1Likes
  • 1 Post By evallarta1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-16-2017, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Question Wrong spring rate?

Hi all,

I just got a set of fork carts installed which I got 2nd hand (mupos) however I think the spring may be to stiff for my weight. I'm only around 66kg and currently have preload all the way out. I've set rebound and compression to what feels good however my forks dont seem to be using all the travel, with a zip tie after 4 days of fast paced road riding im still left with over 30mm of unused travel.

I've also roughly measured my sag, by lifting the front up (point A) and then sitting on the bike (point B) then just A-B giving me 20mm. I know there is more to this then these 2 measurements did not bother as 20mm seems very off to start with.

I just want to confirm before doing anything that I do infact have a spring to stiff for my weight? Should I opt for a lighter spring racetech calculator puts me at
0.91 kg/mm for street and 0.96 kg/mm for road racing. I have no idea what the current springs are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Point A should be where the bike settles after lifting the bike and point B would be where it settles with you on the bike.

30mm of leftover travel isn't bad. How does the bike feel?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

There is not enough info provided to give you any viable information to making a decision. I highly suggest you find a tuner at your local trackday/races to help you out. There is only so much the internet can help you with.

Also be careful with the RT spring chart recommendation, they have a tendency to spring on the stiffer side for someone.
LDH likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just be aware that compression can also affect your sag values. Do you know what spring weight is in it atm? 66kg is very light. As long as your fork oil isnt old and abused, then I'd say your springs are too heavy.

As the guys said, have a skilled tech take a look. But if this isn't an option, I'd say your first port of call will definitely be a respring. If you're 66kg and you've got 20mm of sag with preload all the way out, I'd guess you're running something along the lines of .8 to .85 springs.

Ideally you can just get faster and brake harder in which case you'll be riding to the springs anyway. The faster you get, the stiffer the springs will need to be :D

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in