Gen 5: 2016- [2016] Decent replacement for oem brake pads & fluid - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Brake pad threads... the new Oil Threads for 2018.

...seriously though, LDH knows his stuff. Look at the time and experience he has invested into pad knowledge. I'm a borderline lunatic when it comes to trying/testing different brands and configurations on different bikes, and I have maybe 1/10th of the diversity he's amassed on the subject. Madness. FFS, he's taken the time to make a dedicated web page about it... not the hallmark of your typical/casual Forum Expert.

...and in my humble 1/10th, I can't find fault in anything he's saying. ;) There is a great saying I picked up from a suspension company decades ago: "The best you've ridden is the best you know". Always good to keep that in mind.
michael4012 likes this.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 01-24-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I’ve heard good things about the ebc gpfax and their other similar pad (forget what it’s called). If you’re street riding without a lot of heavy braking keep using a street pad. Track pads rack some heat to get working properly and would be a bit unpredictable. If you’re a canyon hero maybe a track pad? I dunno.

Fluid, fresh dot 4 or 5.1 is good. Flush every spring and you’ll be happy.
post #43 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 12:22 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Funny enough EBC asked if I would test their newest compound freshly made. Have sets going in both the Kyle Racing R6 project bike and my ZedX-10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebc.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	421841  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Funny enough EBC asked if I would test their newest compound freshly made. Have sets going in both the Kyle Racing R6 project bike and my ZedX-10
Interesting to hear a comparison to Vesrah SRJL-XX pads (I assume you have experience with these). I will be replacing mine soon and love my Vesrah's but would love to hear what you think.

Is the EBC a progressive pad?

Last edited by wheelz96; 04-09-2019 at 02:17 PM.
post #45 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 01:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

have used them not the GP, the other one, and they work very very nice.... I use brembo and vesrah, just a little dusty... and they wear out faster than the brembos.
post #46 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
have used them not the GP, the other one, and they work very very nice.... I use brembo and vesrah, just a little dusty... and they wear out faster than the brembos.
Are they a progressive pad? I like the Vesrah XX pad because of the fact they are more progressive which is a good thing for me as I am learning the art of trail braking at track. The hard initial bite is something I want to stay away from for now. At track the corners are in the same spot every time and I don't need a panic button brake pad but a good progressive pad that gets stronger through lever pull..

Not opposed to trying something else that is similar in feel though..
post #47 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Don't care about pad life so not what I'm asking...
post #48 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 02:50 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Are they a progressive pad? I like the Vesrah XX pad because of the fact they are more progressive which is a good thing for me as I am learning the art of trail braking at track. The hard initial bite is something I want to stay away from for now. At track the corners are in the same spot every time and I don't need a panic button brake pad but a good progressive pad that gets stronger through lever pull..

Not opposed to trying something else that is similar in feel though..

The initial bite has zero to do with trailbraking technique where you are releasing the brakes gradually as you approach the apex. There is no reason to be applying the brakes initially at any point mid-turn.
post #49 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 02:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
The initial bite has zero to do with trailbraking technique where you are releasing the brakes gradually as you approach the apex. There is no reason to be applying the brakes initially at any point mid-turn.
It does when the pad is very grabby and hard to modulate and release towards the apex. I dont like the feel of strong initial bite but a slower progressive pad is easier for me to "feel" the pad release than a pad that grabs super hard.

No where am I mentioning I apply the brakes mid corner.. Everybody likes certain things and I like pads that have less initial bite and are progressive. A pad that stops the bike immediately makes it harder for me to trail brake. I understand that I am not grabbing brakes mid corner but looking for a pad that has a better feel into the corner..
post #50 of 54 Old 04-09-2019, 02:58 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

there are 2 flavors, the one that LDH has has more initial bite....

his comment is accurate, you don't start trail braking middle of the corner, but I feel you, I also dont like hard initial bite... for other reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in