slicks versus dots - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

slicks versus dots

Guys I need advice.. I'm taking my street tires off and what information I gathered is that I should consider either dots or slicks. Some oF the people I have talked to liked the dots more because, supposedly, of the feedback or "conversation" before the tire loses traction. Others said nah go slicks and never look back. I got two questions:

1- what the hell is this mysterious conversation? I didn't quite understand this part.

2- Being new to this aspect of trackdays (i.e., buying slicks) I was advised to experiment with takeoffs until I find a set that I liked in terms of sizes and compounds. So I searched and came across 200/60 pirelli superbike slicks or the 190/60 dunlop GP-A's or the 200/55 Dunlop Slicks sets. Which ones do you guys recommend and why? If none of them are good for me then please make a suggestion for what you think is better.

I'm going to remove the vortex link I have and put the stocker then shim the shock and have my suspension readjustment done.

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
So, I get a plus one for at least CHECKING the oil???!!!

oh, I did have to add distilled water to the reservoir as it was empty. Thought that odd as it was over full mark when brand new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
How fast are you now? What group are you planning on running in?

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not a track guy yet, but the "conversation" they are speaking of probably means the tires give you some sort of warning to let you know the tire is about to lose its traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm mid group B (intermediate).

Quote:

oh, I did have to add distilled water to the reservoir as it was empty. Thought that odd as it was over full mark when brand new
post #5 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 10:53 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
So, until you find the limit of your current tires, I wouldn't be messing around with slicks. Especially if doing trackdays with the possibility of rain. You're going to eat tires on a liter bike and tires are by far the biggest expensive in the budget. Good sport street tires will serve you just fine as will DOTs. Slicks and some DOTs prefer tire warmers as well. If you start running slicks, then you're in for more money than just the cost of tires.

I recently did 2 days at VIR in the fast intermediate group. My brother was there with me. Both on our Gen 4 ZX-10s, I was on GPAs and he was on Q3s. We were neck and neck about the same speed, with him being slightly faster. Neither of us were near the limit of the tires. His were $250/set while mine were $300+.

Until you can reach the limit of your current tires, best stick with the cheapest ones going.

#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 09-19-2014 at 10:57 AM.
post #6 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Oh, and the "conversation" you speak of is that the street tires will typically give you some warning and "talk to you" when you are pushing them to the limit. You can get them to slide and move around to your advantage and still keep riding on them.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you haven't felt the tire slide, why do you think you need slicks?

Turn your traction control on and save some money. Buying racer tires doesn't make you racer fast.
post #8 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks a lot SD. There were a couple of times where I "felt" the rear sort of slide from underneath me... just a tad to make me up the bike a bit. Is this sort of what this conversation is like? It was unexpected and at high lean angle at T 14 in T-hill.

I'm running the PP3'S and they seem to do just fine I dont really have anything to complain about. But I get this look like oh you in B group now what are you doing riding with street tires..you should have slicks on.

Quote:

post #9 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 11:15 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You're going to get answers all over the place as to what tires you should use. There are sooooo many factors to work with that it's hard to really pinpoint what your should use. But here are a few general things to consider.

You said you are a int track day rider. Who do you ride with? What tire vendors are at the track? With the internet today you can get tires for cheap from anywhere. But what happens when you need support? If you work with a local vender who will be at the track they can help you get the best wear and grip you can get.

As to slicks vs dots, there are a couple things to consider. Are you going to use a slick to it's full potential? How about DOTs? You will usually have a wider variety of size choices for DOTS vs slicks also.

The conversation they talk about is feedback of the tire. Different tires will provide different info for you. An example is Pirellis in general will loose grip and provide a controllable slide/push. But they will allow you to pull the bike back in and get grip again. They will give you a lot of warning that you are pushing the limit of the tire. Dunlops on the other hand will give you zero warning and just let go and next thing you know your sliding down the track.

And finally as to compound and size NO ONE can give you that information on here due to there are so many variables. What tracks are you running? What are the weather conditions? Your pace? Track surface? What is your geometry setup? What is your suspension set up?

I know this is kind of a vague and drawn out answer. But the point is no one here will be able to give an exact answer of what you SHOULD run. They can only tell you what works for THEM within their conditions of the environment and their bike. Like I said before I would recommend you contact your local tire vendor at the track and work with them to get you the best solution.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #10 of 48 Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Great advice evallarta. Thank you. Definitely eye openers and things to think about. CT Racing are the tire vendor and I'll make sure to talk to them next trackday.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in