Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Anyone switch from the M4 GP because it was too loud? (don't want to wear earplugs)

Gen 4: 2011-15 
14K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Divadammala 
#1 ·
So I bought an M4 GP after people saying it was loud but I underestimated how loud. I love the sound of it but hate the idea of wearing earplugs all the time.

Has anyone after getting the M4 GP sold it for something quieter that didn't require ear plugs to ride and what did you go to? Does the M4 Street Slayer still require ear plugs?

See less See more
#2 ·
Why are you opposed to ear plugs?

I have the Street Slayer and it's loud. Not as loud as the GP, but still loud. Any of the low exit ones will be an issue as the end of the exhaust is right below your ear. Street Slayer, Graves, Austin, etc will all be about the same. If you're going to change it out to avoid ear plugs then you're going to go with a rear exit exhaust like the M4 standard mount, Akrapovic, Yoshimura, etc. where the end is well aft of your head. Or get ear plugs.

Did I mention ear plugs as an option? :idea:

Reactions: belkins
#3 ·
The more I am reading it sounds like a may not have a choice. I like the short exhausts so if they would all require ear-plugs then I guess I will be stuck.

I was mostly worried about possibly hearing someone talk to me like at a stop light or something. Someone in a car, another person I am riding with.

#8 ·
My problem with the M4 GP was how it just droned; it was loud and obnoxious at WOT or just cruising around; didn't matter. The worst was long straight rides to the areas we rode in where there was no throttle modulation and the exhaust would just drone and hum the shit out of my ears. I eventually got rid of it for the Graves full system.

Definitely not as loud as the M4 GP, a lot more subdued. Also, the exhaust tone and pitch changes when you are in the throttle and not into as much. So if you're just putzing around town it's not going to drive you insane with its obscenity but if you get into the throttle, she opens up and let's people know you're around, just not nearly as bad as the M4 GP.
This is exactly what I was looking for and I should have explained better. Droning is the biggest issue, the noise level was not as obnoxious as it just droning. Glad to hear you did the exact thing I may do and it worked out for you. Do you tend to wear ear plugs or no?

#10 ·
Not really. Probably should though; I'm already 50% deaf thanks to the military.
:iamwithstupid:

Short, long, or stock... earplugs are a good idea. If you make riding a lifestyle choice it will damage your hearing without earplugs. Trust me. If you want a fun confirmation of the fact, just hang out at local meet spot and wait for a group ride to come roaring in from a pass.... non-earplug groups are usually damn-near yelling at each other for a good 30 minutes after a good ride & they don't even realize it. :)

#12 ·
#14 ·
exhaust or not, 20 minutes at hwy speeds, just wind noise in the helmet, will cause PERMENENT hearing loss.

personally,I cant stand to ride without plugs anymore. you can still hear and see everything going on around you.

once hearing is lost... it does not heal itself, and return. IT'S GONE! YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT, DONT LOSE IT. Ski

Reactions: ZX10RArcher
#16 ·
Clearly there are some misconceptions here about about wearing earplugs while riding. Take the time to read this article.

I've worn earplugs since I first started riding years ago. Didn't matter if I was on my 300 with a stock can (quietest bike I've ever ridden) or my 600 with straight pipes... the exhaust dB levels will always be trumped by wind noise above certain speeds.

Wind noise on a bike at 60 mph with a full-face helmet on is around 100-110 dB. Those levels can begin to cause permanent hearing loss after 30+ minutes of exposure. Think about that next time you plan on riding.

I don't have any problem talking to others, or maintaining awareness on the road, or doing anything else other riders do. It boggles my mind that few others I know wear earplugs while riding, even after I've explained all this to them... then again, unlike them I already have about 50% hearing loss and need to save whatever I've got left.

#17 ·
I plan to read the article above and will highly consider wearing ear plugs at least more often/on long rides. I was not aware that it was such a risk until now. My dad has ridden since 18y/o and I don't believe he ever wore them so I didn't realize I should. (I also don't think he has any hearing loss but...)

About the exhaust:
I have ridden more since posting the original post and have been wearing ear plugs as I still have the M4 GP. It's STILL too loud even with earplugs and the droning goes right through the ear plugs. I have taken the advice and I ordered a Graves slip-on. Once I get it and put it on I will post if it's any better. I will also have a slightly used M4 GP up for sale at that point.

#19 ·
My dad has ridden since 18y/o and I don't believe he ever wore them so I didn't realize I should. (I also don't think he has any hearing loss but...)

About the exhaust:
I have ridden more since posting the original post and have been wearing ear plugs as I still have the M4 GP. It's STILL too loud even with earplugs and the droning goes right through the ear plugs.
One of the troublesome things about hearing loss is that it's rarely immediate, and is therefore difficult for the person to realize the damage being done over the years - if they do notice a difference, it's a small and seemingly inconsistent one, and they get used to it. A lot of people also assume that their hearing loss is simply due to them "getting older", but this is inaccurate. That belief is especially the case with older generations, who grew up and had careers before we recognized the importance of hearing protection.

Even with a properly fitted helmet (which is another thing a LOT of riders get wrong!) and my best set of earplugs in, my 600's straight pipes had a similar "drone" to them when cruising at highway speeds. As others have stated, this is simply the nature of any shortened exhaust system. Unfortunately, there isn't really an easy work-around for it. It's a trade-off between short and full-length exhaust systems.

I've also noticed that wearing earplugs makes a tremendous difference in my concentration and focus while riding. They cut out a lot of ambient noise and allow me to hear my bike a little clearer, which can help me notice any problems and also allows me to shift up and down a lot smoother than when I can't hear it and can only feel it.

Cutting out as much of this noise as possible also helps significantly with exhaustion. Since my weekend rides tend to be anywhere from twelve to twenty hours round-trip, this can make a very big difference for me and the people I ride with.

#18 ·
Definitely rock ear plugs. Its fun if I know Im not getting on the freeway to hear the bike and stuff without them in, but I tend to feel more focused with ear plugs. It feels like the rest of the world is less distracting and I focus on riding more. That and I very much appreciate having my hearing. Its also why I wear ear plugs and work and such. Loud noises, especially constantly loud noises, will give you permanent hearing issues. Ive noticed a alight reduction in exhaust noise from wearing ear plugs, but that doesnt feel nearly as drastic as the reduction in ambient noise.

Skydork has said this, those stubby little exhaust will all be loud. They might have a little different character because of the manufacturer, but theyll all be loud. Just isnt enough baffling and muffler to reduce that much sound. Tone can be slightly altered though.

#20 ·
I bought my zx-10r with a M4 GP Exhaust already installed in it; even wearing ear plugs, the noise was unbearable; the silencer that goes inside the pipe didn't make a difference. I hated that pipe with a passion. I went ahead and sold it and purchased a Yoshimura R77. The Yoshi was too quiet, so I cut it down by 3 inches and now sounds awsome.

#21 ·
So you kind of stated how I feel about those two pipes and why I have not decided what pipe to put on my ZX-10R yet.

I had a Suzuki GSXR 600 with a Yosh R77 on it and even with the baffle removed it was extremely quiet .

My friend had same bike as me with a M4 Street Slayer and it was annoyingly loud.

I would like to get a pipe somewhere in the middle.

I was hoping the Graves would achieve that but not sure.

#24 ·
Ear plugs are a must. I have friends who think I am silly for wearing them. I try to explain all of the above and they just don't get it. I guess I should expect as much as these are the people who aren't wearing any gear when riding because it is to hot. I have the two brothers which is similar to the M4, and it is pretty loud. But with the db killer it is much better!

#26 ·
my buddy has a graves, its louder than my akra with the baffle in. with the baffle in min sounds a little louder than stock with a better sound. without the baffle in it screams and sounds like a yoshi on a 600

#27 ·
I always ride with ear plugs, stock exhaust or otherwise. It really reduced fatigue from wind noise and otherwise.

My 2011 GSXR750 had the M4 gp exhaust when I bought it. I got sick of it after about a month and replaced it with a Yoshimura and enjoyed it much more. The M4 was just obnoxiously loud and it droned like crazy.

I put a Graves on my ZX10 and I was happy with it for the most part. It looked nice, wasn't real loud until I really whacked the throttle open and was pretty cheap. Its a very nice exhaust for a street bike.

That being said, the only bike that I own that still has plates and insurance is my 99 R1 which has the stock exhaust on it still. I'm not going to change it any time soon, it's refreshing to ride such a quiet and stealthy bike for a change.

#28 ·
I use to love hearing the sound of my exhaust (shorty) now not so much..earplugs all the way, all the time... like others have stated... it makes a more enjoyable ride..

#29 ·
Update:

I actually did replace the exhaust with the Graves, it is quieter and doesn't have that drone noise at certain RPMs. I will say it still sounds good but doesn't sound as "mean" as the M4, trade off is worth it for being quieter though (to me).

The M4 is for sale, will post in the sale section but looking for around $300obo (200 miles).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.