Gen 1: 2004-2005 Bike Doesn't Want to Start - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nakedinseattle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Bike Doesn't Want to Start

I have a 2005 zx10r with approx 19k miles on it, i've owned the bike for around 4 years now (maybe 5?) and unfortunately haven't ridden it much the past three years (right when i bought a new sports car lol). last season when i went to start it up it didn't want to start and then I finally got it to run with new fuel / fuel injector cleaner but it was running a bit shit (hesitating and not always wanting to stay running while at idle). It started to ride a bit better as fresh fuel/etc. was worked thru it but shortly after that i broke my only key to the bike and waited until this season to have a locksmith cut me a new key....

Fast Forward and bike wouldn't start ... hesitates a bit and will sputter a few random exhaust mumbles/come to life for a brief split second and then back to not starting.

So I just changed out all four spark plugs this weekend and put a fresh new battery. Still same issue ... I emptied the tank as best I could but some gas was left in there ... my guess is water got in the tank and is in the fuel injectors and I have to just keep trying to start it and get that shit out of the bike, but that is my not so educated guess. When i use starter fluid it runs fine for 10-15 seconds before back to before. It will, too, randomly start for a brief pulse or two ... so i KNOW it is getting fuel + spark + compression at least in moments. my hunch is the fuel injectors/lines got water/gunk in them and i need to flush them out. I added fresh gas to the little bit that was left in it and put fuel injector/gas cleaner in with it.

Any ideas? Is getting the injectors themselves cleaned the next step? Anything else that could be causing the issue?

Side note ... spark plug replacement on these gen1's are a pain in the ass. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Just to update this thread that got no love:

-replaced battery
-replaced all four spark plugs

still did not want to start.

would start with starter fluid and stay on for 10-15 seconds. That had me conclude it is a fuel issue and my thought of clogged or dirty fuel injectors was back in play. So i made sure i completely removed ALL gas from the tank. put in some fresh 93 octane as well as some fuel injector cleaner product. started bike with starter fluid and kept it running as best i could while revving it trying to clean the shit/water/whatever it is all out ....

... eureka. bike is running strong right now and i hope/suspect will only run stronger the more i run clean fuel with the fuel injector fluid product in there to further clean the internals.

Next up on my to do list: new coolant, oil change, and fresh brake fluid. since it sat so long tires were a bit off but the more i ride the more it seems to be correcting itself. Otherwise that'll get added to the list but these have a fair bit of life left on them
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2019, 04:08 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

well done. may wanna replace your fuel lines and inspect inside the tank with a mirror and light, don't want any rust, corrosion or deposits breaking loose and becoming a new issue

flat spotted tires will fix themselves after a good heat cycle

double check your chain and run it for kinks, sitting that long can gum it up and or just kill it
Melampus likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-12-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
well done. may wanna replace your fuel lines and inspect inside the tank with a mirror and light, don't want any rust, corrosion or deposits breaking loose and becoming a new issue

flat spotted tires will fix themselves after a good heat cycle

double check your chain and run it for kinks, sitting that long can gum it up and or just kill it
Thank you for the feedback! I think there is some rust/corrosion in the tank truthfully which I suspect was part of the problem, the bike unfortunately sat outside for quite some time without a cover and some water got into the tank. I did give it the best look I could inside the tank and it looked okay but I will try to get a better look in there. It's running really strong right now I am actually super impressed, the old plugs looked pretty bad when I pulled them so i suspect that is a big part of it running smoother. Chain I did check and since that was replaced less than 1000 miles ago (albeit that still was 2 years now) it still is in pretty good shape. Just been scooting around the street and letting it run and it seems perfect at this point - feel like it successfully ungunked itself. The fuel injector cleaner i used was a blend with some other stuff in it that was a bit more than regular seafoam/stp stuff and i *think* it was pretty helpful, too.

I appreciate your input/advice. thank you!
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i dunno about your area but there are usually companies around that'll re-coat the inside of the tank to make sure it's fully sealed, might be cheap insurance to keep some rust flakes from screwing up something down the road. and i dont know it but i'm sure there's DIY kits for it too.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #6 of 6 Old 04-20-2019, 04:53 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question >> Tank Coat? <<

NAKEDSTL <> In the vein of the thread, what is this tank coating you reference?

Embracing the silence amid a life & land full of static...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in