Ohlins TTX KA931 base settings - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-28-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Ohlins TTX KA931 base settings

I am looking for information on a KA931 for a Gen 4.
I am 92kg or around 200lb in my gear, wondering what would be the base settings and the recomended spring rate for the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Green blood I will check out my KA931 booklet that came with the shock!I remember reading "base settings"but not weight based settings!I will get back to you today.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-31-2015, 12:06 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood7 View Post
I am looking for information on a KA931 for a Gen 4.
I am 92kg or around 200lb in my gear, wondering what would be the base settings and the recomended spring rate for the road.
Assuming you are using the OEM linkage, 202 lbs in gear would put you right on the edge of a 115Nm spring at 30mm of Sag

Comp 10 Clicks
Reb 14 Clicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-31-2015, 12:34 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks LDH for clearing that up!as I said pretty sure the booklet only gives base settings!happy New Year LDH keep safe!stay happy,
Cheers
Peter
post #5 of 12 Old 12-31-2015, 12:43 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Those are standard settings for compression and rebound. There is no such thing as settings based on weight alone. It is impossible to custom set up damping rates outside of a generically decent setting that would work for most average riders. If you install the correct valve spec and the damping rates are close enough then with the exception of very few individuals the one size fits all philosophy will work and it does and with an Ohlins shock especially the TTX versions very rarely will anyone actually need to deviate from those settings more than a few clicks in either direction.

I mention the above because I have seen where some suspension companies claim to custom setup the damping for each shock for the riders weight and that is just a sales gimmick at best. "Rider Weight" is just one of a myriad of variables that go into selecting a damping curve.

In contrast selecting a spring rate is mainly based on rider weight
CanyonCarver likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-31-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks for the response guys.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-31-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Assuming you are using the OEM linkage, 202 lbs in gear would put you right on the edge of a 115Nm spring at 30mm of Sag

Comp 10 Clicks
Reb 14 Clicks
So when you say "right on the edge of a 115Nm spring" should i go for a 120Nm or 110Nm spring?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood7 View Post
So when you say "right on the edge of a 115Nm spring" should i go for a 120Nm or 110Nm spring?

By the book at 202lb in gear you should be using a 120Nm spring. At 199lb in gear it would be a 115Nm spring so you see it is very close either way and you will either end up with a softer spring running more preload or a stiffer spring running less.

There are pros and cons to both ways and generally speaking an undersprung bike can be ridden much easier than an oversprung one, but the Gen 4 complicates this issue by having a really stiff start rate on the rising rate linkage.

In the real world if this is just a streetbike I would likely go with the 115Nm and it will be just fine. If it is a track only bike I would get one of our linear race linkages, revalve the shock to match and install a 105Nm spring.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
By the book at 202lb in gear you should be using a 120Nm spring. At 199lb in gear it would be a 115Nm spring so you see it is very close either way and you will either end up with a softer spring running more preload or a stiffer spring running less.

There are pros and cons to both ways and generally speaking an undersprung bike can be ridden much easier than an oversprung one, but the Gen 4 complicates this issue by having a really stiff start rate on the rising rate linkage.

In the real world if this is just a streetbike I would likely go with the 115Nm and it will be just fine. If it is a track only bike I would get one of our linear race linkages, revalve the shock to match and install a 105Nm spring.
Thanks LDH, I will go with the 115Nm spring.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-04-2016, 04:28 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You ever go listen to live music at The Orient or is that way too touristy for locals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in