zx10 2004 need advice on ohlins shock setup - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Question zx10 2004 need advice on ohlins shock setup

Hey guys, I'm asking for suspension setup advice since I ran out if ideas.
I was running a stock setup on track an it felt just fine, however I decided to upgrade my shock to Ohlins (KA345) since it should have been better.
Before that I've changed stock 190\50 tire to 190\55 and it still felt fine, despite being slightly higher (7mm according to my calculations). I even felt I could get better lean angles and some reserve on the tire edge. Then I fit my new shock from Dan Kyle and changed the gearing to -1\+3 (16-42 now). And the problems began. First off, I couldn't get a correct sag of 25-30mm, it was only about 20mm with hydraulic preload set to full soft and the bike started to run wide on corner exit. I tried to raise the forks in clamps for 5mm and back the spring preload for 5 turns out, but it didn't help much. After numerous experiments and calculationsI wrote to Dan and he confirmed that the spring they installed (.95Nm) was incorrect for my weight (65kg without gear) and he sent me .90Nm for free. Now I changed the spring and returned forks and shock preload as they were. Still I can barely get 25mm of rear sag with stock Ohlins preload setting set to full soft. I also changed for the softer (.90) fork springs to match my weight, cut the spacers to get a correct front preload, and it still doesn't handle nearly as well as it was with the stock shock. I don't feel any problems running it on the streets, but once I go to the track it runs very wide, I have to close the gas to try to keep the line, my times dropped to +5-7 seconds of my best. I read numerous very detailed suspension guides, tried the comp\rebound settings back and forth and back to stock, actually the only thing I haven't tried yet is changing rear ride height, since the shock length is the same. I even had to buy a new bike (zx6r 2011) and after running it i'm now confident that this is the geometry problem. I read that zx10 2004 is a hard bike to setup, but I didn't think it is that hard, however, I don't want to surrender yet because I love this bike.
I know, that the best advice will be to get the bike to the suspension workshop and get the job done by pros, unfortunately there is no such opportunity within 500 miles, and probably it'll be in another country as well)
So I need your advice on what to try next - raise or lower the rear height? I can only get -5\+7mm with Ohlins length adjusters, will it be enough or should I change the dogbones? Get back to stock tire height? Back out the preload to get more rear sag? Raise the forks? Change the shock back to stock and see how it goes with current tire and gearing?
Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in