Gen 5: 2016- Break in oil maintenance - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Break in oil maintenance

Recently brought a 2017 ZX10R and I am at my 600-mile service mark. What is the best oil you would recommend to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Canola oil

2016 zx10r
Throttlemeister machined throttle lock bar ends
Zero gravity corsa windscreen
TST integrated tail light
Techspec snakeskin grip pads
2 bros slip on s1r
Ecu flash coming soon
Radiator guard coming soon
post #3 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Iíve had good luck with Motul 7100 10w40......but any name brand quality motorcycle oil is good. On new bikes I usually do the first change even sooner than recommend. It doesnít take long to do the initial break in that gets all the little metal parts in the oil (cue off topic options).

Tyler Wolters - AFM #54
WoltersRacing.com

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tyler...02139439887883

2019 Support Ė Capital Edge Financial, Direct Technology, Pacific Track Time, CT Racing, Pirelli Tires, PCP Motorsports, TechSpec, Motion Pro, GP Suspension, Daredevil Motorsports, Vortex, Motonation, Sidi Boots, Forcefield Armour, Suomy Helmets, Cycle Gear, Racer Gloves, Spy Optics, Shorai, GoPro, Braking, Ogio, Wicked Audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machining View Post
Canola oil
lmfao
post #5 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFM54 View Post
Iíve had good luck with Motul 7100 10w40......but any name brand quality motorcycle oil is good. On new bikes I usually do the first change even sooner than recommend. It doesnít take long to do the initial break in that gets all the little metal parts in the oil (cue off topic options).
I was stuck with between choosing Motul, Castrol or Mobil 1. Heard Motul is good.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 06:42 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

After being a car and bike enthusiast for almost 25 years and constantly reading and reading info from subject matter experts, I've observed 2 schools of thought on oil. Either a person is passionate about a particular oil for one reason or another, or you go with any synthetic oil that meets the required specs and just change it regularly. Honestly, how are you ever going to know the difference as long as you change it every 3,000miles (or 5,000km for non-Americans).

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, geared (-1/+0), Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, Ohlins NIX30, Lightech adjusters. Bestem carbon. 50,000km+ and good so far.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-07-2019, 07:55 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

JMHO, But,

I only run Amsoil in my bikes now. I am not an Amsoil nut, I don't run it in anything except my bikes.

The reason I run Amsoil is because of my 2006 Honda. I ran Amsoil in it when I bought it (used with 6K miles on it) but was tired of paying $10 a qt for oil. Not only is that more than I'd like to pay, but the Honda used enough oil that I'd have to add a qt between changes (race only bike). So, I changed to Castrol Synthetic MC oil. I instantly noticed a difference in the shifter feel. I could literally feel the shift dogs when shifting. I started missing shifts and it just felt bad. I dumped the Castrol and put Amsoil 10W40 MC oil back in and everything went back to normal. Because of this I run Amsoil in all of my bikes now. I still don't like paying $10 a qt but I feel it is worth the extra few dollars per oil change.

That said, I've never run any other oils and some others may be just as good or even better than the Amsoil. I found that I was happy with the Amsoil and just haven't felt the need to change ever since that one time.

HTH
post #8 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
After being a car and bike enthusiast for almost 25 years and constantly reading and reading info from subject matter experts, I've observed 2 schools of thought on oil. Either a person is passionate about a particular oil for one reason or another, or you go with any synthetic oil that meets the required specs and just change it regularly. Honestly, how are you ever going to know the difference as long as you change it every 3,000miles (or 5,000km for non-Americans).
Yeah with my car I've always gone with Valvoline because I liked how my car reacts to with that brand. Now with the Motorcycle, I'm not sure since all the bikes i've ridden weren't owned by me. So I am giving Motul a shot first and will go from there.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloose View Post
JMHO, But,

I only run Amsoil in my bikes now. I am not an Amsoil nut, I don't run it in anything except my bikes.

The reason I run Amsoil is because of my 2006 Honda. I ran Amsoil in it when I bought it (used with 6K miles on it) but was tired of paying $10 a qt for oil. Not only is that more than I'd like to pay, but the Honda used enough oil that I'd have to add a qt between changes (race only bike). So, I changed to Castrol Synthetic MC oil. I instantly noticed a difference in the shifter feel. I could literally feel the shift dogs when shifting. I started missing shifts and it just felt bad. I dumped the Castrol and put Amsoil 10W40 MC oil back in and everything went back to normal. Because of this I run Amsoil in all of my bikes now. I still don't like paying $10 a qt but I feel it is worth the extra few dollars per oil change.

That said, I've never run any other oils and some others may be just as good or even better than the Amsoil. I found that I was happy with the Amsoil and just haven't felt the need to change ever since that one time.

HTH
Amsoil is a great oil from what I hear but that was in the car world. How long have you been using Amsoil?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I run amsoil too, changed to it about 1700 miles ago. Amsoil metric and oem filter.

2016 zx10r
Throttlemeister machined throttle lock bar ends
Zero gravity corsa windscreen
TST integrated tail light
Techspec snakeskin grip pads
2 bros slip on s1r
Ecu flash coming soon
Radiator guard coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in