Pirelli Superbike Pro - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By prplppleatr239

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Pirelli Superbike Pro

Has anybody tried these out yet? Any feedback, specifically regarding wear on the rear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2016, 06:51 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

I've ridden on them on my G4. I got 4 days out of a rear doing low-mid A pace. They do start to slip as you get faster though, and as you get into the 4th day. TBH I haven't ridden on one in 3 yrs since I started racing, so I don't know how much grip they would have new with a fast A pace. I do know that when I first put them on riding in B group, replacing some worn out Michelin PowerSports, I dropped like 2-3 sec because the grip and confidence on them was amazing

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
post #3 of 7 Old 07-05-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks - I killed a regular Superbike slick rear in one day, and need something to last a bit longer than that for budgetary reasons.

Have one of the Superbike Pro rears ordered, will see how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-05-2016, 06:26 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

They're a good track day tire and will last for a long time, which is especially helpful for liter bikes. Think of the Pros as a bridge between a street tire and race tire. They won't tear to save their life but the edge grip won't be as good either. People usually try to combat that by lowering the pressure a little to create a bigger contact patch but it's all up to a point. I've ran them on my 750 and I think they're worth the money. If you want to go racing, then I wouldn't recommend them, as they would hold you back. Also, I wouldn't run Pro fronts. Go for sc1 or 2 for the front.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
Also, I wouldn't run Pro fronts. Go for sc1 or 2 for the front.
Thanks, that was the plan. I have an SC2 front now and it's in great shape and felt really good. The rear is the problem. I'm ok giving up a bit of grip for something that lasts longer.
Lanister likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Just ordered one and hope to got hold of it soon. Bought it from 4 wheel online with a good introductory price.

Last edited by rearviewrider; 07-07-2016 at 09:06 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the superbike pro rear tire. It just doesn't grip very well in my experience, and I haven't tried the pro front so I can't comment on it. Granted, this was on my 600 versus my ZX10 but I just could not get comfortable with rear grip. Seems to last forever but I won't be buying more of them. I gave mine to a guy with an SV650 and he loves it.

For strictly track days, the Metzeler racetec RR rear in the K3 compound lasts a long time and in my opinion grips better than the superbike pro. I was able to get 4 days out of a K3 rear on my ZX10 running normal advanced-group pace. The Metzelers have a very similar feel to a Supercorsa DOT race tire and I've used an SC2 front in combination with the Metzeler rear. For track use, even though the Metzeler K3 is marketed as a street/track tire, it can tear if you don't use warmers and get nuts with it on the first lap or two. It grips a lot better with some heat in it, too.

What compound was the slick that wore out in one day? What was your tire pressure? Do you use warmers? The Pirelli slicks can get torn to pieces if your pressure is off or if you use the wrong compound for the track temperature. I don't know where you ride, but some tracks have really abrasive pavement that could contribute to wearing out too fast as well.

I had to make some changes to my riding technique when I started using race tires. I have destroyed a rear tire in one day with ham-fisted throttle application combined with slow corner speed. More corner speed and smoother (but earlier) throttle application helped a lot, along with some suspension tuning help from a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in