Ohlins v Elka - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ohlins v Elka

Hey guys trying to decide what shock to get. It seems there are a few run out sales of older ohlins shocks for the gen 1 model KA345. However I can get a 3 way elka for not much more. Just after some opinions from people that have used these shocks for street and occasional track use. Leaning toward the Elka as I know the company will take the time to set it up for me. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I like my Elke on my Gen 1 but, if the ohlins is actually cheaper, I'd probably go with that simply because of their reputation as a higher quality shock? For some reason, the rear end of my bike liked a low ride height with my Elke. I even pulled the ride height washer out of the top shock mount to give me more range of negative adjustment. I put the front forks flush with the triples too. The gen1 is already a short bike with a steep front end rake. If you mess with too much rear ride height adjustment on these aftermarket shocks and lower the front, the bike feels like it's understeering and going to tuck the front end.

One thing that I do like about the Elke is the easy preload adjustment. You just stick an allen wrench in the holes and turn it. There's a thrust bearing between the spring an the adjustment collar that make it super easy to turn. No lock ring or anything. The ohlins might be different?

Here's a pic. The red and gold anodizing really stand out.

post #3 of 31 Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

would you say the bike is a lot better over sharp bumps? I imagine that it's miles better than stock but the roads around me have a lot of washboard style bumps which suck with the standard rear. My re-sprung re-valved forks handle it well and that's the sort of improvement I'm hoping for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nude10r View Post
would you say the bike is a lot better over sharp bumps? I imagine that it's miles better than stock but the roads around me have a lot of washboard style bumps which suck with the standard rear. My re-sprung re-valved forks handle it well and that's the sort of improvement I'm hoping for.
How one or the other soaks up bumps has more to do with how you set them up, it's not an indication of quality.

Both are more than adjustable enough.

If your talking the same price between the two, or the Ohlins being cheaper, than I see it as a no brainer, Ohlins all the way!

Ohlins don't sponsor people yet nearly every top end competitive team run there products by choice, says allot to me.
LDH likes this.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ZX10BURNER
Both shocks are quality items and you really can't go wrong with either. Price difference aside one of the biggest differences is the support you can get with Ohlins. Ohlins has a much larger knowledge base to draw from for set-up, service, and support. If you plan on track days or racing you'll find more set-up information for the 10R with Ohlins at specific tracks, tires etc.

I've run Ohlins on my bikes for years; have the 46 PRXLS on my 04 10R along with the 25mm kit, both items perform very well. Honestly purchase the one that is more cost effective for you and which shock/dealer offers the support you may need for set-up/service and least amount of down time.

It's Not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Last edited by ZX10BURNER; 02-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

agreed, that both shock choices are of quality. I also think that both companies offer great support. Don't forget about the penske line while you make your choices.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
post #7 of 31 Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Ohlins for sure!! Elka should stick to ATV's it's what they know.

05 ZX10r "the Mongrel": GP Suspension rebuilt forks, LE Penske double shock, 05-06 ZX6rr shock linkage, Brembo RCS MC, Nissin calipers (best mod for this bike!!!), Attack rearsets, Motion Pro Revolver throttle kit, ASV clutch lever, Champs sliders, smoked Zero Grav DB, Ti caliper bolts, CF fender, Renthal grips, Speedo healer, Maviryk MDA123 batt, Supersprox +3 520, That's it..... For now

190/55>190/50
post #8 of 31 Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

bought the ohlins will let you know how it goes. Hopefully it cures the running wide issues!
post #9 of 31 Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nude10r View Post
bought the ohlins will let you know how it goes. Hopefully it cures the running wide issues!
Is the bike not turning on exit?

post #10 of 31 Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I found this thread and wanted to revive it instead of starting a new one. Where did you find an Ohlins for cheaper than Elka? I can get a Stage 4 Elka for $760. Is there any other opinions out there for Elka? If I could get a Ohlins for cheap I would.

2009 R6 Racebike - Up for sale!!! Let me know if interested.

2013 ZX10R- SOLD

2008 ZX10R- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in