These continentals too good to be true? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 08-31-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

These continentals too good to be true?

I estimate I ride 8k miles a year, and from what I read this bike eats tires quick.
Would this be a reasonable tire? Assuming I don't hit the track. But for commuting and some aggressive twisty riding?

Not trying to be a cheap @$$, especially with the only thing between my bike and the road, but if I don't need super corsa's why buy them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Now that I try the link... it's not working.

Their the continental "motion" for like $160 per set.
Normally the price would scare me, but their from a reputable brand and seem to have decent reviews. Just not for a track born supersport
post #3 of 34 Old 08-31-2015, 11:16 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Tires are something I would never cheap out on. You only have two of them touching the ground. Just my opinion though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanAgain View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007N6...WLL&ref=plSrch

I estimate I ride 8k miles a year, and from what I read this bike eats tires quick.
Would this be a reasonable tire? Assuming I don't hit the track. But for commuting and some aggressive twisty riding?

Not trying to be a cheap @$$, especially with the only thing between my bike and the road, but if I don't need super corsa's why buy them?
This is Continental's "entry level" tire.

Is the ZX-10R an "entry level" motorcycle?

Ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?"

Do not use this tire on the ZX-10R.

Maybe the RoadAttack 2.

Problem is the more aggessive you get on the bike the more you need the traction of the Dunlop Q3 or Supercorsa or the like.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

What would be a reasonable option?

I don't want a death trap but I also don't want to buy 2 sets of tires a year.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hellsrazor ran those. I think a higher mileage tire that you sacrifice traction with. I think he was happy with them as a commuter tire but on the performance side they are a bit lacking. Just the trade off your going to get when you search for more miles. The S20 and Q3's have both been as versatile as I personally have seen as far as doing both well.

post #7 of 34 Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
The s20 Evo is a good choice as far a compromise. Good mileage and good grip.i had those on my triumph. I'm going to get those again I think when the stock tires are gone. Or q3's I had q2's and the were great too. Good luck
post #8 of 34 Old 09-01-2015, 09:15 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
If you want mileage, you give up traction. If you want traction, you give up mileage. Plain and simple. You have two tires on the bike with a contact patch that touches the road the size of a credit card on the front and back tire. Two credit card sized sections of rubber are all that is connecting your body and a 180Hp and 430 pound machine to the road. In corners, and while braking.

Replacement bodywork for this bike is about $1500. One ride on a Life Flight helicopter can be about $30,000. Two sets of really good sticky tires is about $500/year. Do the math yourself.

Those tires on a ZX-10 shouldn't even be considered. If you want a cruiser, go get a Harley. If you want to ride a ZX-10, buy the stickiest tires you can, change them at 3,500 miles when they're worn to the wear bars, and let the bike put a small on your face when riding instead of shit in your pants when it slides out from under you.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 34 Old 09-01-2015, 09:38 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Try the Pirelli Angel's my friend has run them and love's them and their a good price. He got more than 8 thousand miles out of a set and they work really good in the twisties. Not a full on sport tire but damn close for the buck.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Then you should not have purchased an open-class superbike.

There is no tire you can get that will deliver the mileage you hope for and enough traction to match the bike for the kind of money you want to spend.

Some guys run the Michelin Pilot Power 3, or the Dunlop RoadSmart II and if you are a conservative rider you might be OK with that type of setup. Those tires give adequate traction midcorner but then almost any tire will do that.

Where you run into problems is the extremely high levels of acceleration and deceleration this bike can generate.

I ride very smoothly most of the time and know my bike and the roads I ride pretty well. Even so I had the KTRC kick in the other day, on Low Power with the KTRC set to 1. I was cranked over quite far and dialing it up and the cylinders cut for about 0.2 of a second. That's the most aggressive level of TC, when the cylinders cut out.

Obviously there was something on the road I didn't see, perhaps a small pebble or a tiny spot of diesel, but without the KTRC things might have been more interesting.

This is with premium rubber, pretty fresh. You put something else on there you are asking for trouble.

You just have to budget the money for tires with a bike like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in