Gen 4: 2011-2015 Anyone switch from the M4 GP because it was too loud? (don't want to wear earplugs) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Anyone switch from the M4 GP because it was too loud? (don't want to wear earplugs)

So I bought an M4 GP after people saying it was loud but I underestimated how loud. I love the sound of it but hate the idea of wearing earplugs all the time.

Has anyone after getting the M4 GP sold it for something quieter that didn't require ear plugs to ride and what did you go to? Does the M4 Street Slayer still require ear plugs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Why are you opposed to ear plugs?

I have the Street Slayer and it's loud. Not as loud as the GP, but still loud. Any of the low exit ones will be an issue as the end of the exhaust is right below your ear. Street Slayer, Graves, Austin, etc will all be about the same. If you're going to change it out to avoid ear plugs then you're going to go with a rear exit exhaust like the M4 standard mount, Akrapovic, Yoshimura, etc. where the end is well aft of your head. Or get ear plugs.

Did I mention ear plugs as an option?
belkins likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Why are you opposed to ear plugs?

I have the Street Slayer and it's loud. Not as loud as the GP, but still loud. Any of the low exit ones will be an issue as the end of the exhaust is right below your ear. Street Slayer, Graves, Austin, etc will all be about the same. If you're going to change it out to avoid ear plugs then you're going to go with a rear exit exhaust like the M4 standard mount, Akrapovic, Yoshimura, etc. where the end is well aft of your head. Or get ear plugs.

Did I mention ear plugs as an option?
The more I am reading it sounds like a may not have a choice. I like the short exhausts so if they would all require ear-plugs then I guess I will be stuck.

I was mostly worried about possibly hearing someone talk to me like at a stop light or something. Someone in a car, another person I am riding with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Learn Sign Language then.

Here's a good tutorial:

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Learn Sign Language then.

Here's a good tutorial:
Read that the Graves is no where near as bad, maybe I will put the GP up for sale.
post #6 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 10:49 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afkjustin View Post
Read that the Graves is no where near as bad, maybe I will put the GP up for sale.
The Graves is the same thing as the Street Slayer. I have the M4, my buddy has the Graves. Sound is almost identical. Both are loud and right under your ear. Both will be better than that GP thingy, but they will still be ear-splitting at full song. I ride with headphones in and have no problem hearing the exhaust over my iPod cranked to volume 11.

Don't fool yourself again. If you want a good sounding, quieter exhaust, none of these short GP-style pipes will work.
trackaddict likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Last edited by ZX10RArcher; 07-25-2019 at 11:54 PM.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10RArcher View Post
My problem with the M4 GP was how it just droned; it was loud and obnoxious at WOT or just cruising around; didn't matter. The worst was long straight rides to the areas we rode in where there was no throttle modulation and the exhaust would just drone and hum the shit out of my ears. I eventually got rid of it for the Graves full system.

Definitely not as loud as the M4 GP, a lot more subdued. Also, the exhaust tone and pitch changes when you are in the throttle and not into as much. So if you're just putzing around town it's not going to drive you insane with its obscenity but if you get into the throttle, she opens up and let's people know you're around, just not nearly as bad as the M4 GP.
This is exactly what I was looking for and I should have explained better. Droning is the biggest issue, the noise level was not as obnoxious as it just droning. Glad to hear you did the exact thing I may do and it worked out for you. Do you tend to wear ear plugs or no?
post #9 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 12:09 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

afkjustin likes this.

Last edited by ZX10RArcher; 07-25-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-29-2016, 12:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10RArcher View Post
Not really. Probably should though; I'm already 50% deaf thanks to the military.

Short, long, or stock... earplugs are a good idea. If you make riding a lifestyle choice it will damage your hearing without earplugs. Trust me. If you want a fun confirmation of the fact, just hang out at local meet spot and wait for a group ride to come roaring in from a pass.... non-earplug groups are usually damn-near yelling at each other for a good 30 minutes after a good ride & they don't even realize it. :)
trackaddict and ZX10RArcher like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in