Old tires? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Old tires?

My dad recently bought a gsxr 1000 and i mean two weeks recently. The bike is an 09 has 2miles on it and it still had on the original tires. We asked the dealer about the tires and the said they would let the bike leave with bad tires. They also said the bike had a power commander but didnt. Now 600 miles later the bike is totaled and my dad is hurt also hes 50 so its gonna take him time to heal. Now he said that the front tire went out like ice around a turn and isnt sure if the front tire blew. If u look closely inbeetween the treads you can see hairline cracks in the rubber. And also is a dealership required to change the tires on a used motorcycle the bike was bought as a used one. Thanks in advance. also the outer edges of the tire are glossy like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

it most likely had too much air in it. what were the tire pressures? i run on old tires and i run my new ones to the bone usually without issue. what tire were they? if it was an actual legal problem i suggest looking up your states laws and looking at the papers he signed when buying it. if its sold as is, then its sold as is and its on you. if it didnt have a power commander, then you can push for them to purchase one but it seems like a moot point now that its totaled. depending on damage, buy it back and rebuild it. gsxr parts are cheap, just keep an eye on the gsxr/gixxer forums
post #3 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
There is always a way to hold someone accountable for anything and vice versa(in most cases), it really boils down to how much money you have and state and federal regulations. I'm going to assume you want to take legal action based off your context. My advice to you...schedule a consultation with an appropriate lawyer to find out if you have a case. The accident report, state he purchased motorcycle and the state where the accident occurred, will also play a factor. I hope he has a full recovery.

Note look into everything before diving head first and stay on top of insurance claims?

Bear Jew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Tires have a 5 year shelf life. Mounted to the bike means nothing. Any tire over 5 years old should be scrapped and replaced. The rubber has likely out-gassed to the point of losing it's pliability and is very hard with little grip, especially if leaned over. There is a 4 digit manufacturers date code stamped onto the sidewall of each tire. Likely those tires were molded in 2008 if it was an '09 model. WAYYYYY too old to be running on the bike regardless of how much tread depth there is.

Sad to hear your story and hopefully your dad recovers quickly from his injuries. Unfortunately, the dealer isn't responsible. The bike was basically sold "as-is" since it was used. It's up to the buyer to verify the condition and choose whether to purchase it based on that condition. There's not much recourse you have in this case.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Hernando Send a message via Skype™ to Hernando
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Tires have a 5 year shelf life. Mounted to the bike means nothing. Any tire over 5 years old should be scrapped and replaced. The rubber has likely out-gassed to the point of losing it's pliability and is very hard with little grip, especially if leaned over. There is a 4 digit manufacturers date code stamped onto the sidewall of each tire. Likely those tires were molded in 2008 if it was an '09 model. WAYYYYY too old to be running on the bike regardless of how much tread depth there is.

Sad to hear your story and hopefully your dad recovers quickly from his injuries. Unfortunately, the dealer isn't responsible. The bike was basically sold "as-is" since it was used. It's up to the buyer to verify the condition and choose whether to purchase it based on that condition. There's not much recourse you have in this case.
I agree with this to some extent. Still many variables that makes it impossible for any of us to answer.( Start here does the state require an inspection? Did the dealer place an inspection sticker on it? What are the agreement terms?) I watch a lot of judge Judy

Bear Jew
post #6 of 26 Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If there is any statement that says bike is being sold "as is" or in "used condition". I don't see how you can hold the dealer responsible!!! I bought a used 05 last year in may and rear tire still had a sticker on it. But dealer didn't know how long there were on, so I ordered a fresh set an had them spoon them on when I picked it up!! Even knocked $300 off the price for me!! I go by the rule, its 2 wheels not 4, so used bike would get new rubber and fluids regardless!!! Hope your dad recovers! But if you think you can get legal action.....go for it! Lawyers need more money and courts need more lawsuits.

post #7 of 26 Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Last year i bought a 2002 zx12r with 1,800 miles. Carefully rode it 5 miles and parked it until my new meats came in. It's just not worth the risk, your health insurance deductible is probably more than the cost of new tires.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
Last year i bought a 2002 zx12r with 1,800 miles. Carefully rode it 5 miles and parked it until my new meats came in. It's just not worth the risk, your health insurance deductible is probably more than the cost of new tires.
Ill tell you now im never riding a bike with out some PP's i still cant believe this shit happened

post #9 of 26 Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
it most likely had too much air in it. what were the tire pressures? i run on old tires and i run my new ones to the bone usually without issue. what tire were they? if it was an actual legal problem i suggest looking up your states laws and looking at the papers he signed when buying it. if its sold as is, then its sold as is and its on you. if it didnt have a power commander, then you can push for them to purchase one but it seems like a moot point now that its totaled. depending on damage, buy it back and rebuild it. gsxr parts are cheap, just keep an eye on the gsxr/gixxer forums
the front rim on the bike got demolished and iv gotta check the rear tire preasure and hopefully its over full. as for damage there was a hole grinded into the case so idk how much work it could take but it has a full exhaust that's worth 1200 that didn't get damaged
post #10 of 26 Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

thanks for the info the tire was made in 2010. i wish i would of just had the tires replaced but i know that know and as for my dad he has 7 or 8 broken ribs a broken coller bone and hes looks helpless and my mom cant take it between him hurting himself, me totaling his bike last year,and him hitting a deer the year before. she wants to get rid of the bikes and i don't blame her but that's deffinetly not happening and my dad still wants to ride so 2 against 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in