Used Ohlins Shock advice. '10 10r - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Used Ohlins Shock advice. '10 10r

Recently bought a used TTX KA788 for the 10. It has a 100nmm spring on it and has about 9 track days of use.

I emailed Dan Kyle and he suggest I go with a .95nmm spring and get it serviced/freshened up.

Just wondering what everyone else opinions are? Do I really need to get a softer spring? Im fairly sure im going to get it serviced just because of the amount of use on it but am wondering if i could wait to get the spring changed until some time later (possibly winter here in MI).

Needed info:
Weight: 170 nekkid
Height: 6'
Gear: Full regalia on dedicated "ride days". Jacket, helmet, boots, gloves, jeans on commutes.
Riding: 2-3 track days a year. Maybe 100 miles of commuting a week. About 300 miles of "hard" back country riding a week.

Current suspension is stock with factory settings. Front is uber stiff but will not be changing that out until winter (Racetech springs).

Cheers and thanks Gurus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a 105nm on my track bike and love it

weight 165. I do prefer stiffer springs with less compression damping.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I run the 90n/mm on my gen3. This was recommended by Ohlins for street, said for me go to 95n/mm for track. Im 175 with gear.

I run racetech .95kg/mm springs on the front.

2016 GSX-S1000
08 10r Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The .95 spring is my favorite and I am same size as you. It depends on if you really want to spend the money for service and spring. 9 track days is not a ton of time on a rear shock if that is all that it has really been ridden. I would say ride it first and see how it feels to you. And with that said that shock works good with the stock front end but if you want to upgrade the front go with the Ohlins 25mm cartridge kit not the 30 and spare yourself of the racetech. Just my opinion. What year 10 are you on?

Speed is nothing unless you know what to do with it.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2013, 07:01 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You want to get the shock freshened about once/year if you are tracking the bike. Wait until then and put some laps on the bike. If you feel that it's riding too hard/high, then when you send the shock in to get refreshed, get the softer spring.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrgn04zx10 View Post
The .95 spring is my favorite and I am same size as you. It depends on if you really want to spend the money for service and spring. 9 track days is not a ton of time on a rear shock if that is all that it has really been ridden. I would say ride it first and see how it feels to you. And with that said that shock works good with the stock front end but if you want to upgrade the front go with the Ohlins 25mm cartridge kit not the 30 and spare yourself of the racetech. Just my opinion. What year 10 are you on?
Thanks for the reply. I think I might throw it in as is and look at getting it serviced/changed in the winter. I have a trackday at Gingerman on August 4th so want it to be on there by then.

From what i have read the servicing is for optimum performance and I dont think I will notice a huge difference with my current skill level from the shock having some track days on it.

As long as it will perform better then the stock shock "out of the box" so to speak thats what im looking for.

I'm not opposed to getting it serviced and/or resprung but ive dropped a lot of coin over the past month on the bike...tires, track time, the shock itself, exhaust etc.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in