take offs - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

take offs

ok, this may be a dumb question but if get track take-offs that are still basically new can i use them on the track without warmers? I know the whole heat cycle and whatnot with race tires, so im curious if i can get them up to temp with a few slow laps if I dont have warmers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

ok so how about what tire are you talking about? then you can get a real answer.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

oops yea my bad, most likely gonna be dunlop Gp's or the 211's. i wont know for sure untill i go check out my buddies pile of tires, AMA racer with tons of fresh takeoffs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi Demun View Post
oops yea my bad, most likely gonna be dunlop Gp's or the 211's. i wont know for sure untill i go check out my buddies pile of tires, AMA racer with tons of fresh takeoffs
well, you should use warmers on GP's, it's very sketchy otherwise. on GP-A's, run an easy warm up lap, by the time you start your second lap they'll be good to go. however, i'd never run an AMA racers take offs, as they roast the tires every time they run em. maybe good for half a track day for each rear
post #5 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

understood thanks...yea some of his are pretty bad, but he has alot that were used maybe 2 laps max and brand new ones. I just cant break the bank for some good warmers right now, and im debating whether or not to just stick with street tires again or race tires
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
understood thanks...yea some of his are pretty bad, but he has alot that were used maybe 2 laps max and brand new ones. I just cant break the bank for some good warmers right now, and im debating whether or not to just stick with street tires again or race tires
uh, warmers cost 150 bucks. if you could get his new/barely used tires, then that'd be worth it, normally pull offs range 100-150 a set. if you get sets of brand new gp or gp-a, those run 500 or 350 bucks a set, for reference as to whether or not its worth it to you or not.

race tires are a night and day difference fyi, you'll literally drop 3-5 seconds a lap just from the switch, its much safer to go way faster
post #7 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
uh, warmers cost 150 bucks. if you could get his new/barely used tires, then that'd be worth it, normally pull offs range 100-150 a set. if you get sets of brand new gp or gp-a, those run 500 or 350 bucks a set, for reference as to whether or not its worth it to you or not.

race tires are a night and day difference fyi, you'll literally drop 3-5 seconds a lap just from the switch, its much safer to go way faster
yea i gotcha, I'm just kinda getting into the whole track thing now, so havent fished around too much for warmers, but alot of the ones i found new were like 300 and up. I'm also scared to overdo the street tires on the track, cuz i do get some slippage from the rear...and wow thats a huge difference indeed.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
yea i gotcha, I'm just kinda getting into the whole track thing now, so havent fished around too much for warmers, but alot of the ones i found new were like 300 and up. I'm also scared to overdo the street tires on the track, cuz i do get some slippage from the rear...and wow thats a huge difference indeed.
well, you can also find warmers used all over for half that. and a proper set of street track tires like the q2 will run you into an advanced group easily enough however for the 100% confidence inspiring no fear in your tires, go with the GP-A's or step up to the GP's, as they are phenomenal tires, otherwise they wouldn't be raced on so damn much! what rear tire are you running right now? how many miles on it? a lotta street tires get nice and slippery on the track cuz they get too hot/have wrong compounds, they dont call em slipperi's, michiloops, or crashstones for no reasons. can you tell i'm a dunlop guy? its because they run a harder carcass tire thats got insane grip even at the end of their very long lifespans
post #9 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
well, you can also find warmers used all over for half that. and a proper set of street track tires like the q2 will run you into an advanced group easily enough however for the 100% confidence inspiring no fear in your tires, go with the GP-A's or step up to the GP's, as they are phenomenal tires, otherwise they wouldn't be raced on so damn much! what rear tire are you running right now? how many miles on it? a lotta street tires get nice and slippery on the track cuz they get too hot/have wrong compounds, they dont call em slipperi's, michiloops, or crashstones for no reasons. can you tell i'm a dunlop guy? its because they run a harder carcass tire thats got insane grip even at the end of their very long lifespans
hha i understand completely you biased pig lol...i have the bridgestone s20's at the moment almost a thousand miles on them now..they did well on the track once i got the right tire pressure down.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
hha i understand completely you biased pig lol...i have the bridgestone s20's at the moment almost a thousand miles on them now..they did well on the track once i got the right tire pressure down.
s20's are decent tires, but upgrade to q2's. or, to seriously upgrade, those gp-a's/gp's are literally amazing. you're going to get freaked out a little bit first time you go out on them hot off the warmers, they want to be sideways, they literally lock you into the corner it feels amazing how much grip you'll have on the edges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in