Suspension Setup Advise Gen 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-19-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Suspension Setup Advise Gen 4

Ok guys, so I have a few questions. Im new to riding anything much more then the street or drag strip so honestly I have never had to mess with the suspension on any of my bikes. That and I used to weigh around 175 so most bikes are factory set around there. Now im closing in on the 200 mark.

Anyways. I need like a suspension setup for dummies, because I have never had to do any of this. I wanna get my bike more dialed in for my weight. Maybe get some more turn in out of it. And try to keep the rear from spinning as easily. People have said set your sag, then adjust this, then that.

So whats the best way for a rookie to start adjusting his bike to fit him better? Start where and finish where? I know how each fork has 3 adjusters. 2 top one bottom. And see a couple on the shock, but not sure which one does exactly what.

Im sure I need to get my flame suit on for asking such basic stuff, but I figure there has to be at least one nice guy on here willing to walk me threw it and teach me a little but. Any help is appreciated, keep any negative comments to yourself.

Or if you know someone in the Indy area that can do it, I would be willing to pay someone to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Hello,
First thing is to bring all the susupension settings to the factory baseline.
Then you will need a couple of your friends to help you out and set-up you "statis sag" for your wieght (better with gear on). This will allow you to add/remove the necessary amount of pre-load for your rider wieght.
Once you have that it's a matter or adjusting the compression and rebound based on riding conditions (example: smooth track with heavy braking zones then usually more compression and little slower rebount. Or, bumpy track but with fast continuouse sweepers then likely a softer setup with less compression but more rebound to keep up with the bumps and prevent the suspension travel from "packing").
Lots of good reads out there if you search around or pickup Keith Code.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
What are your settings ?
What height and weight are you ?

This would be better then telling how too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

So I'll give you a few levels to try:

1.) Don't want to spend money or time:
a.) Set Rebound on the rear shock to 1 click (or 1/2 turn...I foget it the stocker clicked or not) out from full in.
b.) Set the rear shock Compression dampening 3-5 clicks from full in
c.) Tighten down the rear pre-load several turns

2.) Don't want to spend money but have time:
a.) Do everything in option 1
b.) Insert a couple of thick washers between the frame and clevis on the upper shock mount in the rear. (Do a forum search for "shim shock", this has had several discussions over the years. It helps a LOT!)
c.) Set sag and rebound via bouncing the bike. Here is a great video how to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3flKxf41U

3.) Have a little bit of money to add:
a.) Remove your shock and send it to a company like Race-Tech for a re-spring and re-valve

4.) Have a decent amount of money to add:
a.) Buy an Ohlins, JRI, etc. shock from a suspension tuner who will set it up for you. I recommend Thermosman, who works with lot's of professional and amateur race teams - http://www.thermosman.com/

5.) Have a lot of money:
a.) Buy a fork cart kit

6.) Still have some money?
a.) Buy a new suspension link: Attack, Lee-Cycle, Dan Kyle, etc.

Optional step:
1.) Give a suspension tuner money to do any of the above for you rather than trying yourself.

Note:
I didn't say much of anything about the forks. The forks are very stiff from the factory for springs and the dampening is pretty darned good to, and might be OK enough for your weight for street use. Setting sag is important still if you can spend the time to do it, but I wouldn't worry about the front end too much.

AS FOR WHICH CLICKERS DO WHAT ON THE BIKE:
It's all in the owner's manual on which knob is which. You're looking for Preload, Rebound Dampening, and Compression Dampening. I think the stock forks are even labeled on the bike on which is which. If you don't have one, Google for a PDF of it, should be very easy to find.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s

Last edited by kman0066; 07-23-2014 at 08:14 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Dave Moss with on the throttle tv has some good basic how to vids on youtube. They will give you an idea of where to start. If you have not done this you need to put a 6 to 8 mm shim between the clevis and rear shock top mount. The Gen 4 has and understeer problem as delivered. It bascially means the bike wants to run wide on corner exits or push if you prefer that term. Adding some rear ride height helps reduce the tendency. If you want to get crazy the rear shock needs heavier oil in it to help with rebound. All this depends on how hard you want to ride it.

Last edited by TechX; 07-23-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechX View Post
Dave Moss with on the throttle tv has some good basic how to vids on youtube. They will give you an idea of where to start. If you have not done this you need to put a 6 to 8 mm shim between the clevis and rear shock top mount. The Gen 4 has and understeer problem as delivered. It bascially means the bike wants to run wide on corner exits or push if you prefer that term. Adding some rear ride height helps reduce the tendency. If you want to get crazy the rear shock needs heavier oil in it to help with rebound. All this depends on how hard you want to ride it.
+1 good point about Dave Moss and On The Throttle TV.
I totally forgot about these. They are really good reviews and "how too's".
Gotta start watching these again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in