Stock suspension - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Formerly "bms"
 
BrandonZX10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 416
Posting Frequency
  
Stock suspension

How good is the factory suspension settings on the gen 4? Ive been wanting to get my suspension dialed in for my weight but haven't came across anyone that can do it for me. It's starting to get warmer out here so I'm ready to lean her over. It was about 65 out today and we hit up some good roads but the suspension felt kinda eh. Like I couldn't trust it. Maybe it's just me feeling cautious from low sliding my old 08 cbr1000rr
BrandonZX10R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 PM
GP Star
 
Teeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Green Bay Wi
Posts: 2,823
Posting Frequency
      
Probably as good as every other bike every made, great if you are 5' 2" tall and weigh 145 lbs. (or you're Scout)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
Teeks is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old 03-10-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Formerly "bms"
 
BrandonZX10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 416
Posting Frequency
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeks View Post
Probably as good as every other bike every made, great if you are 5' 2" tall and weigh 145 lbs. (or you're Scout)
5'4 140 lbs

Last edited by BrandonZX10R; 03-10-2015 at 10:20 PM.
BrandonZX10R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 46 Old 03-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Always On Mod
 
Animal11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: LA
Posts: 1,839
Posting Frequency
      
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonZX10R View Post
5'4 140 lbs
The rear spring may be sized correctly for you then as stock.

My advice:
1) Add 6mm shims under the rear shock clevis
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/purp...ck-263321.html
2) set your sag with the help of a couple friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3flKxf41U
3) Try some baseline settings
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f128/gen...ck-120496.html
SkyDork likes this.

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
Animal11 is offline  
post #5 of 46 Old 03-11-2015, 12:08 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
At those height and weight numbers, you'll probably need to go with a lighter spring up front. Are you Asian? But seriously, the shock is the limiting factor and really undersprung for most heavier riders. You should be able to get the stock suspension to work fairly well for you unless you're running at a high level on the track.

Follow Animal's links above.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Formerly "bms"
 
BrandonZX10R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 416
Posting Frequency
  
Preciate' the info guys!
BrandonZX10R is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old 03-11-2015, 03:19 PM
WSB Rider
 
Niner1000RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE FL
Posts: 576
Posting Frequency
  
The common misunderstanding is that you can "dial in your suspension."

When you get it "dialed in" that's based on the current conditions only. Change one of a million variables and it's no longer "dialed in."

Variables include: Ambient air temp, track surface temp, track/road style, riding style, current skill level, tire pressures, condition of tires, gearing, HP, TQ, power delivery, body weight, tire compound, etc.................................

Sorry, I'm sure it's been said a 1,000 times. but hey, what's 1,001 among friends? ;) lol

Work on your set up based on what it's doing that you don't like. Not based on your weight.

If the bike isn't preventing you from doing what you want, go faster (on the track, of course) until it either does something you don't like or until it prevents you from doing something you WANT to do. Then address that item, then repeat the process.

You can set the bike up based on your sag numbers, say that means you need a 1.0 springs all around. Then you go to Barber with some incredible g-loads and now you're bottoming out the forks and need a 1.05. Well the sag numbers went out the window. Now you take the same bike and the same rider to say JGP or RRR where it's flat and no g-loads and you have WAY too much spring. Now you're running a .95... uh oh...

I crew chief for a rider who weighs 195. We have run as light as a .85 on a GSXR 1000 at RRR, and as heavy as a 1.15 at Barber (got 6th at the last AMA SBK race there last year). Same rider, same bike.

Just my $0.02.
Niner1000RR is offline  
post #8 of 46 Old 03-11-2015, 03:32 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,490
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
The common misunderstanding is that you can "dial in your suspension."

When you get it "dialed in" that's based on the current conditions only. Change one of a million variables and it's no longer "dialed in."

Variables include: Ambient air temp, track surface temp, track/road style, riding style, current skill level, tire pressures, condition of tires, gearing, HP, TQ, power delivery, body weight, tire compound, etc.................................

Sorry, I'm sure it's been said a 1,000 times. but hey, what's 1,001 among friends? ;) lol

Work on your set up based on what it's doing that you don't like. Not based on your weight.

If the bike isn't preventing you from doing what you want, go faster (on the track, of course) until it either does something you don't like or until it prevents you from doing something you WANT to do. Then address that item, then repeat the process.

You can set the bike up based on your sag numbers, say that means you need a 1.0 springs all around. Then you go to Barber with some incredible g-loads and now you're bottoming out the forks and need a 1.05. Well the sag numbers went out the window. Now you take the same bike and the same rider to say JGP or RRR where it's flat and no g-loads and you have WAY too much spring. Now you're running a .95... uh oh...

I crew chief for a rider who weighs 195. We have run as light as a .85 on a GSXR 1000 at RRR, and as heavy as a 1.15 at Barber (got 6th at the last AMA SBK race there last year). Same rider, same bike.

Just my $0.02.
While this is a very valid post, most people are looking for that "ideal setup" that meets 90% of their street riding and not just how it came from Kawi. All without dropping on dime on upgrades from the stock stuff.

You're referring mostly to track riding which will be dictated by a lot of different things, as you say. But even just the basics of setting sag based on rider weight should be step numero uno when the bike comes off the showroom floor. That's true whether you're cruising to Starbucks or railing it on the banks of Daytona.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old 03-11-2015, 03:40 PM
WSB Rider
 
Niner1000RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE FL
Posts: 576
Posting Frequency
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
While this is a very valid post, most people are looking for that "ideal setup" that meets 90% of their street riding and not just how it came from Kawi. All without dropping on dime on upgrades from the stock stuff.

You're referring mostly to track riding which will be dictated by a lot of different things, as you say. But even just the basics of setting sag based on rider weight should be step numero uno when the bike comes off the showroom floor. That's true whether you're cruising to Starbucks or railing it on the banks of Daytona.
For me, that same applies whether it's on the street or the track.

What happens if you weigh 230 lbs, you spend money on springs, etc... to set your sag, then you go for a ride and now you don't like how it feels. Especially if you've been riding it for a while nice and soft, now it feels much stiffer than it did.

Now you spent money on springs and a suspension guy to get something you don't like and now you need to go back to you "suspension guy" to have him adjust it until you get it where you like it.

What is that requires going to a softer spring? Maybe even the springs you took out? lol

Why not start by fixing the "issues" you have, then IF you need springs (lighter or heavier) you pay for them at that time?

But, to each his own! :D



We all have a way of doing things! None are right or wrong (well maybe... lol)
Niner1000RR is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old 03-11-2015, 03:42 PM
WSB Rider
 
Niner1000RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SE FL
Posts: 576
Posting Frequency
  
In full disclosure, I should add that I avoid the street with everything in my power! lol

Just in my mind, I have to work off of my experience and what has worked, or not worked. Doesn't make it right in any way!
Niner1000RR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
05 stock suspension zexjar Suspension and Tire Tech 4 05-01-2014 01:05 AM
stock suspension... I like saki The ZX-10R 1 04-08-2009 12:36 AM
04-05 Stock Suspension Settings? Jay Performance and Tech 6 07-07-2008 11:55 AM
Stock suspension on ZX10R bkkninja Performance and Tech 14 08-26-2007 10:38 PM
Stock Suspension evallarta1 Performance and Tech 1 07-23-2007 10:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome