Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Any mod you regret, was disappointing? Overly impressive mod?

7K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  kungfugrip 
#1 ·
Ever put on an aftermarket part on your ZX-10R (any Gen) only to find it didn't meet your expectations or was a disappointment? Maybe product quality just wasn't there? Ever do a mod that was overly impressive? Let's hear some stories!:helmet::eek:ccasion1

#2 · (Edited)
When I bought aftermarket fairings after I highsided a few years ago and the color didn't match and everything about them was shit and they wouldn't give me my money back.

swingarm extensions are a joke as well. they were good for a while then the left one snapped

going back to SWB with -1,+5 was by far the most fun for me so far, but im sure it will change when my motor is built

#3 ·
Back in the days of my EX500 (in Canada), I had heated grips installed. Teh best mod EVARRRR!!

Recently, I installed Vortex rearsets on my gen1. I was actually impressed beyond expectations.

I sent my forks for revalving. When I got them back, they weren't set exactly to my weight, and I had little experience adjusting suspension. After a few experiments I didn't get it right, and so I was quite disappointed. I finally got it right (and got more experience in the process, heh), but I no longer remember what the stock felt like, so I can't tell what the difference is. lol Overall I'm happy with it though.

#4 ·
The Dan Moto rearsets leave something to be desired but for the price I cant say Im upset. I just wish I would have spent more and got a better set. The off brand ebay no cut frame sliders have been great though. Endured 2 crashes, one of them pretty hard and they have done their job perfectly.

#5 ·
the BEET exhaust is amazing. one of a kind sound and look. the attack rearsets i have are awesome too. lots of adjustment, and you really notice it when you change the position of them even slightly. i moved them up one hole, it made the bike feel lighter and easier to ride. who knew!

ATRE, installed the GI PRO /w ATRE from healtech. rode around for a couple weeks loving my bike. remembered i had that, so i turned it on. it smoothed out the throttle soooooo much. no chop. not even 10 rpm. if you roll on 1mm per second it picks up just that slowly, doesnt bog or choke or anything. it didnt give it more power or anything, just made the throttle feel so smooth.

im pretty much happy with everything ive done to my bike thats listed in my signature. i tried a couple of china things some were good some not. a 30 dollar windscreen shipped to my door for my wifes r6 was a great deal! it may wear and scratch faster but for 30 bucks, ill buy a new one every year!

#7 ·
Reactions: Johnn999
#8 ·
I was really disappointed with nitrous too. It looked cool on the dyno graph, but it was such a PITA to manage bottle filling, temperature, pressure, etc. And on a SWB/stock height gen 2 is was about fuck all useful for lowering ET. 5-7 more mph though. :) It would have been cool if I was shooting more than a 35 shot and the bike was set-up for it, to be fair. I also hate every set of aftermarket heated grips I've tried. By the time I -need- heated grips (sub 40 degree weather), they are never warm enough to make a difference.

On the flip side, I love changing the LED colors in my gauges (not in the ZX10, but other bikes). Best mod so far has been the supercharger, hands down. Forced induction is stupid addictive... it makes a crack habit feel like a faint itch.

#9 ·
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this one but.........that damn -1/+2. It just revs out to fast for me. I can be rollin at 70mph in 3rd gear and my rpm's are above 8k. Just don't like the way it feels. Yeah she shoots out the gate like a raped ape but just a bit too aggressive for my taste. When it's time to change my sprockets I'm definitely goin to just -1 up front.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#10 ·
My first supersport, an 09 R6. Put 4000 miles on it stock. Went from stock to a full TBR exhaust, TBR Juice box, and -1+2... Holly mother of god. I think I rode that bike with a permanent grin for at least 500 miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#12 ·
Best mods so far: 1/5 Throttle from Rifleman, changing the backlighting on my gauge cluster to green and white instead of orange, and my Soupys Lowering Links because I can infinitely fuck with the rear end height.

Oh, and a spanner wrench to change the preload on the rear shock. Holy shit did the bike feel more planted.

#13 ·
BST wheel set , PFM 320mm brake conversion, Translogic Dash ,1/5 Throttle (Rifleman), Ballistic Evo battery to name but a few and all worth it :thumbsup:

#14 ·
In all honesty i dont feel much difference in most of the mods i do (let say power from exhaust filter, or even de restriction)

But the mods that I did feel a lot and liked quite a bit were the Motion Pro quick throttle and gearing change.

On my 1st gen i was very pleased with the caliper change.

#16 · (Edited)
Mods I am impressed with....
Full TI Muzzy system
Quick shifter
BMC street filter
Dyno tune
Rifleman's 1/5th
GPR v4
PC3
Faux Carbon Fiber Frame paint job
-1/+4
My exhaust servo eliminator / PC3 is there now :thumbsup:
Healtech Speedo Healer
No cut frame sliders
My FI light switch
ZX14 front M/C
S/S front & rear lines
There are a few more but I can't remember right now.
And more to follow soon.

Mods that SUCKED.......
Nicecycle aftermarket fairings... Sucked ASS
Counter Act beads. Worst by far. Terrible Absolutely did not work,
actually fucked shit up.
Curvygirl 90 degree valve stems. shit kept leaking

#17 ·
Best Mods for a 1st Gen and some a MUST:

Steering Damper
Pazzo Levers
2nd Gen Cluster on a 1st Gen Conversion
-1/+1 Gearing
No Cut Frame Sliders
ThrottleMeister(Cruise Control)

Can't really think of anything I regret though for the many other things they served their purpose. :dontknow: Most of the other stuff was tools, windscreens etc. that I could give bad reviews but not much.

Bloo

#24 ·
Sorry I forgot one of the Best Mods for Gen 1 and that was a Gear Indicator I made the transmission gears are so close it's my Favorite mostly street riding Mod because it works great and fast so it's Top 3 Mod and Must have now spoiled with it and of Course a SpeedoHealer to compliment the Speed Changes.

Bloo

#19 ·
Going to have to say the Akra and link pipe set up on my Gen4 is a bit of buyers remorse. Looks good in pictures but now its like I wish I went with Grieves.
I get boot marks on the slip on which has started to scratch it and some of the dirt marks wont come off the link pipe? Also way to loud with out the baffle in it makes a huge cop magnet.

#20 ·
Loud pipes save lives. I dont have the slightest idea what mods are better or worse as i cant ride my bike yet. but i like this thread, gives me a good idea what not to waste money on.

#27 ·
Not really into modding, if it works I leave it alone, but best mod apart from changing spring rates and setting up the suspension for my weight would have to be flipped bars :cool:

Also the throttle meister is a simple and inexpensive little addition to the throttle grip that makes riding much more comfortable, especially on a long journey :thumbsup:

Attachments

#32 ·
Yep if ur uses to it itll feel like a turd if u go back to stock gearing. My gearing made other 1000s feel like 600s

#34 ·
ok guys! thanks! i will listen to you and get that thought out of my head!

#35 · (Edited)
Akrapovic slip-on: carbon end insert UV damaged => white-ish after 15-months (two summers) of five-days per week parked in full sun.

Oxford Heated Grips: on average I get three replacements of the controller over the 12 months of warranty. The quality has been crap for years. They persevere and without an alternative, so do I.

Spiegler SS braided brake lines on ABS: a total PIA to install and with the solid steel OEM line segments replaced with braided, the overall result is similar to stock.

Ivan's wire mod on de-restricted ECU: little improvement in throttle snatch and consumed around 10% more fuel.

R&G Aero Bobbins: low-sided my 2011 and cracked engine block. Although given the impact, not unexpected.

Rear Sprockets with discontinuous inner rings: Ref http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=120989

#36 ·
Akrapovic slip-on: carbon end insert UV damaged => white-ish after 15-months (two summers) of five-days per week parked in full sun.

Oxford Heated Grips: on average I get three replacements of the controller over the 12 months of warranty. The quality has been crap for years. They persevere and without an alternative, so do I.

Spiegler SS braided brake lines on ABS: a total PIA to install and with the solid steel OEM line segments replaced with braided, the overall result is similar to stock.

Ivan's wire mod on de-restricted ECU: little improvement in throttle snatch and consumed around 10% more fuel.

R&G Aero Bobbins: low-sided my 2011 and cracked engine block. Although given the impact, not unexpected.
man you should just stop spending money on mods!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.