Gen 5: 2016- 2016 Superstock Build (WERA Legal) - Page 25 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 265 Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmarine View Post
They are internally lengthened by 20mm, so the tube was raised by that about which (supposedly) puts me at stock front geometry. I want to take it to GMD Computrak to get a chassis measurement session. I don’t have the money for that at the moment...
An extension is done to increase the travel distance a fork can do. The most I've seen done is 10mm (at wsbk level) but after some testing, it was reported that it doesn't have good results so now folks just do 5mm extension. So 20mm seems pretty out of range. I would talk to Ken Hall at https://www.sbsuspension.com/ as he's in your neck of the woods or, if you're going K-tech, talk to Lenny Albin, as he's the USA K-tech rep/tuner and main suspension guy for the Fly Street Moto America team.
Neonmarine likes this.

Last edited by Lanister; 04-16-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 265 Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage

Still slow but looking good for the GRAM!!

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"There’s a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #243 of 265 Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Turn 3 Tally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 265 Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Turn 3 Tally?
The Carousel actually, I wasn't super confident most of the two days. The new SCX rear I used both days has the SC3 compound on the left and gets through all the Pirelli compounds across the tire until its on the SC0 on the right. That SC3 compound is the hardest and was super greasy when the track temps went up. After talking with my suspension guy (Fluidology aka Stephen Breckenridge), I also found out that the tarmac is super worn and has aggregate showing on the racing line. This also means more spinning and sliding.

So overall, I wasn't faster. In fact I was 1.3 seconds off my best time there (done with an SC1 btw). A little disappointed but feeling the full force of this motor after the SS build, I can promise there is so much more speed to come. I need taller gearing now for sure, wheelie was a big problem every single corner exit (using 16/42). I was sliding on the exit of Farmhouse/down the front straight and had an out of seat moment in the Bowl. Fun times!

Signed up for Roabling on the 17th...we'll see how that goes for races on the 19th.
wheelz96 likes this.

"There’s a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #245 of 265 Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
You aren't the only one sliding around! I chalked up my lack of grip to tires but after talking with Mike Fitzgerald (Tman) he said the same thing about the track and aggregate actually. The carousel specifically felt like you couldn't touch throttle until bike was near vertical!

I wouldn't sweat your times just yet as I dropped 3 seconds simply being in race conditions. Your pace will change dramatically once the green drops!

Speaking of gearing I already changed mine for Roebling and I'm going to start with a 16/39. I was on a 41t in rear but Roebling front straight looks super long and I may even need to change front sprocket back to 17 we will see. I haven't heard of the new SCX. I ran the new TD and rear got greasy after only 4 or 5 laps. I put a used Dunlop med (slick) for 2nd race and went a little quicker but still had no drive grip. Needed to change my riding style for those conditions!

Good to hear your motor build feels so strong but not good for me at Roebling lol. I haven't been there yet but I will get a full Friday practice followed by endurance race on Saturday so I should be fairly familiar with track by Sunday races. Did you sign up with N2 for Friday or with James Bach for racer practice? Excited to hear we will finally get on track together and it will be helpful to compare notes on Friday.

Fingers crossed we get a dry weekend!
Neonmarine likes this.
post #246 of 265 Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
I just paid James for a spot with his group. Should only be one group that day, not sure N2 and Podium Motorsports can double book the track.

You'll be fine with a 16/39 at RRR. I know guys who run Daytona with that setup.

Yeah man, it was a rough weekend but all in all it was good. I have to keep reminding myself that it's been 8 months and that a lot has changed. The motor, rear suspension and the electronics are all new to me. Dude, the power is insane, were there used to be a lag in the midrange has been replaced by savage acceleration. Insane...I felt more acceleration at 50% than I did at 100% before. Time for longer gearing like I said!
peterd10r and wheelz96 like this.

post #247 of 265 Old 05-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
N2 is also doing a trackday. I signed up with James as well but another friend signed up with N2 for same date. Not sure how they are going to mix us all but yea, two different groups renting track on same day.

Good to know about gearing. I'll be curious to compare bikes down the front straight with your new beast! Be gentle tho and don't mind me weaving left and right hahaha
Neonmarine likes this.
post #248 of 265 Old 05-01-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
N2 is also doing a trackday. I signed up with James as well but another friend signed up with N2 for same date. Not sure how they are going to mix us all but yea, two different groups renting track on same day.

Good to know about gearing. I'll be curious to compare bikes down the front straight with your new beast! Be gentle tho and don't mind me weaving left and right hahaha
Hahaha, F1 rules apply: No Weaving On The Brakes!!!
wheelz96 likes this.

post #249 of 265 Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
So, I got my first ride on the new setup out of the way! Very pleased overall with the bike, it's a complete package now. My riding...could use some work. I was stiff and nervous everywhere and wasn't until the middle of the second day that I got into a little bit of a groove. Since this was a severely abrasive track, I used a cheap (new) SCX Pirelli rear that I picked up for about $100 less than they go for.

Had rear grip issues both days but was able to get a baseline assessment of the bike and the suspension/electronic settings. Looking at the data, I was spinning immediately after opening the throttle, even as low as 2% TPS. There were many factors to that, tire compound choice, aggressive gearing (16/42) and the poor condition of the tarmac. I've never worn out the middle of tire at the same rate as the edge, but that's what happened. This motor is super strong, yet very smooth. The ETV maps that KWS loaded from their 2 years racing experience with the ZX10 were money!

I ordered a set of rear sprockets to bring the gearing back down to earth a bit. 39 and 41 rear to match the 16 and 17 fronts I already have. This should help make the spin more manageable and I can focus the suspension side of things.

Up next is Roabling Road Raceway on the 17th of May. Hopefully it stays dry so I can get more data and continue to refine the settings.

post #250 of 265 Old 05-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

great pic too!
Neonmarine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gen5, racebuild, superbike, wera racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in