or harsh plastic burning smell?

#16 ·
im the only one who works on my bike its done around 10,000 with this filter i normally clean the filter every 2500-3000 it was intact last time i fitted it no doubt that what ever happened happened while it was fitted, its a road bike and doesn't get pushed to limits very often.

#13 ·
No reason to pull the head just pull the throttle bodies off if you wanna go digging, I've seen plastic like that stuck in a jeep intake port for a long time. Eventually held the valve open and had no compression. Took piece out and ran fine.

#18 ·
I disagree, even though it doesn't appear to be running indifferently plastic has got into the engine it may well be not fowling a valve to seat, but the break in the plastic filter is new and i want to clean the pistons valves and seats of anything that could cause hot spots, pre detonation or anything that could cause premature wear or tear, its a motorcycle.

#20 ·
I do have a probe which I had used, there far from perfect especially when inspecting valve seats. I got a few hours this evening number 4 has build up on ex valve seats. I was expecting it to be number3 which is directly behind the broken part of filter but it appears to have gone down 4 (possibly because it's a much lower stack. I will have time tomorrow to check the valve run out, and hopefully just re-fresh the head and all will be good.

Attachments

#23 ·
The fit actually isn't bad, i have just taken this picture in an spare box, its brittle plastic, I bent the locating tab up to see how flexible it is and it broke just by bending it in one direction, I didn't need to bend it back and forth like a paper clip if you know what I mean. The performance gain with these filters is good, but maybe they should house it in more flexible plastic.

Attachments

#24 ·
good decision to pull that head and inspect, those ex valve seats need cleaning, reseating valves. difference in being fast and not, just the decision u have to know and willing to do the work. looking at combustion chamber, u modify those deck squish surfaces? appears very little squish area, especially if ur big bore engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.