>> Tire Whisperers? << - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-12-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question >> Tire Whisperers? <<

So I've been watching a whole lot of Dave Moss, and I wonder if we have any guys here like that whereas you can recognize tire pressure issues, rebound issues, preload issues, compression issues, spring rate issues, etc... just from reading a tire.

Anyone see anything of note in this pattern? I mean I see the rear edge of the sipes are getting 45's on them; I see the front edges are getting slightly raised lips, i see the "outgoing tide" pattern; but I'm curious to hear someone dissect the wear.

Anyone have any thoughts on this tire?

Embracing the silence amid a life & land full of static...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-12-2018, 03:13 AM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
What pressures were you running hot off the warmer?

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"Thereís a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #3 of 14 Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Your tire wear looks fine, no major suspension issues, maybe just a hair of a raised edge on the leading half of the tread. Usually if it’s on the leading edge rebound is too slow. 1/4-1/2 turn will eliminate that. That wear on the rear half of the tread is pretty heavy though. What's your PSI coming off the track? You could probably drop a PSI, I'll wait to hear what your pressure is though.

When in doubt... send it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-13-2018, 07:31 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

And for Me rebound is to much .
post #5 of 14 Old 10-13-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question

Thank you, gentleman.

At the risk of embarrassment, it was my first track day. I had no idea what to expect, and I unfortunately have no budget for warmers. I couldn't even rent a Home Depot trailer to drag her there; I rode her 105 miles South from my house to Homestead-Miami Speedway with 20 pounds of bottled water, a sandwich, and some painter's tape on my back. There was a deal going on for the Novice Group whereas the $305 leathers & boot rental would be refunded as long you didn't wreck them. When I learned I could get seven 20 minute sessions on a racetrack for $205; I was like white on rice! I wasn't able to bring any tools, air pressure gauge/compressor, fuel tanks (was stuck with $8.50 race fuel), etc. Yes, I was clueless as to what I was walking into, but I had to go. Honestly, I can't stop thinking about. You know when you get off a boat, and you still feel the sway of the ocean in your equilibrium? I had this parallel audio thing whereas I heard, in my head, the "vroooom, vroooom, vroooom" of bike exhausts ripping by the paddocks. It went on all night long until I passed out. When I woke up the next day it was gone... and I missed it. It was so intense on my ride home back from the track that I kept looking over my shoulder for bikes. Palm Beach International Raceway is only 30 miles North of my house, and I'm chomping at the bit to get there tomorrow. This Sunday they are offering the same refund on the suit/boots, but my finances are an issue. $410 in two weeks for R&R may not be doable. It's f***ing killing me... consuming me.. frustrating the hell outta me. But I digress.

Ultimately, I do not know track pressures. I've always inflated my bike's to 35psi cold, and that's all I can offer as a reply. These were brand new Pirelli Diablo Rosso II with MAYBE 200 miles before that track day last Sunday.

Stock shock spring preload was loaded pretty heavily as I'm 270# wet. I'm sure I'm over 300# loaded, but with just clothes & shoes it registered 3/4" sag. I figure loaded with gear it brought me to 1". Rebound - if I screwed it all the way in - it would back out 3.5 rotations which as I discussed here: https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f128/ge...ws-351323.html isn't kosher, but irrespective of that, I screwed it all the way in & the opened it back out 1.75 rotations. So you guys are suggesting a bit more. Is that .25/.5 in or out?

post #6 of 14 Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Dude...I really want you to pit with me (or anyone with experience frankly) next time out. How close are you to Jennings GP? Itís off I75 North about 12miles south of the FL/GA line.

"Thereís a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #7 of 14 Old 10-13-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
AARON <>
Miami-Homestead Speedway.............. 105 miles South
Palm Beach International Raceway...... 30 Miles North
Sebring International Raceway........... 111 miles North
Jennings GP..................................... 362 miles North
Neonmarine likes this.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
So I take it you will be hard pressed to make it up to Jennings? Iím in ATL...everything else is a big trip, however they arenít out of the question this winter.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melampus View Post
Thank you, gentleman.

Is that .25/.5 in or out?

Go more .5 out .

Change the shock ! Stock shock is a crap like stock brake calipers .

Last edited by teror1sta; 10-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-14-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
AARON <> "Hard-pressed", yes, but as all we adrenaline junkies seem to be, I'm a pretty intense kinda guy. As such, "out of the question" isn't often in my vernacular. I'm so in... I'm in hook, line, and sinker. I just gotta clean up my backyard a bit... if you know what I mean. As alluded to, in jest, in probably too many of my prior posts, my finances aren't exactly in order due to a long bout of underemployment after a surgery that took me out of my career. I work in sort of a very specified niche of my industry, and reentry has proven incredibly difficult. Honestly, after a long fight, I'm at the point of capitulation. I'm just tired of chasing my agents for work, and the market being constantly dry. Last Sunday's track day was a major internal catalyst for me. It motivated me to commit to changing markets; accept working for a couple dimes on the dollar; and hope for the best because steadily making two dimes on the dollar, hopefully, will be better than the sporadic high dollar jobs I've been scraping by on over the last 2.5 years. I've already put my feelers out in my prior general industry since last Sunday @HMS, and it looks like there are some parties that might be interested in me. I Skype interviewed with one, and got a second interview with HR via telephone that went well. Word is they will be moving quickly, and making a decision by Monday. I met with another party yesterday which is, in fact, in my niche, and it went well, as well. They are rolling over the numbers, and we'll see what they come back with. Another lead I was working on was scheduled to reach out to me yesterday, and since, has not. The last, I have been in regular contact with two of their members since our paths crossed on Thursday, and we are meeting for dinner this evening @20:00 so I'm hopeful by tomorrow or Tuesday I'll have good news.

Once, I get back on my feet, I'm very interested in heading up to Jennings GP. I'm honored by & appreciative of your offer, and I'm working on finding a way to take you up on it ASAP. This should give me a little time to work off some of this gut, as well... sh!t's gettin in the way.

TEROR1 <> Ok, thank you... so I am going to back the screw out 1/2 a turn counterclockwise, and see what I feel. Hopefully, I'll get a trackday soon to see how the tire reacts.

As for the shock, you were in my front brake thread so you know my ZX-14R Nissins cost me $179 for the MC/reservoir/calipers/hoses on eBay; OEM ZX-6R pads were another $143 new; and fluid was another $10. As emasculating as this may be to admit, that took me quite awhile to amass. If I had the coin for a new shock, I'd get one.
Neonmarine and wheelz96 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in