Basic wheelie question - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 12:50 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanbag View Post
Zdawg, will keeping my tire at regular pressure make it a lot harder to wheelie or is it not a humongous difference?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
The majority of us ride with our tire pressures around 38-41psi and it works just fine for wheelies. The guys that air down for wheelies are typically stunters. You won't see/hear about many street/track guys airing down for wheelies; they just do them regardless. You can lower your pressure down to around 34 or so which is where a lot of track guys have theres set and that will help, but I would personally keep my pressures around 38-40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
Are you referring to the yut ughh or the wheelie teach?

By sprockets I'm pretty sure he is referring to a smaller front and larger rear. If you look at most stunt bikes they have massive rear sprockets. By doing so you lose top end speed but the bike accelerates faster and wheelies easier. I personally wouldn't cruise around with my air pressure too low if you feel you want it low I'd lower it practice wheelies then pump it back up before riding around.
Yeah, Cooter has it right. Putting a smaller sprocket in the front and larger in the back allows for quicker acceleration, but does take away from top end. The norm is to go -1 in the front or -1 in the front with +2 in the back. Either of those will help. Also, the rifleman 1/5 throttle insert will make a significant difference by reducing over grip.

The best thing to do to learn wheelies is to practice SLOWLY and CAREFULLY

Strictly for the GEN2's Sporting the undertail with pride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Okay so then my question would be any suggestions on some good sprockets and where to order them from? Also do I need to replace my chain and should I keep the same size any suggestions on that? Just ordered a rifleman 1/5.

post #13 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
P00hbear, I'm still new to this what exactly do you mean by the sprockets?

Your gearing... Change your tooth count... Most I have seen on here run -1 up front and +2 in the back I think.

I am un geared and the zx-10r will come up easy enough still...

Quote:
Oh and p00hbear they don't make one for my year on the link you sent :/

THey do make them... I have a set on mine in fact :)... might not be available on that site. Militant moto just search around online you will find em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Okay so then my question would be any suggestions on some good sprockets and where to order them from? Also do I need to replace my chain and should I keep the same size any suggestions on that? Just ordered a rifleman 1/5.

Vortex is always a good way to go. You can try and learn without the gearing change though. The bike will come up fast and easy without gearing none the less I promise.
post #15 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Man the whole reasons a lot of guys drop pressure in the back tired is to keep it more straight. I never drop pressure doing wheelies but when learning it will help keep you straight. When doing stand ups with a lot of pressure in the back tire it is harder to steer and just a slight weight adjustment makes a huge difference side to side. It is easier to stay straight with less pressure though.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Last edited by bgmagma10; 09-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.
post #16 of 42 Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I think this is the first time anyone has posted a thread on how to do wheelies.
post #17 of 42 Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks bg, good to know

post #18 of 42 Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Hey bun, I think you're the person ever on forum that was ever made to make that comment on someone's thread...about there already being other threads alike. Congrats!

post #19 of 42 Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

First person*

post #20 of 42 Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I've always found my sprockets on ebay, and as already mentioned, Vortex makes good ones. I wouldn't change your gearing solely for wheelies though. If you lime the power and acceleration delivery with stock gearing, leave it and learn as is; any 10r comes up easy enough without a sprocket change. I've found that -1 up front feels best to me, however, I've never tried -1/+2 on my own bikes, but that's probably the most popular setup.

Install the rifleman insert with stock gearing and see how that feels before changing anything. You'll be surprised how different it feels with that shorter throttle throw. I also recommend that if you do decide to change gearing, start off with -1 and increase from there. Take it slow because gearing changes the power delivery drastically.

Strictly for the GEN2's Sporting the undertail with pride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in