Gen 5: 2016- 2017 zx10rr performance mods - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-25-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2017 zx10rr performance mods

I’m new to tuning/modding bikes, but I’m looking to get the most out of my 2017 10RR. I’m interested in doing anything short of motor work like race cams or gaskets and stuff. I know full system, flash, air filter are the typical suspects. But what else is out there? I’ve seen airbox heat wraps, and intake flapper deletes. Anything else to remove, any other emissions shit to pull out ? Even if they only give 1-2hp gains or minute weight reductions I’d like to hear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 03:08 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've just started tinkering with my 17 - and small things have woken it up (and it was quick in stock form, mine is a euro bike).

I've reflashed the ecu (Woolich), decatted with a good, free flowing exhaust and added a K&N filter just for the sake of it.
The ecu runs stock maps for now, with emissions features turned off (and the autoblipper enabled, it's a hoot :D ), the maps I've looked at that can be downloaded, I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole...the bike will have the stock fuelling checked on a dyno next week - it runs very, very well.

And the front sprocket is dropped one tooth - and it's very, very lively at the moment.

Best thing to start with is a to get the Woolich Racing stuff, get rid of the emissions crap (carbon canister, KLEEN, exhaust valve).
And get a reputable tuner to work on the fuelling on a dyno, the autotune is a quick way to cut corners, but it still needs an experienced hand after the autotune has worked its magic.

Then take it from there, I wouldn't open the motor, very little gains for a lot of money on an already stressed engine.
michael4012 and Enrique Leib like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Do the euro spec bikes have the neutered throttle maps? Good starting points I’m looking to do a flash now (probably with SBU) while pulling out the charcoal stuff, flapper, and pair system while wrapping the airbox. then eventually auto tune, exhaust, and filter. Stock motor for now. Any basics I’m missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-31-2019, 09:53 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventeenRR View Post
Do the euro spec bikes have the neutered throttle maps? Good starting points I’m looking to do a flash now (probably with SBU) while pulling out the charcoal stuff, flapper, and pair system while wrapping the airbox. then eventually auto tune, exhaust, and filter. Stock motor for now. Any basics I’m missing?
the Euro maps are supposed to be derestricted as far as the lost 20 or so HP that USA bikes could have. it might only be 15 but since I don't own both bikes in stock form and a Dyno I can only go off what others say. Euro I believe still has the top speed limit and a fairly low rev limit which can safely be raised a bit without worrying unless you just like to bounce it off the limiter on a regular basis. If your trying to dump weight, past the cat delete and emissions crap a low mount exhaust so you can get rid of the hanger, titanium bolts, like everywhere and carbon fiber fairings are about as much as you can do if you still street ride. If you only do track the race ECU and harness and generator will lose some weight and since lights are not needed with race stuff that is more weight, BST carbon wheels are a bit lighter as well. a lithium battery, remove the damn servo under the seat etc....race seat, the abs can be removed and a fuse pulled or a dongle added to not throw a code and have it work without it, rear reservoir removal although I have never done that so have no clue what it involves, but yeah there is a straight euro to USA map port with no other mods which is a good place to start.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 09:55 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Here are my opinions..

The bike needs an ECU flash just for the ETV remapping, just to be rideable. (UK may be different).
Delete the intake flapper and servo, charcoal can, exhaust valve, cat.
Add the ABS dongle if you want to turn the ABS off.
Get a custom dyno tune and/or Autotune.
-1 front sprocket.
520 chain kit.

The Marchesini wheels are pretty heavy, so huge gains can be made by going carbon or magnesium.

I did all of the above plus I went with the kit cams, and head gasket. Still no midrange, but its a rocket over 10k.

Next mods include:
Rear wheel quickchange kit
AIM dash
Marchesini Magnesium wheels

18 Ninja 400R
17 ZX10RR
16 S1000R
14 BMW S1000RR
1996 ZX7R

CaliTrackDays A group Marshall
post #6 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 07:59 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Simply replace the can and the fender and good to go, along with Twist o'Wrist ii, which you'll will have to read a few hundred times WHILE riding everyday to sort it out as you go.

fyi, if you can not ride a tricky loop EVERYDAY, then do your above show bike trick; or Starbucks trick; or whatever scam dreamed.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
LoL scout! good to see you back around with your twist of the wrist comments.. =P What about oil changes?
michael4012 likes this.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~-1 +2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #8 of 16 Old 08-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

ECU flash gives better performance.
Cheat by changing front sprocket --- makes it feel like better performance, with out actually changing the engine ro electronics.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Remember, animate you make it go faster, also look at getting it to stop quicker - race break pads (and that a whole discussion and opinion section) and upgraded MC are probably a good idea
post #10 of 16 Old 08-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Not too mention suspension upgrades to keep the black stuff on the ground better - but we really are getting into track /race stuff now. How far do you want to take this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in