What's too much weight. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-19-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What's too much weight.

I had the shop do a front and rear tire. He put 1 oz on each side of the rim in on spot on the front rim so there's a total of 2 oz there. I'm getting a bad shake and vibration at 85 90 is it because he used to many weights on the tire? I'm
Going to call later today and complain. The shake wasn't there before I brought them the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-19-2015, 12:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

tires should be rebalance for sure. I would be there to watch what he's doing. Tires can be very different I have had tire's that required no weight at all to balance them and other's that take a few oz to get correct.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yep. Re-balance needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-19-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
tires should be rebalance for sure. I would be there to watch what he's doing. Tires can be very different I have had tire's that required no weight at all to balance them and other's that take a few oz to get correct.

I called the shop they said they have a machine that does it but I'm not so sure on that. He tried selling me tire beads at first and now i think he's giving them to me for free.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-19-2015, 04:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elantrajoehasazx10r View Post
I called the shop they said they have a machine that does it but I'm not so sure on that. He tried selling me tire beads at first and now i think he's giving them to me for free.

I would not use tire beads. They should be able to balance the tire without beads. If they tell you they can't I would look for another place. I have never had to use tire beads to balance a tire. Sometimes a tire is made so badly it cannot be balanced my friend had that problem with a new dunlop Q3 its a defect from the factory. Dunlop had no problem taking it back and giving him a new tire. Your's doesn't sound that extreme they should be able to balance it with just wheel weights.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-19-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
I would not use tire beads. They should be able to balance the tire without beads. If they tell you they can't I would look for another place. I have never had to use tire beads to balance a tire. Sometimes a tire is made so badly it cannot be balanced my friend had that problem with a new dunlop Q3 its a defect from the factory. Dunlop had no problem taking it back and giving him a new tire. Your's doesn't sound that extreme they should be able to balance it with just wheel weights.

I agree they should be able to balance the tire with weights there should be no excuse as to why they can't buy I thought that going for the tire beads would be an upgrade from weights. Have you tried the tire beads before? Now I'm not sure what to do.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-19-2015, 09:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have not used them but I have never had a tire that couldnt be balanced the normal way. I did a forum search theres a couple of threads about them some had the beads turn to powder inside the wheel. The concensus was that their not very good.

Last edited by TechX; 08-19-2015 at 09:16 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

do NOT use tire beads. repeat, DO NOT use tire beads.

2oz of weight is meh as far as that goes. it's just not balanced properly. should be done by hand, not machine.
White Fang likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #9 of 16 Old 08-21-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
do NOT use tire beads. repeat, DO NOT use tire beads.

2oz of weight is meh as far as that goes. it's just not balanced properly. should be done by hand, not machine.

Yup tire beads are a no go. I just read hells razor's review on them and traditional weights is what I want. Now will it help to mention that these are the first set of tires I'm replacing on this bike they went on at 4,3xx miles.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-21-2015, 02:49 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

First off, what type and brand of tire? Some tires have known issues. Some are more prone to shake.

Beads are ridiculous, NEVER use any kind of product that goes inside the tire to balance or seal it.

That wheel needs to be rebalanced correctly with a properly calibrated wheel balancer.

This happens sometimes. Next time try a different shop and ask how they balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in