Tire Changer: Who's using this one? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Tire Changer: Who's using this one?

I've done a few searches, and see people are using expensive or home-made tire changers.

Is anyone using this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Porta...92b728&vxp=mtr

I'm curious because someone posted that they were and it looks like the center post might be too large for the axle hole on a zx10 to fit into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Changes tires on motorcycles with a center hole larger than 1-5/8" or a removable center hub
that should answer that. that style of changer works well, the first few times you'll hate it but once you get used to it, pretty easy.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
that should answer that. that style of changer works well, the first few times you'll hate it but once you get used to it, pretty easy.
do you mean its too large for a zx10 axel? ive not changed my tires yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

I have this model, but it's also the same one Harbor Freight used to sell for $100. THE BAR WILL SCRATCH YOUR WHEELS. I coated the ends of my bar with plasti-dip and that seemed to help. That one looks painted in the pics, but i'd be really careful. Rim savers work really well to keep the spoons from scratching when you need to pry the tire off.

I've changed 4 sets with it now, and it requires a lot of grunting and pushing/pulling. Lube is your friend.

I found mine on Craigslist for $50 local, for the money I would invest in one of these for a bit more. http://www.nomar-secure.com/category_s/1.html

No-mar also sells just their bar I'm probably headed this route to avoid adding more scratches
post #5 of 12 Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal11 View Post
I have this model, but it's also the same one Harbor Freight used to sell for $100. THE BAR WILL SCRATCH YOUR WHEELS. I coated the ends of my bar with plasti-dip and that seemed to help. That one looks painted in the pics, but i'd be really careful. Rim savers work really well to keep the spoons from scratching when you need to pry the tire off.

I've changed 4 sets with it now, and it requires a lot of grunting and pushing/pulling. Lube is your friend.

I found mine on Craigslist for $50 local, for the money I would invest in one of these for a bit more. http://www.nomar-secure.com/category_s/1.html

No-mar also sells just their bar I'm probably headed this route to avoid adding more scratches
I did my first tire change on the homemade tire changer posted here, and using a normar bar.
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthre...t=tire+changer

It was a bear, since my station was up high and a little cramped but it worked finally (after resorting to spoons).

I bought the harbor freight looking tire changer in the original post, which I'll use to change the front tire.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

The ebay unit looks just like the Harbar Freight one.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I use two tire irons and the items below. I wrap the bead breaker with a soft towel just in case it makes contact with the rim. Dishwashing soap helps lube the beads on mount/dismount. With enough lube & practice, you can get the tires on/off with minimal use of the tire irons. I love my rims and I won't let anyone else touch them. Harbor Freight also sells a cheap balancer. Primer/spray a bunch of wheel weights white/black beforehand that way they blend in nicely with your wheels.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF41491.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	166270  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpw11 View Post
I've done a few searches, and see people are using expensive or home-made tire changers.

Is anyone using this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Porta...92b728&vxp=mtr

I'm curious because someone posted that they were and it looks like the center post might be too large for the axle hole on a zx10 to fit into.
Use that changer but tape up the clamps so they do not scratch the rims. Order a NoMarr bar and balancer and you are good to go. Mount the tire changer to a solid surface or it is a hassle to use.

I mounted mine to two 2x6's. crossed under them so I can stand on them while using the tire machine but then store it later. It can be a hassle sometimes but works well.

Speedy
post #9 of 12 Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Servo's Eliminatus ;)

Posting Frequency

I have the Harbor Freight tire change.
I then purchased the "Mojo Lever", it has the Delrin plastic demounter and bead seated.
Best money spent. Use some dish soap and water and goes on and off like butta.
I also bought the Delrin clips that mount to the tire change itself.
Check out Mojo lever, that shit works. Bar none.

If your hair is short and nappy...
Afrosheen will make you happy.
Anyone remember that one from the 1970's ?
post #10 of 12 Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy14 View Post
Use that changer but tape up the clamps so they do not scratch the rims. Order a NoMarr bar and balancer and you are good to go. Mount the tire changer to a solid surface or it is a hassle to use.

I mounted mine to two 2x6's. crossed under them so I can stand on them while using the tire machine but then store it later. It can be a hassle sometimes but works well.

Speedy
Yea i ended up getting that ebay (same as old harbor freight one) tire changer, one of those ebay balancers, the no-mar bar, and a no-mar 'yellow thing' (thats the actual name). I mounted the tire changer to a pallet so it's pretty stable.

The tire changer worked well but there are 3 things I noticed. First, like you said, you have to put something on the clamps or your rim will get scratched. I used t-shirts cause I didn't have anything else at the time; the shirts ripped a little and ended up scratching the rim a bit. I'll use tape or something else next time.
Second, you have to clamp down the wheel really hard or it will rotate and make the job impossible.
Third, the tire changer sits up kinda high so when you're using your body leverage to put the tire on, the bar is sitting above your stomach or on your chest almost (instead of your waist/stomach). Makes using leverage a little harder, but not impossible.

Overall, changing the tires were really hard for me...but I think if you use good technique it's not that hard at all. My second tire change was a lot easier than the first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in