182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 266 Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmarine View Post
So, I got my first ride on the new setup out of the way! Very pleased overall with the bike, it's a complete package now. My riding...could use some work. I was stiff and nervous everywhere and wasn't until the middle of the second day that I got into a little bit of a groove. Since this was a severely abrasive track, I used a cheap (new) SCX Pirelli rear that I picked up for about $100 less than they go for.

Had rear grip issues both days but was able to get a baseline assessment of the bike and the suspension/electronic settings. Looking at the data, I was spinning immediately after opening the throttle, even as low as 2% TPS. There were many factors to that, tire compound choice, aggressive gearing (16/42) and the poor condition of the tarmac. I've never worn out the middle of tire at the same rate as the edge, but that's what happened. This motor is super strong, yet very smooth. The ETV maps that KWS loaded from their 2 years racing experience with the ZX10 were money!

I ordered a set of rear sprockets to bring the gearing back down to earth a bit. 39 and 41 rear to match the 16 and 17 fronts I already have. This should help make the spin more manageable and I can focus the suspension side of things.

Up next is Roabling Road Raceway on the 17th of May. Hopefully it stays dry so I can get more data and continue to refine the settings.

That's a great photo Neo luv it
theatiss and wheelz96 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 266 Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up next is Roabling Road Raceway on the 17th of May. Hopefully it stays dry so I can get more data and continue to refine the settings.

[IMG
https://i.imgur.com/I9yUolk.jpg[/IMG]
How about May 19th? You going to grid up?
post #253 of 266 Old 05-07-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
How about May 19th? You going to grid up?
We'll see. It's possible but I'd need to be pretty satisfied with my pace and setup on Friday. If it was the Saturday, the chances are pretty good, but that day in between kills me. FMRRA will be there on the 22-23 of June and a Florida buddy of mine wants me to come out and race then.

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"Thereís a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 266 Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
No better time than the present! If the day in between bothers you and need something to do...

We will need help for pit stops! We lost a guy who was going to help with pitting. We need a fuel guy, fire extinguisher guy, and wheel change team. We currently have one or two guys that volunteered plus the three of us who are racing. I will buy you lunch and give you access to all the cold beer we have!
post #255 of 266 Old 05-08-2019, 05:23 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
No better time than the present! If the day in between bothers you and need something to do...

We will need help for pit stops! We lost a guy who was going to help with pitting. We need a fuel guy, fire extinguisher guy, and wheel change team. We currently have one or two guys that volunteered plus the three of us who are racing. I will buy you lunch and give you access to all the cold beer we have!
I may ride down Sunday on my Gen 1 to check everything out as I want to get into track days/racing with a bike. I can hold the hell out of a Fire Extinguisher. I am always down to help and learn. Especially since you guys seem experienced from the comments you guys post.

OP I love the thread, hopefully I can grab a Gen 5 one day. It sounds like yours is an animal!

Roebling is a blast in a car, I usually hit 145 braking into T1. You guys have to be 175+ lol. What is a normal lap time there on a bike? In a car I was in the 22-23 range.
post #256 of 266 Old 05-08-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovate803 View Post
I may ride down Sunday on my Gen 1 to check everything out as I want to get into track days/racing with a bike. I can hold the hell out of a Fire Extinguisher. I am always down to help and learn. Especially since you guys seem experienced from the comments you guys post.

OP I love the thread, hopefully I can grab a Gen 5 one day. It sounds like yours is an animal!

Roebling is a blast in a car, I usually hit 145 braking into T1. You guys have to be 175+ lol. What is a normal lap time there on a bike? In a car I was in the 22-23 range.
Cars make their time in the corners at RRR, bikes do it from acceleration and top speed. An unlocked Gen5 ZX10R will hit 180mph if you got the balls to hold the gas until the brake markers and an average "fast" lap is about a 1:18, the stupid fast guys will drop into the 12's. I was doing 1:23s-25s two years ago on a 160hp R1. No corner confidence robbed me of a good lap time, but sub 1:20's were possible with that bike.
wheelz96 and Innovate803 like this.

"Thereís a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #257 of 266 Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:

That would be cool if you came Saturday. We could definitely use the help!

This will be my first time at Roebling but like Neo said, sub 1.20s for most racers and 1.12 for the few really fast guys. Front stretch speeds will be 175 minimum.

If you come look for a black gen 5 ZX10, Black Triumph 675R, and red and green R6. Hope to see you at a track one day with your bike!
Neonmarine and Innovate803 like this.
post #258 of 266 Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmarine View Post
Cars make their time in the corners at RRR, bikes do it from acceleration and top speed. An unlocked Gen5 ZX10R will hit 180mph if you got the balls to hold the gas until the brake markers and an average "fast" lap is about a 1:18, the stupid fast guys will drop into the 12's. I was doing 1:23s-25s two years ago on a 160hp R1. No corner confidence robbed me of a good lap time, but sub 1:20's were possible with that bike.
I got you, it makes sense with the cars. Jeez 180 is moving, my Gen 1 may hit 170 but I do not care about the speed as much as learning to lean and take corners on a bike. My Gen 1 with the mods should be around 160, as long as I make good progress throughout my track day there I am happy. Goals for track day 1 are to come home afterwords alive and everything in one piece.

Quote:
That would be cool if you came Saturday. We could definitely use the help!

This will be my first time at Roebling but like Neo said, sub 1.20s for most racers and 1.12 for the few really fast guys. Front stretch speeds will be 175 minimum.

If you come look for a black gen 5 ZX10, Black Triumph 675R, and red and green R6. Hope to see you at a track one day with your bike!
Unfortunately working 3rd shift and the ride is 2 hours after sleep I would get there a tad late on Saturday.

First time at Roebling? It is a track that is not hard to learn. The thing I would advise (granted from a cars standpoint) is that T3 is a decreasing radius corner. Go in wide and arc yourself to be track left braking for T4. You will get what I am saying when you get on track. In a car how you take T3 can make or brake T4. I am sure it is close with a bike. I mention that area because people entering T4 track right triggers me.

I will definitely look for you guys if I make it!
wheelz96 likes this.
post #259 of 266 Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
First time at Roebling? It is a track that is not hard to learn. The thing I would advise (granted from a cars standpoint) is that T3 is a decreasing radius corner. Go in wide and arc yourself to be track left braking for T4. You will get what I am saying when you get on track. In a car how you take T3 can make or brake T4. I am sure it is close with a bike.
I will say T3 is different on a bike. It's such a long, gentle radius that we can enter like normal and hold the left rubble. Then as you exit its very much outside-inside-outside, so you'll be track center when you enter T4.
wheelz96 likes this.

Last edited by Neonmarine; 05-09-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #260 of 266 Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

FYI, I've got the TSE front fork kit in my '16. I bought the bike new and had them install the kit. The extension rods are so you can get more ride height. The kit includes:
"new comp and rebound pistons, new IFP piston (separates gas
from oil), extension rods (to make the forks longer for ride height
changes), new res end cap (for making gas pressure changes and for ease
of future services), proper spring rate and buffer kit."

I really like it. I've got a TTX rear shock adjusted up and shimmed 6mm to match the higher front end. It's not quite as tall as my Daytona 675, but it turns in pretty well. TSE are great people, and they offer great on track support at all the CCS events in the midwest and Motovid.com trackdays.
Neonmarine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gen5, racebuild, superbike, wera racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in