Can't Wheelie My 2014 ZX-10R For The Life Of Me - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 Old 09-04-2015, 07:20 PM
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I was launching at 2500 because Ricky was trying to teach clutch technique, and because my other issue was getting my feet up. First time with any electronics and air shifter. Air shifter solved the feet on the pegs issue. Still got to a mid 11. I went to learn basic techniques. And, yes, I was not convinced the bike would not wheelie until the end of the first day.

It was an intense, but really cool experience. More experienced guys got in the 9s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Awesome how much was that school?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2011, guhl flash and tune,k&N race spec,Graves ti. 3/4 slipon,1/5 turn insert,-1+2 sprockets,tech spec tank pads,hotbodies venom windscreen,T-rex racing fork and frame sliders, 55w hids,Ivans block off plates,Black Pro bolt kit, Speigler braided brake lines, Mikey Moto lightweight rear rotor.CRG RC2 shorty levers, Suspension Technologies reworked shock
post #13 of 45 Old 09-04-2015, 07:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What could it be other than that TC mode is set to 2 or 3. Make sure you turn it off completely. Even setting 1 will let the front come up with enough juice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 Old 09-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd View Post
Yes, check the electronic aids, the traction control and or wheelie control.

My 06 will wheelie with just power pretty easy, and I am a 225 lb old guy.

I rode a new ZX14R at Drag Racing School. With an extended swing arm and electronic wheelie control, it would not wheelie. I launched at 2500 with no wheelies, Ricky Gadsen launched a ton of times to show us launches at probably 8000 and also no wheelies. Electronics. Gotta trust it too!

Did not see more that a six in wheelie from any of nine guys in two days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Why were you launching at 2500 with a stretched swingarm? I can launch my Gen 4 SWB at 9k without T/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkd View Post
I was launching at 2500 because Ricky was trying to teach clutch technique, and because my other issue was getting my feet up. First time with any electronics and air shifter. Air shifter solved the feet on the pegs issue. Still got to a mid 11. I went to learn basic techniques. And, yes, I was not convinced the bike would not wheelie until the end of the first day.

It was an intense, but really cool experience. More experienced guys got in the 9s.
I wouldn't put to much stock or concern in what bun1t is saying he is always trying to look faster and smarter than the next guy.

Truth is even when Bun1t had a 1st Gen and is slower than his 4th Gen at the drag strip he will fail to mention the 1st Gen is only 54in long shorter than most 600cc bikes and lighter and takes much more skill to launch a 1st Gen SWB ..............there is no reason to brag what RPM you launch at on a SWB because in the end it's clutch control and your going to be pulling the clutch right back in anyway it's just a matter of a combination of both RPM and Clutch back in and out(control) at very FAST times.....but that's suppose to be a secret but I am sure Rickey explained this in his school....I think it's great you went to the school to learn thanks for sharing.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #15 of 45 Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

They're so easy on a '14 that even an old man can do it:

post #16 of 45 Old 09-05-2015, 12:08 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Wow, if you can't wheelie sitting down in 1st or 2nd gear, yet your trying to do stand up wheelies, I'm just going to go ahead and say you must be slightly retarded, or you just don't care about your bike or yourself.
ANY zx10 will wheelie almost effortlessly! I have a hard time keeping the front wheel down.
Hell, I was cruising to work today, getting on the freeway, and I accidentally did a 12 o'clock at 70mph and rode it down the freeway a bit, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #17 of 45 Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
No way... I weigh the same as you, and I cant keep the front on the ground. On way to work today and it lifted over a foot off the ground with half open throttle in 3rd at over 100mph.. and that was trying not to. I have to be really careful with the throttle.

My sprockets are -1+2, with a riflemans insert and akra and link pipe... maybe thats the difference?!

Edit - looks like me and the above enjoy our commutes lol

Gen 4, Woolich Logbox, servo/lamdba/PAIR in trash, AFR meter, Akrapovic slip-on and link pipe, Riflemans insert, dark double bubble, seat cowl, CNC Levers, R&G tank grips/sliders and bobbins, Renthal sprockets, rad protector, tail tidy, and... a titanium clutch adjuster.

Last edited by backfromthestorm; 09-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.
post #18 of 45 Old 09-05-2015, 09:19 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
I wouldn't put to much stock or concern in what bun1t is saying he is always trying to look faster and smarter than the next guy.

Truth is even when Bun1t had a 1st Gen and is slower than his 4th Gen at the drag strip he will fail to mention the 1st Gen is only 54in long shorter than most 600cc bikes and lighter and takes much more skill to launch a 1st Gen SWB ..............there is no reason to brag what RPM you launch at on a SWB because in the end it's clutch control and your going to be pulling the clutch right back in anyway it's just a matter of a combination of both RPM and Clutch back in and out(control) at very FAST times.....but that's suppose to be a secret but I am sure Rickey explained this in his school....I think it's great you went to the school to learn thanks for sharing.

bloo
Do you search my posts every day just so you can respond to every one?

I'm just saying, a stretched bike can be launched way higher than 2500.

Last edited by bun1t; 09-05-2015 at 10:18 AM.
post #19 of 45 Old 09-05-2015, 11:02 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It's an inner sense of self-control and self-preservation. There are some points to consider.

First, I sense you are new to all this. Any expert stunter can wheelie almost any bike on the planet, even touring bikes and Harleys, but it's a specific type of skill, useless for getting through a set of corners or posting a decent lap time. Good for photo-ops and a thrill, though.

I never cared to learn to wheelie a bike and hold it up, but when doing my most serious dirt riding I learned to "loft" the front wheel over obstacles and use the throttle for weight distribution and balance, which is always important on loose/uneven surfaces as well as when jumping.

Good instincts tell us the front wheel needs to be on the ground to do any good. Some might argue that we see Marquez and Rossi, et. al., with the front end held high after a race win (like spiking the ball after a touchdown in American football), so long, lurid wheelies must needs be a part of the skill set of any good road racer.

Not so. Freddie Spencer, for example, was not known for pulling these kinds of wheelies and only an ignoramus would suggest or argue that Spencer is anything less than a genius road racer. Spencer's background from the age of four was dirt track and he excelled at this sport until he transitioned into road racing, where he also obviously excelled.

Rossi and Marquez were motocrossers and learned to wheelie along the way, so we see them doing it from time to time. That little stunt doesn't help them win roadraces but it looks great to the crowd, and if they can do it comfortably, why not? Of course there is always the odd cock-up, for example, more than one chap has done this after a race and gone over backwards in front of the cameras and a whole lot of people. Alvaro Bautista (Brno 2009) is an example.

All that said I have not found the ZX-10R (mine's a Gen 4) to be easy to wheelie, nor easy to loft the front. It certainly doesn't pop the front up as my 50 HP, 200 lb. CR250R used to do. Yes, I've lofted the front a few times inadvertently, maybe a few inches. I just turned over 5000 miles and this has happened maybe a half-dozen times at most.

In my case I've developed a very good sense of throttle control and the type of "whacking open" that the throttle requires to get this bike to wheelie is so much an anathema to the type of riding I do that I cannot do it, my brain screams "Stupid" at the thought and sensation of it.

That kind of throttle usage leads to backflips and high-sides and just has no place in road racing or sport riding if one wishes to avoid crashing. Far better to learn to brake to threshold, trail-brake, and get your corner exits figured out.

All that aside, the ZX-10R was not designed to stunt or wheelie and thus is not prone to do so. It is a roadracing/sport motorcycle. The wheelbase is longish, the gearing is tallish, and Kawasaki have done us a favor in this regard, at least those of us who put the bike to its intended purpose.

You want to wheelie, get an FZ-09 or something along those lines. I hope you know what you are doing, though.

To close, I recall an instance which I learned of first-hand, from the people involved. A youngish fellow had just landed a pretty cool job as a moto-journalist at one of the big national magazines, and wanted to know how to wheelie. One of the "old hands" told him "Just put it in first gear and whack the throttle wide open."

Now this is on a Ducati 996 supersport motorcycle.

The young chap, guileless, did EXACTLY as he was told, not realizing the advice was meant to be humorously facetious.

The shiny new test bike promptly snapped over on its back. Fortunately the rider was not significantly injured but it was a very embarrassing incident all round.

So maybe your brain is trying to tell you something.

Listen to it.
post #20 of 45 Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
wheelies,why??

I did wheelies all the time as a kid...Sence i hit a speed bump and lost it over the handle bars(this was on a 82 yami 400 special)i gave up and to this day,dont feel the need to..
Incase yer to young,this is one of my 1st bikes long before all this electronic anti,spin,wheelie,traction ctrol faze..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha XS400 sp 82.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	338762  
White Fang likes this.

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in