>> 1st Gen Plug & Play Front Brake Hardware << - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-04-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question >> 1st Gen Plug & Play Front Brake Hardware <<

First, a thank you in advance for any input here. I haven't been around long, but I frequent the site to educate myself on my 2004 & I do appreciate the perspective.

Long & the short: After my CR125, I've been on street bikes since I got my motorcycle license @15 years-old. Started out on a YSR-50 which is even funnier as I'm 6'1". I've had about 15 bikes since from every manufacturer. Team Green I've had two '03 ZX-6RR's, and I'm now on my 2004 ZX-10R. I had been off bikes for a decade as, on 12.14.2005, a 77 year-old lady was driving her car the wrong way down a one-way street which I realized after being run into after rounding a blind corner on a beautifully bright sunny day. I never thought it could happen. I could drag pegs on interstate entrance/exit ramps; I could do standup balance-points for miles; I could do 200' stoppies; I could always - for 15 years at that point - out accelerate, out brake, out maneuver any accident, but then it happened. Make a choice... lowside & go under the car, or highside & go flying. I chose the latter, flew 75', landed on my helmet, and ended up with a subarachnoid brain hemorrhage (+) that left me in a coma on a respirator for a week. Anyhow, I made it out alive, and got the itch again about a year ago.

So now here I am @41. I found a lightly beat up 1st Gen for sale, negotiated it for $2800, and committed to reviving her. Honestly, I've got her in pretty good shape. Replaced all broken plastic (not painted, yet); replaced a cracked ram air tube, replaced a headlight assembly (stock had 3 broken tabs), added a slip-on (it was open at the downpipe), replaced a leaking fuel tank, added a GPR damper, replaced front pads, flushed DOT4 through the front master, Engine Ice radiator flush, synthetic oil change, replaced clutch & torn clutch cable (had barnett style double plate system that was like pulling open pitbull jaws), and added blinkers (haven't got working, yet). I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but that's the gist of it.

After all this, she felt great - surprisingly great, but the brakes went from great to garbage in two rides. I accepted the front master is tired, and I started my research here. I have now committed to replacing the front master, first, before replacing the calipers once I can save up some money. Here in lies my question as I see the sticky on this topic was written in 2008 with the following as direct swaps:

* 2006/2007 OEM ZX-14 Nissin [Front] Calipers
* 2007 OEM ZX-6R Nissin [Front] Calipers
* Late model R1 [Front] Calipers

As it is now 2018 & I'd prefer to upgrade with fresher hardware if possible, here in lies my question. Does anyone here know, unequivocally, what the up-to-date (models & model years) direct swap hardware is? I've done my due diligence with the search feature here, but I'm surprised it doesn't really work that well. I see the ZX-14 front caliper reference, but I'm not sure how late a model I can now use in 2018. I see people talking about Brembo calipers off a GSXR-1000, but I can't pin down what years. Furthermore - on Gixxers, I've seen some Nissin but then some Brembo binders on stock Gixxers in eBay so that's confusing. I've read about late model R1 front master cylinders working, but I can't pin down what years. And just like the Zukes, I've seen stock binders that weren't Brembos on eBay. Furthermore, on the Zukes & Yami units, do the MC brake switch plugs retain connectivity to our Kawi's?

I sure am hoping someone here willing to share has the answers to the above questions. Hope even more you don't mind taking the time to answer me.

Either way, thanks again!
YSR50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-04-2018, 12:41 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Phew, what a read that is! Glad to hear you don't have any lasting issues after that sort of history.

On to the topic at hand. It's been covered pretty extensively over the last decade since it started with the Gen 2 in 2006. So I'll give you the same answer that's been posted before.

NISSIN!!! Period.

You can try to reinvent the wheel if you want to, but for the time and effort, the Nissins are the easiest. You need to not worry so much about the MC since that's a completely separate piece that can be mated to the calipers you choose. The Gen 1/2 MC is not the issue, it's the crappy calipers. Rebuilt, freshened up, new fluid, new MC, still the same result - brakes are mush. So just get straight to the calipers and call it done!

The Nissins are the same for every year on the ZX-14. Same with the Concours. Same with the ZX-6R, up until the most recent models. The calipers are all the same, it's the brake pads that are specific to the model and what makes them different.

Nissin front calipers:
2006-2018 Ninja ZX-14R
2008-2018 Concours 14
2007-2012 Ninja ZX-6R
YSR50, trackaddict and 10rIan like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 21 Old 09-04-2018, 02:12 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I run Nissins set from zx6r with steel hoses , ferodo HH 2220 pads, 660 RBF . Great upgrade. BUT on the track after 5-6 laps i feel little fade . Now order 320mm oversize disc brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thank you, SKYDORK & TEROR1STA. I really appreciate the help.

Embracing the silence amid a life & land full of static...
post #5 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
SKYDORK <> I forgot to ask if I still use my pads in all of those those calipers?

post #6 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 04:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Make sure they're non ABS calipers ZZR14 have a ABS option in later years. The pads from yours will not fit any if the Nissen calipers, but good pads it would be a let down to swap calipers then throw in shite pads.

Last edited by michael4012; 09-05-2018 at 07:41 AM.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 08:51 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melampus View Post
SKYDORK <> I forgot to ask if I still use my pads in all of those those calipers?

Yeah michael4012 is correct about the pads, but wrong on the ABS. The pads need to be specific to the Nissin calipers. You can't reuse the pads from the Tokico calipers since they won't fit in the Nissins. The OEM stock pads for the Nissons on the ZX-14 are quite good. Or you can get a quality aftermarket set to use (Vesrah).

The ABS models don't have anything to do with the calipers. The calipers themselves are all the same. The ABS module is separate as are the hardlines associated with it. The calipers don't apply so it won't matter which you get and ABS is irrelevant to that.
Melampus likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #8 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
MICHAEL & SKY <> Thank you both for your input. It’s really immensely helpful to an amateur wrench like me who’s on as tight a budget as I am. It takes me just way too long to do things... let alone twice, and I have no budget to make mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
The calipers are all the same, it's the brake pads that are specific to the model and what makes them different.
SKY <> So I understand my Tokico pads won’t fit the Nissin’s, but I’m still unclear as to which pads to purchase. If I hypothetically purchased 2012 ZX-14 calipers, I would have to purchase ‘12 ZX-14 pads & they would fit my ‘04 10R? Same question applies to any of the Concours or the 6; just purchase pads for the matching model & I’m good?

post #9 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melampus View Post
SKY <> So I understand my Tokico pads won’t fit the Nissin’s, but I’m still unclear as to which pads to purchase. If I hypothetically purchased 2012 ZX-14 calipers, I would have to purchase ‘12 ZX-14 pads & they would fit my ‘04 10R? Same question applies to any of the Concours or the 6; just purchase pads for the matching model & I’m good?

OK, I'll try to explain it a little bit better.

The calipers are the same for the ZX-14, the ZX-6R, and the Concours for those years. The pads are the difference there. They are physically all the same size and will fit, it's the friction compound that is different. The Concours is a heavier touring bike, so the pads will have less friction and last longer. The ZX-6R is a lightweight, high performance machine so the pads will be higher friction point with more wear. The ZX-14 is a heavy sport model, so the pads will be decent friction with improved wear to account for more force needed.

You don't match the pads to the model of the bike like you're describing. If you get ZX-6R calipers, throw some ZX-14 pads in it. If you get ZX-14 calipers, throw some Concours pads or ZX-6 pads in it. You could get ZX-14 calipers and put the ZX-6R pads in them or some Vesrah RJL pads for a ZX-14. The pads will determine the way they feel and respond and the compound of them changes the part numbers. Since the ZX-10R is in between all of those things in terms of weight, you'll just have to pick one and try them. They all fit and will all work across the board. Doesn't matter what you choose, since they will all be way better than what you have now.

You buy the pads to match the type of caliper, not worry about whether they will fit a ZX-10R. We've already determined the calipers will bolt up to the ZX-10R, so the pads fitting are not a concern. Get the pads to patch the caliper, and then match the caliper to the bike. I had ZX-14 Nissins with OEM ZX-14 pads...top notch!
Melampus likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #10 of 21 Old 09-05-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thumbs up

SKYD <> Man, you're great. Much gratitude to you!

Alright, I had only budgeted for a used Gen-4 ZX-10R MC w/reservoir & lever, but now I'm going to put that on hold. New plan is to save up the extra money for & search out ZX-14 Nissin calipers off the latest model available. Then purchase new OEM ZX-14 pads as I've always been a fan of OEM pads on the street, and at 270#, I think my body makes up for the extra weight between the 10R & 14R.

Of course, I just though of, yet, another question. How do you feel about the ZX-14R MC, or again, the MC is inconsequential? If I were to find a whole set like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-10-11-NINJA-ZX14-ZX14R-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPERS-W-MASTER-CYLINDER-SET/263768583280?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D709c26 e5988f4300832c5e98e21bc26a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1 %26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D253827769967%26itm%3D2637685832 80&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
...is it, in your opinion, a step up over the stock Gen 1 MC; at the very least, is it considered equal in performance? One of my main concerns in the MC is acquiring one with a bleed nipple like the newer 10R's. Bleeding out all the air in my OEM First Gen is a bitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in