Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

06 ZX10R won't run without giving it gas...

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  100KNinja 
#1 ·
Finally got over the issue of getting my bike started by putting new plugs in.

Now I have another issue, the bike won't idle right. I've tried adjusting the idle with no luck. If I start her up she starts right up, idles for about 15seconds then stalls out. I can ride her, but I have to keep the throttle open at every light to keep the bike from stalling out. Any ideas? I am at a loss here, fuel pump seems to work fine, ignition system seems fine...

#5 ·
:+1: it wants gas! there are a few things in place that keep gas flowing to your engine when your not on the throttle. one of those things is having a problem. like mentioned, vacuum, tps or fuel pump if you ask me. if this were my dirtbike, it would be a dirty carb probably!

#6 ·
First place I would check is the air filter. If its particularly dirty, wash it out or replace it.

An air leak could cause this problem. Check for an exhaust leak between the headers and the cylinder head. Check and make sure the throttle body is properly seated on top of the rubber intake boots.

Do you have smog block off plates installed? Check for an air leak there.

Do you or a friend have a fuel pressure tester? If not, you can pick up a cheap one from Harbor Freight for $30. Test the fuel pressure and make sure you are getting 40 PSI.

Do not rule out the ignition system. While your plugs are new, you could still have failing ignition coils. If you rule out everything, pick up a set of used ignition coils off of fleebay for $40.

When was the last time you had a valve check? If you're at 25k miles and never had it done, that's a possible problem.

Clogged fuel injectors could cause this problem. If you rule out all of the obvious faults, rip out the fuel injectors and get them cleaned. Running a fuel system cleaner through the gas tank will not clean out a clogged fuel injector, it must be removed and properly cleaned.

#7 ·
all good advice. did you wash out the tank with fuel yet? water in the fuel causes a similar issue.

#10 ·
Agree on sounds like the bike is starving for fuel. When it cuts off, does it just die instantly, or does it sputter for a couple seconds before dying? When you turn on the bike, the pump primes and squirts enough fuel to keep the bike running for a very short time.

I'd check your fuel pump.

If you have a friend with a 10, swap pumps, you already know it's a 10 minute job. If not, but the harbor freight kit as someone already mentioned.

have you tried seafoam?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.