Gen 5: 2016- 2016 ZX10r shifting issues - Page 6 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 60 Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
With aftermarket rearsets on my bike, I had to adjust my voltages on my QS - but not sure if you can even do that on other systems (I ended up buying a kit harness/ECU just for this problem). I haven't noticed the issue on my street bike, but I've only tracked it once. Race bike gave me problems for awhile, ended up chewing through a transmission, and rebuilt my band-aid transmission this winter.

Then changed rearsets and had to go adjusting everything again, bike has been working fine since then, but had to do a monitoring session to see where it was at and then tweaked it a bit from there while at the track. Outside of having issues or things not working, however, I have no idea how you could tell that your settings were "off" (which is what Kawasaki blamed my first transmission - with the stock ECU in there - on, but everything worked fine as far as I could tell.....).

Pretty much planning on transmission builds being a minimum of an annual thing for me, but after one bad one, I'm a bit paranoid now - they're not hard to rebuild, so it's worth it for me.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

my bike a Gen 5 has aftermarket rear sets, a woolich tune and woolich QS, the issue never occurs on the track as I am usually shifting each gear above 10k

I've had my transmission rebuilt and clutch pack replaced.

issue only occurs on WOT between 5000 - 6500rpm only

Down shift blip is never a problem.

The issue is yawn!

Kawasaki have no idea what the cause is
post #53 of 60 Old 04-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I too have the QS / TC issue here as described with being WOT over 7K RPMs, and mostly anytime when not on the center of the tire when exiting corners. I have a 2017 10RR with woolich tune.

Over many trackdays, working with the OEM shifter, and later with a full Woolich race package and QS sensor, I have been unsuccessful in making any real improvement that gives me consistent shifting. Changing the kill times, pressure in vast directions and everything in between only change the behavior but never got rid of it.

Talking with several racers in MA and in the club circuit, here's what I have come to understand:
- Apparently Kawi doesn't allow both TC and QS to work together if turning the bike
- With TC enabled at any level, and even being OFF - the QS will not engage if the rear is spinning and off-center of tire. (I've confirmed both cases)
- This shifting issue will not go away unless you short-shift or "breath" off the throttle before shifting. (I can confirm this does help shift 9/10 times when I am more like 1/10 with WOT)
- Race Kit ECU allows you to tune this out, and have both TC and QS working with no issues.

This is rather frustrating as this ability was working on my Gen 4 - flawlessly! Super frustrated with the amount of time and money I have thrown at the new bike only to still be struggling every trackday or race with proper shifting that doesn't throw me out of the saddle.

Maybe @ZX10RArcher can chime in here with some good news. But I'm at a loss :/

2017 10RR
RIP - 2013 10R
RedSpade Racing
WERA 404 Novice

Last edited by MrSpade; 04-18-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 60 Old 04-22-2019, 12:01 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpade View Post
I too have the QS / TC issue here as described with being WOT over 7K RPMs, and mostly anytime when not on the center of the tire when exiting corners. I have a 2017 10RR with woolich tune.

Over many trackdays, working with the OEM shifter, and later with a full Woolich race package and QS sensor, I have been unsuccessful in making any real improvement that gives me consistent shifting. Changing the kill times, pressure in vast directions and everything in between only change the behavior but never got rid of it.

Talking with several racers in MA and in the club circuit, here's what I have come to understand:
- Apparently Kawi doesn't allow both TC and QS to work together if turning the bike
- With TC enabled at any level, and even being OFF - the QS will not engage if the rear is spinning and off-center of tire. (I've confirmed both cases)
- This shifting issue will not go away unless you short-shift or "breath" off the throttle before shifting. (I can confirm this does help shift 9/10 times when I am more like 1/10 with WOT)
- Race Kit ECU allows you to tune this out, and have both TC and QS working with no issues.

This is rather frustrating as this ability was working on my Gen 4 - flawlessly! Super frustrated with the amount of time and money I have thrown at the new bike only to still be struggling every trackday or race with proper shifting that doesn't throw me out of the saddle.

Good info, but I too have a woolich tune and woolich QS installed and have no problems shifting over 7k on WOT its only between 4500 - 6500. Having said that, maybe for me that is where the TC is cutting in and not allowing the QS.

I've been at the track at least 10 times and never once had an issue shifting as I am always hitting the QS above 10,000rpm at the circuit...

I do think you are on to something though with the TC causing an issue and conflicting, I always suspected the Kawasaki ECU as the culprit.
post #55 of 60 Old 04-22-2019, 06:59 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpade View Post

I just had my first race weekend on my gen 5 and this is spot on! I have never had an issue with QS until this weekend and it hurt me dearly. When leaned over on bike trying to shift the shift lever was locked. Like you said if I breathed the throttle just a little I could get a shift in. However, chasing bikes coming off of corner and having to breathe the throttle would make me lose 50-100 ft or so. It only was an issue when bike was leaned over. TC was on 1.

If anyone knows a fix to this I'm all ears and wallet open. This NEEDS to be fixed! I am running aftermarket rearsets (Vortex GP) with a Schnitz flash. If I don't get a fix I will have to change gearing to allow bike to shift later off corner...

Please help!
post #56 of 60 Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
I just had my first race weekend on my gen 5 and this is spot on! I have never had an issue with QS until this weekend and it hurt me dearly. When leaned over on bike trying to shift the shift lever was locked. Like you said if I breathed the throttle just a little I could get a shift in. However, chasing bikes coming off of corner and having to breathe the throttle would make me lose 50-100 ft or so. It only was an issue when bike was leaned over. TC was on 1.

If anyone knows a fix to this I'm all ears and wallet open. This NEEDS to be fixed! I am running aftermarket rearsets (Vortex GP) with a Schnitz flash. If I don't get a fix I will have to change gearing to allow bike to shift later off corner...

Please help!
Is your bike sprocketed? Some guys at the track here have an improvement with a 16-41 setup
post #57 of 60 Old 04-23-2019, 07:05 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_ocean View Post
Is your bike sprocketed? Some guys at the track here have an improvement with a 16-41 setup
That's the exact setup I am running (-1,+2).

I have done a little more research and learned this is a common issue on this bike. The fact that the temps were below 50 and wet track conditions certainly didn't help. Hopefully with a dry and warmer track I will notice this issue less. Smoother throttle inputs should help as well..

Or I'll just man up and turn TC off...
post #58 of 60 Old 04-29-2019, 01:50 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
That's the exact setup I am running (-1,+2).

I have done a little more research and learned this is a common issue on this bike. The fact that the temps were below 50 and wet track conditions certainly didn't help. Hopefully with a dry and warmer track I will notice this issue less. Smoother throttle inputs should help as well..

Or I'll just man up and turn TC off...
I ride the bike with the TC off most of the time, preferring the grunt and rely on my wrist for traction control. The only respite I see as regards the shifting is to slightly decel the throttle at high rpm shifts by a degree or so. That makes the shifts smooth.
post #59 of 60 Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_ocean View Post
I ride the bike with the TC off most of the time, preferring the grunt and rely on my wrist for traction control. The only respite I see as regards the shifting is to slightly decel the throttle at high rpm shifts by a degree or so. That makes the shifts smooth.
Are you racing? This does not help me..

I have found that getting the Kit ECU and harness will be my only fix. Not many if any are racing on stock ECU and harness.. I will see how bike is in better track conditions before I throw more money at it. I can ride around issue now that I'm aware of it but... a wise man once told me, the best racers don't ride around issues, they fix them!
Neonmarine likes this.
post #60 of 60 Old 05-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Are you racing? This does not help me..

I have found that getting the Kit ECU and harness will be my only fix. Not many if any are racing on stock ECU and harness.. I will see how bike is in better track conditions before I throw more money at it. I can ride around issue now that I'm aware of it but... a wise man once told me, the best racers don't ride around issues, they fix them!
I don't race. Track days only. If you're racing, the race ECU would be the right option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in