Offering swingarm conversions Harris style - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Offering swingarm conversions Harris style

I received a box of parts today to modify the first of what I figure will be several of these swingarms. I wanted to have the Quick change swingarm parts that Harris offers to World Superbike teams and British Superbike teams and all I could ever find was somone's used and highly worn out or missing parts used junk to buy. Shipping a swingarm all the way to the UK wasn't anything I wanted to do either so I decided I would buy the parts and modify my own and then it became obvious that others probably wanted these as well and for the same reasons didn't have one. So I'm going to be offering these. I'm a machinist that is also a welder as well so ding these won't be a problem. I have bought a 3/4" 1.25" thick Blanchard ground surface plate to make the fixture to assure these arms will be dead strait and true once the welding takes place. For now I'm going to show the pictures of the parts involved. keep in mind they are laying upside down on the bench so the caliper is up top in these pictures. There's one or two where the caliper is on the bottom sitting on a shipping box. These have a captive nut and the caliper stays in place with the wheel out of the frame. The inside of the draw type adjusters are machined where when you machine your wheel spacers to the right dia the wheel will lay right in position for the axle to slide straight thru with everything perfectly lined up and NO HANDS required.. These are true MotoGp quick change items and top quality.. My setup has a HUGE axle 28mm compared to 20mm OEM size for a 10R.. It's no problem to make that fit since my BST's and all BST's come with 30mm inside race bearings and the axles are made to fit with the captive wheel spacers. SO all that needs done is the spacers bored out to match the axle and PRESTO! Once I finish this one I'll post up pictures and price for the job.. The parts you see including the rear caliper is like $1,400 so far

Should end up with something very close to this.. Except these newer parts are much nicer than these older once.. Much more thought went into the design and machining of these..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
back to car scene

Posting Frequency

I wish I had a ligidimate reason for this mod lol
Cause its awesome looking
Btw like those dymags!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot View Post
I wish I had a ligidimate reason for this mod lol
Cause its awesome looking
Btw like those dymags!!!
The picture at the bottom of the bike isn't mine. That's just to show what the finished product will be like. These newer generation parts are much improved over the ones on that bike but still the same basic idea... I personally hate the OEM chain adjusters on the Kawasaki's since they always seem to move somewhat in my opinion.. The draw type adjusters are what all MotoGp factory bikes use as well so they must be THE way to go when only the best will do since those bikes get nothing that don't need to be there and nothing but the best part for the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

This is pretty awesome, and i hope it works out great for you man.

But you can get a quick change kit for the rear for $500 bucks.

It is not at nice as this one, and it doesnt come with caliper or lifts, but we all know racers are always looking to save money.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa View Post
This is pretty awesome, and i hope it works out great for you man.

But you can get a quick change kit for the rear for $500 bucks.

It is not at nice as this one, and it doesnt come with caliper or lifts, but we all know racers are always looking to save money.
I've seen those made with a set of Gillies adjuster blocks and teflon bullet stuffed in the end of the axle. I forget the guy that sells then but he races older style Ducati's I think if memory serves me correctly.

Comparing that to these is night and day but I understand saving money. However I seen a pair of those Gillies adjusters wadded up so that don't sit well in my mind. There's always cheaper ways to achieve the same deal to some degree if you look hard enough. The caliper isn't part of the package only the hanger. What kills us Americans is our PISS POOR dollar strength across the globe. There's bolt on swingarm extensions and then there's complete aftermarket swingarms. Lesser options are always offered for less money regardless of the product in question. These are simply the top of the line and the real way to do the job 100% right. The only move up from these would be a factory built swingarm like a MotoGp bike would wear but look closely at every MotoGp bike and you'll see this is the option they use for chain adjustment because they simply do the job without fail. The 28mm axle made from Titanium verses the skinny 20mm OEM ZX10R axle is also a HUGE step up in strength in one of the most critical parts of any motorcycle.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Balogiannis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I've seen those made with a set of Gillies adjuster blocks and teflon bullet stuffed in the end of the axle. I forget the guy that sells then but he races older style Ducati's I think if memory serves me correctly.

You are probably talking about fastfrankracing...

I have the same adjusters as yours on my gixxer,but in order to make the setup work like it's supposed to you need to space your rear rotor at least 3-4cm out,so that when you pull your wheel back it won't interfere with your rear caliper...

If you don't do that then it's just cool but not a true quick release

Here is a picture of my bike ( with a wider than stock swingarm )

If I remember correctly team Bolinger that races in endurance had the caliper bracket mounted outside of the swingarm!

I really want to see it when you're done although I can't do it on my ZX10
post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yea that's the guy Fast Frank that rings a bell. Quick change isn't my real purpose for using these. Over the last 3 years I've been building a one of a kind one off ZX12R that when done will be one of the trickest Kawasaki ZX's of all time. The chassis and suspension has been changed in ways that no one prior has ever done. My purpose is to build this bike using the best of everything that's out there. This was just the last detail of the suspension. The swingarm has already been switched over to a Gen2 10R which is shorter in lighter than OEM 12R. The blocks are to add back 1" of wheelbase to put things exactly where I want them verses close enough. All the other trick parts to the package are just added benefits. Since I had to track these down and bend several arms over a period of months at Harris to get them to agree to sell me the parts without shipping them the swingarm so they could do it the way they envision it not the way I envision my own plan wasn't an option. Where I still working where I had access to a CNC Milling machine I would have simply made these myself but I don't.

With all that said I figure there are racers that would like these for exactly what they are intended for so I thought I would offer to convert swingarms for people that want them. Lester Harris did tell me about spacing the brake side to clear the caliper upon wheel extraction and warned me to be careful to not crack the cast swingarm sides in the process. I bought 2 sets I'm also swapping out my wife's GSXR 750 just to keep her stuff as trick as my own. I will say the Suzuki Swingarms are HEAVY as hell compared to the Kawasaki units. Her 06 750 always felt a lot heavier than my 10R and by golly I think it surely was if that swingarm is any indication to the rest of how Suzuki does things.. I'm not sure if I'm going to space the brake rotor out to take full advantage of the quick change option of my 12R project since it's damn sure not a road race bike. The 12R always had a brutal motor but weighed a bit much. My goal is making the 12R sub 400 pounds which I've don with a ton of light weight everything and some creative thinking and fabrication. The motor project taking it to a very trick 1348cc rocket will rival the chassis and suspension.. Every part of this project has been one off, one of a kind and did I mention there's not anything remotely as trick as this bike on the planet that I know of anyway..
post #8 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Yeah, i also was talking about Fast Franks.

Your setup is definitively trickier.
A Ti Axle alone costs a fortune.

Balogiannis that GSXR is awesome! Congrats

And lets see some pics of that zx12!

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa View Post
Yeah, i also was talking about Fast Franks.

Your setup is definitively trickier.
A Ti Axle alone costs a fortune.

Balogiannis that GSXR is awesome! Congrats

And lets see some pics of that zx12!
I hope to let some pictures out this year. There's some real dirt bags that hang out at the old ZX12R site now known as Kawasaki World that lack integrity or skills to build anything on their own. I've had parts stolen by dirt on that site, copied and sold for profit by other dirt bag thrives that also lack skills to develop their own ideas into actual parts. I don't want to see any of the trick parts I've paid to develop and perfect showing up for sale on the internet before my bike makes a splash all across the net with all my hard work being credited to the rightful owner ME. And yes the Ti axle and swingarm pivot are something like $300 each..When you compare the 20mm ZX10R axle to the 28mm unit it's unreal how small the 10R unit really is. Lester Harris was very vocal about Kawasaki's choice to use rear axles that small on bikes with so much power. Spending time speaking with a man like Lester that has worked with every manufacture there is and has all the inside poop on why they all do the things they do made this whole process worth the cost alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in